Challenger 2 (angkasa)

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by Tirta, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Tirta

Tirta Member

Hello Guys,

This model is from Angkasa, an Indonesian magazine.
    The scale I think is about 1/50 (my guess, since it is unmentioned in the magazine).
    It is very suitable for beginner, the kit is simple enough but with the right amount of details to make it looks good.

here are some pictures:

the hull:

parts of the turret:

almost finished hull:

put the turret on the hull:

almost finished:

I will post some more pictures after I finish it.

For those of you who familiar with this tank, please let me know what can I add to give the model some more nice details.

Best regards,

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Now that was a quick build! ;) looks great! How do you maintain your sanity with those treads?
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

the tank tracks - cutting them out is such a pain :)
  4. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Nice work, Tirta!

Your Canadian friend,
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

The scale is a bit small (1/50) for individual links. Even Halinski wouldn't be that sadistic.

One of the things you can do with band-type tracks is score across them where the tracks hinge - this gives a much more realistic look.

6. Tirta

Tirta Member

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the nice tip.
    I will try to do it in my next kit.

I do have one problem with this type of track, when you glue the upper and lower part together and
    then bend it to match the wheel position on the tanks, the paper always shifts and creases.

If I bend it first, glue it later, I solve the problem.

But if I want to detail the tracks by cutting or making holes on the tracks,
    there is another problem:
    the upper and lower parts do not match after bending,

how do you solve this problem?
    Please advice.
  7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Is Angkasa a paper model magazine and do you have a link for it?
  8. Tirta

Tirta Member

hi rmks2000,

angkasa is an general military magazine, here is the link:

challenger2 is from this book: Angkasa Paper Models Collection, Main Battle Tanks Series.
    It has 5 MBTs: M1A2, Challenger2, T-90, Lecrerc and Leopard 2A4.
    The price is about US$5 for the whole book.

the publisher of this book is gramedia:

If you have difficulty getting the book, just let me know :D
  9. Tirta

Tirta Member

It is finished.

It is very fun build. :D :D :D
  10. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

Nice tank Tirta

11. Krzychu74

Krzychu74 Member

Tirta: very nice model! :) Challenger 2 and Leopard 2A4 are my favorite modern tanks.

Best regards.
  12. Clashster

Clashster Member

Nice build! Gotta say tanks are my favorite! Let's see more!!!

13. Tirta

Tirta Member

Ok, here are some more pictures:

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.
    This is a simple model, I think everybody can do it. :D :D :D
  14. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

Tirta, you have a good skill..nicely done.. it's really neat.. When I design this kit, i never achieved the neat that you've done in these photos :), really. I enjoyed designing but I always lazy to build it again..

The first design prototype is bigger than this. But when editing the book (angkasa paper model collection) it had to be fit to the print area.. so i never mention the scale... sorry for the unconvenience. :)

Yeah.. you chose the right tank.. this tank is also my favorite among other (M1A2, Leopard2, T-90, Scorpion, Lecrec).

Now, I'm building the next edition.. it's about armored wheeled vehicles. The model are : Humvee (always n must.. :) ) , Defender RDV, Mamba Mk2, M151, Zobel and Barracuda (Indonesian Police AV)...

Thanks for buying my book.. I really appreciate it.. :)
  15. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

The Scale

Hello guys... I'm new here :), Is there anyone can help me? I need 3 view drawing.. or at least photo from side view to build Defender RDV from scratch..
  16. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

mikromodele it's just a name

to KRZYCHU74 : I've visit your website...Ooo my god... look at the size of the battleship.. it's surely small... no i mean tiny..:) you must had a good skill building it... nice man :)... sorry the title should be : mikromodele it isn't just a name
  17. Tirta

Tirta Member

Hi julescrafter,

Thanks for the compliments

so you are the designer of these angkasa kits.
    welcome aboard.
    I have a lot of fun building your kits (2 tanks so far).
    you should design more tanks: 2A5, Merkava, or T-80 or other T-72 variants.
    I really enjoy building paper tanks. :D
    About the scale, are these MBTs in the same scale?

And you should know there are some errors about exhaust cooler / toolbox on your Challenger2, you can read it here:
  18. Krzychu74

Krzychu74 Member

Hello! :)
    julescrafter: thank you for nice words. I`m glad that my litte models pleases you. Scale 1:100 is my favorit scale. Battleship isn`t me. I`ve wrote abot it in threat about my new project:Here

Best regards.
  19. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

Merkava & Scale

I've plan to build merkava in the first time, but like we all know, everything 'bout that jew's country in Indonesia is very sensitive... Although myself still impress about israely army.. their still unbeatable... and their tank is so beautiful.. and I collected their photos, line drawing, video for my future model.. so it's all about the market target in Indonesia... So I have to choose the right Modern MBT of all the world to fill 5 slot in the book. Scorpion it's a bonus to attract indonesian military enthusiasms.

The tank's scale when I design the kit, formerly in the same scale but.. when editing the book, like i said before it had to be fitted. The result is, the challenger kit is more small in scale compare to others. ..and one more time it's about production cost for the book.

Angkasa Magazine ordered me to build next edition 'bout armored wheeled vehicle.. so another tank kit is postponed...
  20. Maurice

Maurice Member