CASTEL DEL MONTE, a rocky model.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I do ot know how you do all that you do!! Bottle it, and I'll buy a caseload! 55 Gallons containers of it!! :)*****

as long as it's not Sperm, I have way too much of that now! ;)

Tonino

Just a line to confirm you that this project is not abandoned.

During my last seaside vacation in southern Italy I was traveling not far from Castel del Monte. Could I miss it? Not at all!!! ;)

I spent some time taking photos of every single wall, window and door I was able to reach.

Now I have a HUGE photo documentation that will help me adding all the details I can imagine... every brick will have its own spot!

IMG_20170831_181903.jpg IMG_20170831_192700.jpg IMG_20170831_193948.jpgIMG_20170831_191535.jpg

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Are those slots in the building "Archer's slots"? They sure look like that. That is quite a fortress. :)

Tonino

Are those slots in the building "Archer's slots"? They sure look like that. That is quite a fortress. :)

I don't think so. The wall it's too thick and the slot too thin to be useful as Archer's slots. Seen from inside you can't spot anything outside nor try to aim. They more likely was provided only to let in the sunlight to illuminate tower stairs.

torre.int.jpg

Anyway several studies have speculated that the Castle wasn't properly a fortress but something else. The position isn't strategically useful, the "Archer slots" are too thin to be used for weapons, there isn't any trace of a moat outside, and the spiral stairs turn counter-clockwise, in a way that would have obstacled defenders going down toward any attacker having the handrail to the right side instead of the left one, which would be better to keep free the right hand you use to grab the sword.
This probably was a recreation site where Frederick II recovered to study, meditate, and to rest between a battle and the other.
Or perhaps just a symbol of his presence in the land as it was clearly visible from great distance.
Someone even think that Frederick II never set foot here at all.
There is a lot of paper out about this site, I've bought some books there. I'm gonna tell you more as I go on with my reading... :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Looking at the inside photo, maybe they were ventilation vents? It would make sense, their position would cause a convention current of hot air rising bring up the cooler air, and also the removal of any foul air, like from fire places. That's one thick wall!! It must have served some purpose, as that feature is pretty hard to make for no reason at all. Could it be for light too? I wonder. :)