Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White Glue

• Other

• Total voters

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
I was wondering what most people used when putting the foam roadbed down on the pink foam.. I've used the Woodland Scenics Foam tack glue for this in the past, but was reading alot about people using caulk.. What's the advantages of using the Caulk vs the Foam Tack Glue?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I use white glue for my track bed and it works GREAT and holds very well. I don't have the pink or white foam though, I have the cheap white foam stuff (I live in CA and I can't get the pink or blue stuff here) :mad: wall1 :( :rolleyes: but I image that it will work just as good on the pink/blue stuff as it does on the white foam :thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i use 3M door panel adhesive for cars.its VERY tacky though so watch your fingers!its safe on foam since theres foam in car doors and its alraeady somewhat ground colored so i dont worry about it bleeding through.but so far its been working and is rather cheap.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I use the caulk (latex), since it is cheap, easy to use, and can removed (with a putty knife) if needed. It can also be painted/covered if you get it where its not supposed to be (don't ask ;)).

Andrew

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
Guess no one uses the Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue.. I used it on my last layout. It's a water based product.. Comes up easily.. Although the Roam Road bed can't be re-used.. (Not that you would want to).. I did just recently get a Battery Powered Caulk gun, so I may try caulk this time. :)

jbaakko

Jun 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
rr.blockchoice.com
I used the WS glue cause it came with my Mod-u-rail sections, and to me, it was a rip off. The adhesive caulk worked better. I bought the "DAP" brand, in the squeeze tubes so I don't need a caulking gun.

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
What was wrong with the WS glue? It takes a while to adhere, and works best if you spread it out after applying it.

Southern4449

Aug 3, 2006
I lay the roadbed down and lay the flex track on top of it and then place some small nails thru the flex track. When I go over the area with paint and ballast it holds it all down..
If I need to make a change it all comes up without any damage..

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Just getting some tests done right now and the yellow carpenter glue works fine ( and is cheap )
I did a diorama last year and Woodland Scenics Hob-e-tac adhesive enclosed with the diorama kit is still holding well.

About liquid nails foam adhesive: I used it to glue the pink extrudee foam on my hollow core door, but if I'm left with a half used tube, can I close the tube abd reuse it some months later ?

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I don't know if my vote counts, like everything else I kind of beat my own drum.
My road bed is cut from leftover "maranti board" {1/4 " plywood} stuck dowm with a mishmash of stuff, caulk,white glue,yeyyow glue and paneling adhesive,depending on what was laying around and how big a gap there was to fill.
The plywood roadbed is pretty labour intensive but I got a lot more time than money.

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Do you use this for the track as well? I nailed my cork to the foam w/ 3/4" #17 wirenails then i nail the track to the cork w/ atlas track nails. It works ... o.k. :) but my area is not perfectly straight and i'm on a super tight budget so i was thinking of using some form of adhesive. Couple of gotchya's though i used 18" radius turns. As i am learning my 6 wheeled locos can run on it, but they REALLY don't like to run on it ;). So i have to pull it up and put down 22" or bigger turns. I'm sure this is going to happen in other areas of my layout so what do i use to allow for this flexibility?

IMG_0135.JPG

Squidbait said:
I use foam-safe spray adhesive. 3M 77 (old formula, if you can find it).

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
Biased turkey said:
About liquid nails foam adhesive: I used it to glue the pink extrudee foam on my hollow core door, but if I'm left with a half used tube, can I close the tube abd reuse it some months later ?

I've done this with some success. I'll typically shove an appropriately sized nail down into the tip to keep it clear, then tightly wrap the whole business up with packing tape.

This is with various forms of caulks, not liquid nails. To avoid forever fastening the nail into the tube, I think I'd just try the packing tape, and drill through whatever plug may happen to form while it's in storage. Good luck!

johnnyb1216

Jan 7, 2007
Biased turkey said:
Just getting some tests done right now and the yellow carpenter glue works fine ( and is cheap )
I did a diorama last year and Woodland Scenics Hob-e-tac adhesive enclosed with the diorama kit is still holding well.

i use wire nuts also

J. Steffen

Feb 3, 2007
Hemet, SoCal
I bought a huge bottle of Elmers glue for seven bucks. Worked really good on the foam roadbed and styrofoam subterrain. I didn't expect to have sooo much left over but I'm sure I'll be able to use it elsewhere on the layout.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for the tip about using a wire-nut for closing a tube that has been unsealed.
I can't even use what's left of liquid nails in the near future because I won't use extruded styrofoam to build the hills but use paper wads instead.

stary

Jul 22, 2002
bridgeport, pa.
Visit site
I use both white glue and the WS FOAM TACK GLUE; and am satisfied with both. If only WS didn't make their bottle hard to squeeze the glue out of, though!:curse: I take the top off, and apply it with a paintbrush.