cast-paper sculptures

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by eatcrow2, Jun 1, 2007.

1. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

2. Padre

Padre Guest

Is there anything paper can't do???8)
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I think Gil has a technique for these. Might wanna PM him.
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Paper Casting

Yes, I did a thing on paper casting several eons ago when this website was very young as was the planet Earth. The directed messing about produced a really interesting molding technique. I toyed with the idea of taking it to market as an eco alternative to styrene models. I still have many of the test pieces sitting around (see Dr I cowl piece below). The following site is where I get some of my supplies:

Magnolia is the paper magnet company here in the Bay Area. Take some time to study their catalog. It's quite instructive.

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Incredible. Cant really say anymore than that.....
  6. Loopy

Loopy Member

WOW! The detail and "life" that they portray is absolutely stunning!
  7. Claudio

Claudio Member

This is ART!
  8. lairdre

lairdre Member

Paper casting

I played around with paper casting a few years ago too. None of mine came out anywhere as good looking as the DR1 cowl you displayed.

What did you use to make the molds? I've always wanted to cast some of the curved parts of my paper models to keep it all paper. Is the any chance of you explaining your techniqe again. The people on the site have more experience now, and it seems to me that many our our models are becoming more complex.
  9. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

The Eckman site is absolutely fascinating. Thanks Gil for showing us a small glimpse of the possibilities when you really put your mind to work.
  10. I don't claim to be an expert in this area but I have developed a vacuum forming method of forming paper. Make a plaster mold then using paper wet paper towel (thick absorbant type) vacuum form over the mold working into the depressions with your fingers. Then a layer of white glue then another paper towel. 4 layers works well. I got excellent results on the 1/4 merc capsule in that thread. If you want more info go there under real space 1/4 Mercury capsule. Or e-mail me and i will be happy to help. it is really a useful tool. some less complicated parts can be made directly from cardstock if you let it soak over night.
  11. I need a Pin up girl. . .

Do you guys at cardmodels and all, have a bug in my brain? I was just going to ask if anyone had done any paper casting, because I wanted to add a light weight figure to my model and I wanted some better round cowls and such. Low and behoild, before I ask here is the info! I am getting scared...:eek:

Well, thanks for answering my questions before i asked them....wall1