Challenger and excusion tank question....

Chesticus

Mar 14, 2008
The Challenger has 2 excursion tanks that follow the main tender as it runs (this is as it runs today). I have read that they are 800 series tenders. My question is can they be found for purchase in HO scale?

Chesticus

ed acosta

Aug 4, 2005
Washington-British Columbia
Perhaps some Union Pacific expert will come along and provide a lead on those tenders. Until then, let me give you the info I have. Seems like the UP Northerns FEF-1 once used that tender. The later FEF-3s were given the centipede tender identical to the ones on the Challenger and Big Boy. I recall that the UP Northern that was produced by American Flyer in S Gauge was an FEF-1 with that same tender you are asking about, but in a different scale. Unfortunately all of the current suppliers of the 4-8-4 are producing only the FEF-3 with centipede tender. It so happens that I have a UP turbine with that exact tender, BUT YOU CAN"T HAVE IT!

Here is a link that explains the origins of that tender:
SP 4449 & UP 844 Doubleheader!!! by Robert D. West

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
There's 3 yellow aux tenders that I know of. One round Aux, similar as to the ones offered by Lionel with their HO turbine (Deano just got one). The two others I've seen are also turbine hand-me-downs, however they have a sloped end (to help with the exhaust on some of the turbines). They can only be found in Brass, both OMI & Hallmark.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
How much work would it take to kit bash one of the aux tenders from either a Bachmann Gs-4 tender or a Bachmann aux. tender for the J? I looked at the link, but the pics were so small I couldn't see any detail, and while it explains the origins, I don't remember seeing a pic of the aux tender there.

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
Here's a sloped tender:
WaterCar_UP814_01.jpg

upX18a.jpg

Seems the 2nd one is at IRM?
up26d.jpg

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh, your 100% correct:thumb: , that second tender IS at the IRM, but now its painted like NEW to match #18:winki::mrgreen: .

:deano: -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
This might not help, and sure, its easier said then done, but honestly, looking at my tender, i think these wouldn't be real hard to scratch build:winki: . they are about the same size as a paper towel roll, or if you wanted to go heavier, perhaps a wooden dowel. cover it with a thin sheet of styrene, add the railings & trucks, and your about there:thumb: .

EDIT: If you were interested in trying this, i would be happy to take pics of each side of mine, and give the dimensions:thumb: , though its to big for my current layout, so i keep it at my dads since his layout is much larger. i will be stopping at dads on Saturday, if interested, just say it and I'll do it:thumb: .

seriously, it really doesn't look to hard to scratch build, if you have the time and patience:winki: ...just a thought:smilie: .

:deano: -Deano
tender.JPG