Carrier Landing C-130???

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by NYC Irish, Apr 6, 2005.

1. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I was flipping through an aircraft magazine and noticed aweird picture of a Nimitz Class carrier and a Herky Bird on its deck...Was this an accident or an edited pic?
    I know of some U2 operations but...a C-130??
    Just curious
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

They had "Look MA No Hook" painted on the side of the plane and I think the pilot the DFC for the "stunt".
  4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

yeah, read one of the sites i posted, they have that spelled out

5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Question for the forums and anyone else. If you have any photos and/or drawings of the U-2G used by the CIA on the USS Ranger, I would appreciate a copy of them or a link to them. I have been wondering what the Dragon Lady would look like with spoilers, tail hook and stronger gear since I first read about it.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

7. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

GEEDUBBYA...thanks for the links. I had seen them already. As a matter of fact, it was the AFA magazine article I saw several years ago which got me going on this aircraft. One of the things I am most curious about is if the Navy had painted "U.S. NAVY" on the aircraft after the modifications.

Monitoring the French nuclear tests was its one and only operational mission. There were many tests of the U-2G on the Ranger, and if I remember correctly, another carrier. The Ranger was the primary carrier used in the tests.

The photos on both of those pages are of the U-2R, not the modified U-2A, called the U-2G, which is quite a bit smaller than the R model. The "G" is the rarity I am searching for.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

10. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The Senior Span U-2 is great aircraft. I would love to have model of it someday. 8v) As for specific on the U-2G...well, that is why I call it a rarity.
  11. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

I do not think that the G Model is talked about but Air & Space Smithsonian the Magazine has a large article about the current U-2 operations this month
    John JOhn
  12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to try and track down a copy of the magazine.
  13. dragontech13

dragontech13 New Member

Herc carrier landing

The pic was no accident, and it was not a Nimitz class carrier. During the early days of the Vietnam War the US Navy did tests for the feasibility of C-130's as COD (Carrier Onboard Delivery) aircraft. The test was successful but considered too hazerdous to put into regular service. I don't know if this was ever extended beyond a few test landings and take-offs, nor of any circumstances after that put a Herc onto a flat-top since.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dragontech,

Welcome to the forum, we are all glad to have ya here! I think everyone who has ever seen that photo are in awe of the thought of putting a C-130 on the deck of an A/C . But, if ppl knew much about the C-130, they would know that it was designed just for such short runways, especially unimproved ones and that except for the hazard of the superstructure and "pitching" of the ship, the C-130 was pretty much in its element on such a small "airfield". And with jato packs, it can take off in alot less space than the air craft carrier offers, with a heavy load.
    Well, anyway, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say hello and I am sure I can speak for all of us, we hope to see more of you since you found us.
    Have a good day,

15. 46rob

46rob Member

The C130 tests were done on the Forrestal CV59. The plane ws modeified to allow the props to reverse before touchdown by bypassing the weight on gear switches. The test was successful, but the arrival of the C2A Greyhound made using the C130 unnecessary. BTW, back in the fifties, the Navy modified a few P2V-3's to be catapulted off a Midway class carrier. Designated P2V-3C, it was an experiment for nuclear projection.
  16. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

There are also videos of the landings and take off availible on the above website

greg aka gw