CDU performance

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Guys,

I put together a Capacitor Discharge Unit for firing the turnout motors, and I just wanted to comapre performance with others.

It was a kit, (about $10), and I find it will only power no more than two turnout motors simultaneously, and also, needs about 1 1/12 seconds to recharge before enough capacity is in there to switch the next turnout. It has two capacitors (couldn't tell you what value, cause I'm not at home), and is powered by 17 V AC off my controller.

Thaks guys. :wave:

F

Fred_M

As a rule, CD units are only made to fire 1 turnout coil per cycle. And they are for use only on coil (selonide) type machines, not motors as you say? Fred

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
When I say "motors", Dash, I mean the solenoid ones, not the "tortoise" ones.

I would like to fire multiples, like, when you have opposing turnouts on parellel track. (track switching). Fire them both at once, in either "through mode" or "cross over mode".

Or have "set track" switching. i.e. "Mainline 1 -----> engine yard". which may involve setting a number or turnout appropriately. Or "ladder yard track 4 -------> mainline" in a flick of just one switch. :) :eek:

No more derailiments because you "forgot" that one turnout!!!! or visually checking the turnouts at the other end of the layout to make sure you got them all right, before moving the train off!! :curse:

F

Fred_M

Like I said, most CD units are made to fire 1 selonoide. Look at the link on the LED/turnout post of your's as there are other ways to switch turnouts and have the lights and all work without using CDUs. Fred

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Woodie: I have a couple of them. I can fire at least 2 coils at a time, but sometimes have a stubborn one.
Mine takes more than 1.5 seconds to recharge.
Friend Bill has a monster unit but takes 8-10 seconds to recharge; it also welds contacts in pushbuttons.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
If you use a stud and contact method, as Shamus does, then you won't have to worry about welding switch contacts. Then you can use a heftier xformer to power your turnouts. I use 12 volts rectified to 10.5 volts dc, but have 8 amps available. I routinely throw 5 twin coil machines at once.

Gary