Changing colors and designing

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Shipbuilder, May 11, 2006.

1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder New Member

8) Hello to everyone out there. I'm a noobie in case you can't tell and I have a couple of questions. I have seen people in the forums talking about changing the color of models they have on their computer because the colors are wrong or they want to change them completely. I particularly love ships and it got me thinking that, for instance, you wanted to do a destroyer and show it as it appeared in WWII and then, say in Korea, you could probably use the same basic model and scratchbuild the different items you would need but the WWII version would probably be in Measure 22 or 32 versus the Korean version in the standard Navy "gray". How do you go in and do this and I guess that begs the second question which is what programs do people out there use to do their own models. I have heard people using Photoshop, CorelDraw, etc and those are programs I have heard of. What does it take to have a program where you could realistically design your own models for use. Does it take some type of AutoCAD program, etc. Sorry lots of questions but I live in Virginia and Norfolk Naval Base is only 4 hours from my house so I am looking forward to getting going. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. buzuc

buzuc New Member

Here is my way of "recoloring" a model.

First it's easier if the file is a pdf type so you can open it directly with photoshop or illustrator.

And then you just have to play with all these funny tools in toshop:twisted:
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Builder..........

There are many different way and kinds of software to build with. Check out the post by barry, in the ships. He builds from scratch using software to design and un-fold the design so it can be modeled in paper. He always show how and why he does stuff and will answer question if asked.

Some cost others sre free to use. Just look at the various threads and you will see what I'm talking about.