Casting and Molding

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by CSXect, Jan 2, 2008.

1. CSXect

CSXect Member

Anyone here try casting and molding parts?

I like Micromark casting resian products nice working time and flows in to molds very easy. I used aluminite but it is tempature sensitive and set very fast but its one good quality is it is rock hard when set up. I am always looking for more resources on this subject, also need to find a plan for a spin caster machine.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

No, but I would like to. The problem is, I never seem to want more than 4-5 of something, so casting seems to be just an extra hastle over building each one individually. I really need an excuse of something that I am going to need 10s of that is either not commercially available or is too expensive to buy that many. Now that I have more time with a new job, I would like to try pewter casting.

3. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

What are you talking about casting?

I know people who cast HO trucks and parts, I want to learn how to do that. Is that similar to what you are talking about?

4. CSXect

CSXect Member

Casting is pouring a material in a mold be it resian,metal or even rubber or silicone. The short answer is yes making copies of a part or a bunch of parts, I would caution those that try casting and molding to NOT make copies of a commercialy available part as that could be illegal but say you scratch build a train car but you need several of those cars if you made a mold of parts and or subassembalies you have cut down the labor of building from scratch multiple times. Making the mold starts with a mold box(must be sealed at the seams to keep mold material from leaking out) pour some mold material into box(may have to mix it up as it usaly comes in part a and part b I use Micromark because it is a 1:1 ratio of part a and part b) place part or object on material that has set up and then mix some more up and pour until it comes up to half of part and dont forget to place a spurso that when you are done you have a place to pour the casting material in. The second pour will adhare to the set up mold, after the secon pour has sat up brush the material with mold release this keeps the other half of mold from sticking to the bottom half which gives you a basic 2 part mold. this was a very simplified explanation but it is realy easy once you get the hang of it and it is fun as well.
  5. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

i'd like to learn some mold making techniques in the future.
  6. CSXect

CSXect Member

The latest O gauge Railroading Magazine has an article on casting and molding parts(grider plates to be exact) this article would be usefull to all scales and anyone wanting to try casting and molding.:thumb: