Change in Elmers formula?

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by shrike, Jul 8, 2007.

1. shrike

shrike Guest

I use Elmers brand PVA for all of my models. It's cheap, doesn't smell bad and here in the desert it sets up quickly enough that I don't need to use Aileens or any of the thicker glues.
    I usually pick up a years supply at the back to school sales when it's $0.20 a bottle instead of $1.79 - just makes sense, and I'm cheap<G>

I used one of the new bottles the other day because it was handy and I noticed that it dries to a clear high gloss. Last year's crop, and for that matter all of the previous bottles I've used dried to a matte finish that matches the texture of card stock much better. The new stuff is shiny enough to use for instrument glass or tiny windows.

So now I'm wondering if Elmers changed their formula or if I need to 'age' the current crop (build a glue cellar?<g>)
    I still have plenty of the old stuff left - buying it a litre at a time has it's advantages - so it's not a critical issue yet.

Is it just me? is it the current glue, or is my old stuff the odd man out and I should be grateful as long as it hold out?
  2. mellotronage

mellotronage Member

I've not had the same problem you've had. This may be a good chance for you to check out Aleene's Tacky Glue. It's great PVA, very similar to Elmer's. Granted, you won't get it for .20$ either, but it's good stuff.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Are you sure it's the same white Elmer's? They make at least 2 or 3 different versions (School Glue, Glue All, and I think Crafter's)

I alternate between Elmer's Glue All and Aleen's, both with similar results.
  4. shrike

shrike Guest

Elmer's Glue All. Some minor labeling differences. The new batch has a "U Promise" logo in one corner,and slightly different formatting of the text on the back so I can tell them apart, other than that it's the same variety.
    It seems a little bit thinner, runnier, but I attributed that to its freshness. Could be there is a different, or smaller quantity of filler or thickener in it.

I usually squeeze out a dab onto a palette and use toothpicks for applicators. Here with the humidity in the single digits for most of the year it grabs very quickly and the unused quantity thickens and dries up in minutes.

I've used the same stuff for years for various applications (thinned Elmer's makes a great stucco prep/surface stabilizer BTW) but it's always dried matte.
    I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed a change.