Cash Machines !!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Mark_1984, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Time for a little trivia. You know the Cash Machines we all take for granted. AKA the AMT, Money Mouth, Hole in the Wall, etc.

Wanna take a guess when the first one was installed, and the nationality of the inventor.

Take a few guesses, and I'll post the answer shortlysign1
  2. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Let's see, since the Chinese invented printed money (a natural, after inventing paper, and then printing), I'm going to guess ATMs were invented in Ming Dynasty China, probably first installed in Beijing. Probably used an automated abacus on the back end. :)

Hey, if Ming-era Chinese (1400s - 1700s) could design and build things like two-stage anti-ship cruise missiles, I think they could handle a simple cash machine.

Now, where is my prize? Or maybe I should ask, at which ATM may I withdraw my prize? ;)
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Now this we could, I repeat COULD google and cheat, but I wont. I know its 40 years old in the UK and Barclays had the first one, and Reg Varney, from On The Buses was the first to make a (public) withdrawal.....
    so in order

and now I will Google
  4. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Nah, I reckon it was some Roman, probably selling proclamations from the gods, via some spaced-out priest. No, hang on, thats putting money IN, isn't it, not taking it out! Sorry, wrong competition, I thought this was the first SLOT machine competition, not the first CASH machine one....

PS Kaz, I didn't google this either! Anyone else getting fed up with google searches being filled with eBay items and other commercial guff?
  5. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I'll give you that one Kaz :) I was amazed to hear it was 40 years - I would have guessed at about 25, maybe 30 at most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.