Changed mind on scale. Looking for sratch built and S scale info

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Drizzt, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

Well i decided against the O scale layout. Im not going to be able to incorporate things like a roundhouse(wich i have been fascinated by since i was a little kid btw) into the layout space i have. anyway planning on sratchbuilding some locos to try to save some money(hey if i can scratch a basic one it wont even have to be to something with no body on it to roll around while im buildng and wont cost as much :) ) plus the whole point of me getting into this was to find something to occupy time and i think that would definetly qualify as a time consumer,might even turn a profit off of it eventualy :). anyway im realy needing info on scratchbuilding locomotives(diesel or steam im not picky right now) and S scale in general like were to get track etc. etc...... thanks for the help, i realy like this board, ya'll arent beligerent like some of the other places ive gone for help on things
  2. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

oh i found this place to get stuff from
    meant to post that earlier
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi Drizzt ;)

Another site: (S Helper Service):

I think S-Scale is great! The opportunities for hand-laying and scratch
    building are unlimited. I went with HO just because of the size and availability.
  4. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

I realy probably should be heading to HO but as my mom says im stubborn as The Jackass my renters have on our pasture land down the street. i just cant brin myself to go that small. S-gauge will be a nice compromise between Ho and O and will fit my budget better. i like scratch building.............the more i read the beter i like this concept of build your own locomotive..................and s scale is the smallest i would try it(i paint miniatures so im very good at doing fine detail work........ive even got a realistic looking faces down pretty well on them....not bad since there about an inch tall)
  5. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

S-Scale vs. O-Scale... Go Narrow Gauge!

Either way, the point is to have fun...

I don't suppose I could lure you into the dark realm of Narrow Gauge rialroading... It's the place where scratch-building and Kit-bashing rules!

Using regular HO/OO gauge track. (16.5mm) gives you a lot of Narrow Gauge fun.

For S-Scale, (1:64) HO/OO track works out to ~42" [Sn42] A.K.A. Cape-Gauge.

For O-Scale, (North American 1:48 {1/4" = 1'}) HO/OO track works out to ~30" [On30]

For G-Scale, (1:24 {1/2" = 1'}) HO/OO track works out to ~15" [Hn15]

For all of the above you can use cheap HO/OO mechanisms and Scratch-Build or Kit-Bash the rest...

Many HO/OO mechanisms can also be re-gauged slightly wider to On3 if you want to do more hand-laid track... With a bit more fuss, you can widen the gauge of many HO/OO Mechanisms to S-Scale Standard Gauge...
  6. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Luke, don't go to the dark side!

Scratch building "S" will be just as rewarding as scratchbuilding in any guage. If you decide to stick with "S", you might want to check out the Putt Trains website for some "S" engine kits. Also, Des Plains Hobbies has some nice plastic "S" rolling stock kits and some good detailing parts. I think you've already been told about Paul York's website. Spend some time there and really check out the links. Also, check out the manufacturer's links at the NASG website.

HAve FUN!
  7. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

thnks for the info........not terribly interested in getting into narrow gauge. thanks for the sites and ideas
  8. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

S scale, scratch built.

Try this link.
    It is a British prototype S scale layout that was in the Toronto area. The layout is now gone, but a new one is expected. I have operated the layout, and it is 99% scratch built, as there are almost no S scale parts for English trains.
    (Link may not work forever.)
  9. Chessie1973

Chessie1973 Member

Judging from your forum name I am guessing you are an RT.A. Salvatore fan and that the miniatures you paint are of the gaming variety.

If that is the case you shouldn't have any problems painting up anything you scratchbuild.

I go my start in building scenery by making dioramas with my painted miniature figurines and I have used the skills I developed doing that to advantage in building my layout.

Good luck with things and I think you will like S Gauge. I very nearly went that route myself but no hobby shops in my area carry S gauge and I share this hobby with my mother so we decided on HO scale instead.

Ane advantage to S scale is the fact that there is a huge industry of 1:64 scale die cast vehicles already out there. You can easily find the cars, trucks etc. you will want for your layout.
  10. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Regarding sources of S scale information, don't disregard model railroading magazines. Plans for HO scale and others can be switched to S or O easily using a scale ruler (available at most hobby shops), and sometimes you get lucky and find plans that are in your scale already. Check any and every library where you can get a card, and back issues can often be had cheaply, when you can find them.
  11. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

chessie- Yeah i play warhammer and 40k :)

Dave- stil pick up MRR and model railroad craftsman(only to mags i cant get around here) almost once a month:)
  12. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

S scale has a fair supply of trucks available and of course Kadee couplers. There are some nice American Flyer cars that convert to scale with a little work. If you are into more modern cars, sheet styrene and strip can replicate the current cars out there very easily.
    You talk about scratch building your engines. What kind of engines are you thinking of? Steam or diesel?
    If you are going to hand lay track, NS code 100 rail works out real nice. I use Shinohara code 100 flex track myself. Also, switch building is almost a must in S. There are a couple of custom switch builders but otherwise, Shinohara is the only game in town at the moment. They have #6 and #8 switches. This assumes you are talking about scale switches. If you are going to run AF type equipment, then AM and SHS have sharp radius hi rail switches available.

13. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

realy thinkin about wither kind of engine..............probably will start with diesel seems much simpler
  14. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

How much would you scratch build? Trucks, frames and motors are available, but it would almost be cheaper to buy a diesel and kit bash. American Models used to sell parts, all except the engine shells.

15. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

i can scratch an awful lot, especialy with some pics. The trucks and motors are the biggest things i'lld need
  16. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

American Models sells just their trucks and motors, IIRC. If you want some parts numbers, I can dig out my instruction sheets and see what they list.

17. Drizzt

Drizzt New Member

thnks that would help when you get a chance(right in the middle of building a quite large model of the arizona so wont be ready to start on a loco for a good while