Ceresota Flour N-Scale

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Hi all again, I found this pic on the web and for some reason fell in love with it. It's simple features, the signs, the whole darn thing. So I thought I would try and catch the essence of it in N-Scale, I am not done with it yet, but what do you think so far.
The first pic is of the real thing and the second is my model I scratch built. DUH :eek:ops:

Attachments

• C Flour.jpg
    C Flour.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 246

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
Which one is the model, the top or the bottom picture :)

Immediately when I saw the picture, and before I read our post, I thought "wow, what a perfect building to scratch build", and you did a fantastic job at that.

I too would like to know how you did the sign on the wall.

Great great building. :thumb:

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Thanks everyone for the kind words. To put it simply, I used v-groove styrene for the basic building (only four walls), a lesser width boarding for the peaks, and card stock with printed shingles for the roof (although the light faded in the picture on the right side) I did on the puter. The sign I made using typing paper as it is much thiner than regular paper. The color will vary on typing paper for the same reason that it is thin, so allow for this, mine turned out a little darker than I wanted but oh well. I used a grey primer with alcohol and india ink wash to wheather. I think the windows and doors are Grant line. The end walls and the back wall were done my way as the picture does not show in the prototype. There are only windows on the back wall, a loading area on the far end area and a door and window with a roof on the other end. More signs are on the back wall. It is a simple building but the looks just drew me to it. I have pictures of all four sides if any one would like to see them. I also made plans for it if anyone would like I can e-mail it to you. (has actual ft. dementions on it for any scale) I was going to make a tutorial of it, but don't have the patients for it once I start. Hehe.
Thanks again, Jim :D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Jim,

Great work! Thanks for the step-by-step. I know what you mean by the "no patience". I often get going on something, think "gee - this would be good to document", and then end up with few or no pictures 'cuz is just so much fun to work on the thing. To heck with the pictures :D

But I for one would like to see all the pictures of your building, and maybe you can put the plans up at the Gauge Yahoo group (talk to jon-monon about that).

Andrew

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:sleeping: And here are the plans I did on the computer and worked off of. The peaked end I used for the dock is the same size as the frt. & back peaked. Makes it easier to do. Hope this helps and enjoy. I am off to do something else. :eek: ;)

Attachments

• CeresotaPlan.jpg
    CeresotaPlan.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 205

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
You have taste Jim

Man oh man Jim, that's a real gem. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Everything about it radiates the charm of a slower pace of life that we seem to have lost.
I hope you don't mind sir, but I filed it all for my future reference and danke, danke, danke for the drawing too :wave: :D :D

Heavens above Jim, I hope you havent been keeping other photos of timber buildings from us. :eek: If you have, get 'em posted! :D
You made a darned good job of this structure, I just wish typwriters were still used these days in this backwood of Scotland! ;)

:D Why did you leave the trees out of the model? hehehehe

Errol

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
another question about the sign.
Which program and which font did you use to create the Cereta Flour sign?
I tried to make one in PagePlus 9 using 'Times New Roman' font, but it doesn't look right, yours is much closer to the real thing
Again great work, and thanks for sharing.

See this is what I got, not even close.

Attachments

• c-sign.JPG
    c-sign.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 106

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
jkristia said:
another question about the sign.
Which program and which font did you use to create the Cereta Flour sign?
I tried to make one in PagePlus 9 using 'Times New Roman' font, but it doesn't look right, yours is much closer to the real thing
Again great work, and thanks for sharing.

See this is what I got, not even close.

Jesper, here is the font I used with a little work on it. :wave:

Attachments

• Sojourm Font.jpg
    Sojourm Font.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 101