CEV-Derived Mars Lander "Eagle II"

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by dhanners, Jul 18, 2004.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Added some photos of my latest, the Eagle II, to my album. I may go back and re-do the ladder handrails and a couple of other details, but so far, here's what it is:

CEV-Derived Mars Lander Eagle II
    Scale: 1/72
    Scratchbuilt from paper, cardboard, wood and aluminum foil

This is an original design of a conceptual manned Mars lander derived from a Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV). The lander is a component of a larger spacecraft assembled in Earth orbit and sent to Mars. Upon arrival at Mars, the lander detaches and enters the Martian atmosphere protected by a conical aeroshell, which is then jettisoned. After being slowed by parachutes, the lander fires its two ascent/descent motors to further slow its descent for a soft landing.

After the astronauts' stay on the Martin surface, the lander again fires its ascent/descent motors to launch into orbit (the landing leg structure is detached during launch) and then it rendezvous with the orbiting Earth-Return Vehicle.

The model was scratchbuilt from paper, cardboard, wood and aluminum foil. Various kinds of paper were used, including 65-pound white and colored stock, special white and black corrugated paper and silver paper. The body comes in three main sections, from bottom to top:

Propulsion Module -- A model rocket body tube was used for the basic shape, and it was covered with silver paper. I printed various details (access ports, panels, rivet lines, etc.) onto the paper. Other details were made from paper of various weights. Wood “tanks†found at a surplus store were covered with gold-colored aluminum foil from a Cadbury’s chocolate bar; they are the spacecraft's propellant tanks. The rocket nozzles are re-sized versions of the motors from the Delta 7 Studio Gemini-Titan II rocket. Small wood dowels were used for the landing leg outrigger struts. The foot pads were made from small wood disks and cardboard. The main landing legs are tubes rolled from 65-pound paper.

Habitation Module -- A section of an empty Morton's Salt container was used for the basic shape. It was covered with black and white corrugated stock, with an upper band of silver paper. The surface exploration hatch was designed on my computer, printed out and cut and folded to shape. The boarding ladder and handrails were cut from heavy stock paper. The Reaction Control System (RCS) housings were designed on the computer, while the RCS nozzles are silver paper (colored black on one side) that was rolled into small tubes and sliced to create individual nozzles.

Command Module -- The CM was made from 65-pound white stock, cut and formed into a cone using dimensions gleaned from an online shroud calculator. Details were added with heavier and lighter paper stock.

Various details, such as markings, warning placards, access panels and other items were designed on a computer and printed out either directly onto the paper used to make the body, or they were printed out onto lightweight paper, cut out and added to the model. The U.S. flag and NASA "meatball" were cut-and-pasted from online sources.

Aluminum foil (from the Cadbury’s bar) was used on various parts of the model to represent insulation blankets. Also, small boxes were made from paper and covered with foil to represent external equipment boxes. Bare Metal Foil was used for the metallic sections of the landing legs and for the insulation seal between the CM and HM.

For the base, I found a map of Mars online, printed it out and glued it to a section of foam-core board. The board was then glued into an old picture frame.

The model is approximately 7†tall.
  2. Nice job on the build and the design. :D :D
  3. nathanp

nathanp New Member

Very nice scratchbuild! Bet it smells good too. Mmmmm, chocolate....<drool>

4. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member