Casting figures

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Mountain Man, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Does anyone have any experience copying scale figures that they might be will to pass on? I will be trying specifically to cast some N-scale figures once I have them modified to my liking.
  2. Mountain Man

I never thought I would stump this bunch. Put another star next to my name. In fact, put two - while I was waiting for some advice, I figured out the answers.
  3. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Well, when I cast my N scale figures, I usually tie them to a #12 long-shank barbless Mustad, wrap a little hackle around their neck, and throw in a few strands of bucktail for colour.

Tied to a 6' tippet of about 4lb test, I quarter upstream, and usually use the standard cast :whip1:, but if there's too much brush, I'll do a roll cast to get 'em out there. :p ;)
  4. Mountain Man

I usually just take a dump in the middle of the stream. This drives all the fish ashore where I just have to pick out the best ones and throw the rest back.

It's quicker; it's more efficient; it requires no equipment, skills or training and it lets me multitask.
  5. nachoman

nachoman Guest

never, ever thought about casting my own figures, in any scale. I've done some "plastic surgery" on the LPBs to get them to sit in seats or quit waving their arms. What kind of casting equipment do you figure using?
  6. Mountain Man

Not entirely sure yet. I'm thinking of using hard rubber to cast either resin or something similar, once I have created a figure that I like. I don't have a lot of experience casting figures; I used to just modify the dickens out of the 1/35th ones, but obviously in N-scale a different approach will be needed to get where I want to go.
  7. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

I have seen a casting rubber (Dow Corning) that is soft enough that you could do a figure in a 1-piece mold, and just pop it out of the bottom of the mold - in fact that's how it was demonstrated to me, but it was a large-ish (~4") figure.

I'll see if I can find the product number. Once you have the mold, you can use the casting resin of your choice. There's lots of new ones available, and they take a great amount of detail and are very strong.
  8. Mountain Man

Thanks, Squidbait - that would be very helpful.

I'm headed down to an art supply store in the 'Springs tomorrow to see what they have abailable, too.
  9. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

casting resin for plastic and lead

check out micromark, they carry a selection of silicon casting resin for making molds and the various castolite and liquid plastics to make your own molds.
  10. Mountain Man

Thanks, AgO. I'll track it down. :wave:

(AgO = silveroxide)

Back from looking. Very, very nice site with a high "drool factor"! :thumb:

Dear Santa...
  11. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

sign1 Lord, Mountain you about have me pulling stiches!sign1

Back to your regular program...
  12. Mountain Man

13. Fluesheet

Fluesheet Member

14. Mountain Man

Not at all. I was merely making amends for popping your stitches...and out of duct tape. :cool: