Cathedrals and Castles

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by miguelj, Oct 31, 2006.

1. miguelj

miguelj Papercraft Addict

Where can I find free models of cathedrals and castles?
    Models that look like this:
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Well Miguel,

For starters, there is a very nice free card model of the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris by Canon Papercraft. On the same page you´ll also find a model of the island of Mont Saint Michel in Normandy, the Himeji castle in Japan, the Neuschwanstein castle in Bavaria, Germany, or the Big Ben in London to name a few:

I think you may also find some free architecture/building models on the Iceberg link page by Peter J. Visser:

There are many free member-downloads on the Kartonmodell-Forum as well (castles, for example), if you take a minute or two to register and become a member:

There are also a number of medieval castles on other link pages - try Googling for "castle paper models" or "paper model links".

Good luck with your castles and cathedrals!

All the best,
    Bengt :wink:
  3. gwssms

gwssms Member

4. tpaetkau

tpaetkau New Member

Where can i get, purchase the model shown above. It is incredible, Any other cathedrals i can buy. I'm in Canada so the selection in stores is non exsistant.
  5. miguelj

I thought so too:) But I was hoping that there's a model or two of that complexity that's free. I also thought that the best things in life are free lol:) I guess that doesn't hold true for this one. Ever since my sister made a model from the canon site, she's been pestering me to find a more complex model:cry: I'll be checking out that the links you gave me. Thanks.
  6. miguelj

Hi there! I found that in I think it's worth $26. I'd buy that model if I had the money.
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Check out and click on the Publishers link. In the France section there is a publisher called L'Instant Durable that has some detailed architecture models. The Czech Republic section has some publishers with good detailed models too. In fact, explore all of the publishers listed. You will find a bunch of good models.:)
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Hello miguelj and tpaetkau,

The model of the cathedral is The Berlin Cathedral in Berlin, capital of Germany. It is produced by Schreiber-Bogen/Aue-Verlag Möckmühl.

Here´s a link to their home page in English. You´ll find the model under "Churches":

You could order it here from Moduni in Germany - you´ll find it as "Berliner Dom" a bit further down the page:

Good luck with the cathedrals and castles!

Best regards,
    Bengt :grin:
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

10. gwssms

gwssms Member

I did several years ago. The models were inexpensive and as I recall shipping was reasonable. I can't remember how long it took...which is a good thing.
  11. gwssms

gwssms Member

Miguel, I was thinking you might be interested in the Sleeping Beauty Castle here: True, it's not a "real" castle in the full sense but it does model an existing "castle" and is very detailed. Best of all it's free! :)
  12. tpaetkau

tpaetkau New Member

:) Thank you for the information. Product ordered and now i've found my new favorite website. I was counting on ebay, but you've pointed me in a much better direction.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

ok ... spill the beans what did ya get?!?!
  14. tpaetkau

tpaetkau New Member

I got the one that is at the top of this page. Was interested in something french as well like Chartres or a cathedral, but thought i'd start with one and see if i like it.
  15. SteveM

SteveM Member

For a free Notre Dame of Paris, Canon has a pretty nice one:

When you are ready for something larger, more challenging (and more expensive) L'Instant Durable has a nice range of French Castles and Cathedrals.
  16. Sticks-N-Stones

Sticks-N-Stones New Member

My first post on this website! I am in the last stage of building the Notre Dame Cathedral published by L'Instant Durable. It is hand drawn from 1985(!) and though there are a few color mismatches I would have to say the model fit together nicely and the graphics are quite attractive and realistic. I softened the mismatch with watercolors. This is only my second card model although I have experience in other media like plastic, wood and metal. In the scale of 1:250 it is a rather large model: 65cm long x 21w x 40t so the Chartres is even bigger! I don't know where I'm going to display this thing....

My next cathedral model will be the 1:300 Frauenkirsche Dresden by Schreiber Bogen. It has more elaborate detail and is a bit smaller. The Hamburger Michele also by Schreiber is also on my must build list. The same designer that did the Berliner Dom mentioned earlier in this thread also did these two.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold! Glad to have a building builder around - we could use a few build threads of those! How about some pics :D
  18. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

The Notre Dame Cathedral by L´Instant Durable

Hi Sticks-N-Stones,

Welcome to the Forum! Great to see someone who is interested in arcitectural models - that´s how I started out in the 'paper modelling game' about forty years ago when I was a teenager, with a simple model of Albrecht Dürer´s house in Nuremberg. I went on and built a little medieval town with some trees from a model railway.
    It would be really interesting to see a picture of your Notre Dame build - I have started the free Canon model of the same cathedral (see link by SteveM above) but it´s not nearly finished yet.
    Good luck with the Dresdener Frauenkirche - it seems like a very beautiful model, too.
    Check out these pictures from the new Kartonmodellmuseum in Heidelberg, Germany, from a thread on our sister forum, Kartonmodell-Forum -
    for example, there are some pictures of a Mont Saint Michel model by L´Instant Durable, the Hradcany castle of Prague (from Betaxa), and some fine cathedrals:

Best regards,
    Bengt :D

PS. Oh, by the way: SteveO!
    I have ordered on three occasions from (from Sweden) and I can really recommend it. They are very pleasant to deal, they ship right away and the models are very well wrapped-up and protected. They have an impressive line of technical and very detailed models, especially the new architectural models of the Hradcany castle and the old town hall of Prague. Betaxa accepts international bank transfers, telegraphic transfers or major credit cards - I used the credit card option and it has worked very smoothly.
  19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

An idea to display your Cathedrals... you may talk to the Catholic church elders at your community and have your model displayed in the Cathedral, or some of those Catholic Schools in town.

Oh! And don't forget to share pictures with The Forum here.
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Plane with a Shark´s Mouth

I´m glad to hear you´ve got a suitable plane with a shark´s mouth for your young son - I´m sure he´ll be fascinated by watching Dad build and help along now and then . . .
    I look forward to some pics later on - good luck with the Curtiss P40 'Warhawk'!

Bengt :D