Carolina Central

jkinosh

Dec 1, 2005
Lorain, Ohio
I was wondering if anyone has built the Carolina Central layout that was in several issues of Model Railroader, and also in the Model Trains Step by Step special issue. I was looking over this layout and have decided that I am going to build this as my first layout. I was transfering the pattern into a copy of Right track that I downloaded from Atlas, and am having a problem, as I cannot get a couple of parts to line up correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to be able to print it out and use it for a template so I could possibly get some of my landscaping details decided on before I actually start laying any track.

Jacob
cool.gif

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Jacob as I recall that layout was built with flextrack so Atlas Right track probably won't work. Living in NC I was attracted to that series. I thought they nailed the foothills region down perfectly. I also liked the fact that unlike most of their project layouts this allowed for lots of operation as well as expansion. Going back to the track if you have the book just follow the instructions on laying the track and pin it down instead of glueing it until you are sure you got it right.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
One of the really coool things about that layout was, that while being a basic oval configuration, it featured staging tracks hidden by a scenic ridge, much like John Allen's original Gorre & Daphetid...:cool:

jkinosh

Dec 1, 2005
Lorain, Ohio
I have read through the article many time, and closely examined their trackplan in the magazine, I found that the problem was that I needed an extra piece of track that was not called for or shown in order for things to line up correctly.

I will try to attack a picture of what I am talking about. I circled where I neeeded to ad a 2 1/2" piece of track.

If anyone has any suggestions or words of advice on wiring, please let me know.

Jacob

Attachments

• CAROLINA CENTRAL.png
    CAROLINA CENTRAL.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 101

KATY

Jul 30, 2005
Liberty, MO
That's the plan I used for my layout. I used a 36" door instead so I was able to modify it a bit. I added a 3rd staging track in back, small, but it will hold a short train, since anything running on this is pretty short. Also made it two stub tracks on the right side for industry.

With something this small, I just laid it all out and cut some pieces till I got it all to fit. It only calls for one section of flex track, but that could be modified. And even a layout this small I went with DCC and very glad I did. Wiring couldn't have been simpler and it's fun to run engines right up to each other.

While I didn't make any elevations this little plan offers a lot in my opinion. You've got hidden staging, passing siding, interchange track, two industrial spurs, place for a little town, a nice treed ridge with some rock face, a river, and a cool little trestle bridge. I even have a little park on mine, hope it doesn't look too crowded.

Have fun with it! I sure did.

Jack :wave:

jkinosh

Dec 1, 2005
Lorain, Ohio
Excellent work, I home mine comes out as good as yours did. It will probably be a couple of months till I get it started, as I should be receiving my first train tomorrow. I ordered the Life-like Freight Flyer set yesterday, and it should arrive tomorrow. Cannot wait to get started.

Any other suggestions would be greatly apprediated.

Jacob :wave:

jkinosh

Dec 1, 2005
Lorain, Ohio
I don't think I quite get what your saying.

Do you mean to use flextrack instead of the curved sections on the Left of my image, where I have the piece circled? or on the other side?

I am new to this, so this layout is going to be a learning experience.

Jacob :wave:

jkinosh

Dec 1, 2005
Lorain, Ohio
Thanks for the suggestion, I may consider doing that as I have not yet decided on what brand of track to use, but I am considering using Atlas Code 80 track, as that is what most of the local shops carry in house. Any thing else would have to be ordered.

Jacob

gringo

Nov 13, 2005
I took the basic plan and added some city switching to it...

Attachments

• final layout plan.jpg
    final layout plan.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 100

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
60103 said:
(I would use flex for the whole layout if I were doing it.)
I'd have to agree. Use fles track for everything except the special pieces (turnouts etc...).
If you want to use sectional track you can create the piece you need with RTS. Connect the two ends with flex track and then zoom in to a setting of 2 or 3 and then follow the flex manipulation instructions.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The loop has a switch on the lower right side that puts a straight piece into the curve at a 60 degree angle. If you insert a straight in the upper left quadrant (same angle) that would balance it perfectly with sectional track. The other option, to put the straight in the lower left quadrant, would mean that you need a 1/3 straight in the lower straight section to balance it.
The straight in the upper left quadrant would look similar to gringo's layout.