Changing decoder address help needed

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
I finally figured out how to instal the decoder on my own BUT now I can not change the address from the default 03. I emailed digitrax and they said [and I quote]: "You cannot change the address of a Tsunami with the DCS100/200 without Soundtraxx's Program booster".
So I am screwed here. And soundtrax says NOTHING about needing extra anything on their website in order to change the addresses on thier decoders.

Unless someone knows what buttons to press on the superchief to change the address I will have a 600 dollar dud on my hands. If I had known it was gonna be this difficult to get answers and help from soundtraxx and digitrax and bachmann I never would have gone into DCC. This so annoying I don't know what to say.
So any help would be appreciated thanks.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Stephen,
Our club uses E-Z DCC from CVP products. I'm not familiar with digitrax except that when the club was looking into going dcc originally, Digitrax was one of the first systems we eliminated as not having anything adequate for what we wanted to do. There are a lot of folks on this board who use Digitrax and I think the Tsunami as well. You would probably do better to post this question in the DCC Forum.

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
how old is your decoder? The older ones had problems with the super chief, but the new ones should not.

I know how to do it with the DT400 throttle, but not the other ones.

put the loco on the programming track, plug in the throttle and hit PROG and use the left throttle to select AD4. It should display AD4=???. Input the road number, and hit ENTER. It should say wr[] (working) and if it's ok it will say ok. That should do it.

If it's an older decoder, set the road number to 2 digits (set it to anything but 00 or 03 or anything that you already have on the layout), then plug the throttle in and hit PROG when you're on the main layout and set the left throttle to AD4=??? and it will ask you whether to activate it. Hit Y and set the road number.

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
The decoder is one of the latest ones out diburning. It is the micro tsunami 750.

Anyhow the guy at digitrax said it won't work without a power booster from soundtrax. I am just ticked because it is a known problem and soundtrax says NOTHING about it before you buy their decoder. Typical scvum in my opinion. Of I can I will get my money back for their deception and buy a different decoder. If not then I will consider myself fooled by them and treat them accordingly. Obvious scum.
I am on a disability fixed income and so far have spent a tenth of my annual income on DCC and so this really hurts. Oh well.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Actually, it's not Soundtraxx's fault that Digitrax has a weak-kneed programming signal.

The signal booster (also needed with older NCE systems and a few others) is only about $50 Canadian. If you can afford $600 for loco and sound, the extra $50 shouldn't be that big a deal to make it work.

I understand you're frustrated, but don't you think "scum" is a little harsh?

L

lester perry

If you knoe anyone close by with DCC have them program it for you. If you do this read up on it maybe download the information on soundtrax web site there will probably be a few CVs you will want to change. This is one reason I am a big supporter of th LHS . You buy it from them you can go there with it in your hand asking for help. That is what I did.
Les

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Squid and Lester. Problem solved. Shawn [in another forum] has a spare powerpax and is sending it to me free of charge :D

Lester the link doesn't appear to work sorry. But I have downloaded and printed out their manuals thanks :)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The older DCC systems were designed to program the older decoders that did not include sound.
Sound decoders draw too much current for the older DCC systems, so they have a problem programming those decoders.
I believe that turning the sound off, helps ease the load, and address programming can then be done.
I too, have had "my conversations" with DCC manufacturers. Learn, adapt, survive.
Oh, and good luck!:thumb:

fsm1000

Jun 4, 2006
Coquitlam BC
fsm1000.googlepages.com
Sumpter thanks. Well as soon as the mail arrives with my package I will get started on using the powerpax and have a slew of new questions I am sure LOL.

Hopefully I will make a bunch of videos showing how to instal a DCC and changes CV's etc. I will see:)

Harold Cole

Feb 15, 2006
Clayton Delaware
Stephen,i've got almost the same DCC setup as you Super Chief DCS200& DB200+ and i don't have any problems with Sountraxx decoders.I have had to put an extra load to the programing track from time to time.As of lately i've done several with no problem programing.