Carl's Clay Works little Critter!

nalmeida

Hi there guys, been away for a while and in the meantime I've completed a few projects, some of you that visit other forums may already know it but for the other's here goes:

A few month's ago I started a small 1 foot layout to enter a challenge on another forum. I wanted a small loco to be the motive power, the scale I'm using (O9) is not common so there aren't many comercial choices available, in any case I like challenges so I decided to scratchbuild my little critter.
I was inspired by some of the products by Sidelines (GN15). I decided to use styrene as the main material and I'm loving working with it. I'll be using some brass for the details. I needed a suitable donor for the chassis, since I'm using 9 mm gauge the choice was obvious, the n scale bachman diesel switcher, I already have one and think it's a reliable option for power. As for design/planning I used my favourite vectorial program, Corel Draw.

First of all I designed a chassis that would fit the bachman switcher, it's strong and it fit's "tight" so there's no need for screws to attach it, as a side note I'll be using the chassis backwards so that the biggest part of it will be concealed in the front of the critter:

loco1.jpg

I used a clear styrene sheet on top of the plans so that everything would be on the right place, since I'll be painting on top of it it doesn't matter that it's clear, here you can see the sideframes construction, one of them is already on place:

loco2.jpg

I never worked with so small parts, in the beggining I almost conceded and quited but I decided to try just one of the sideframes and got happy with the results and done the rest, this sideframe measures 2 inch long and 0,4 inch tall. Everything was made out of styrene sheet, except the nbw's wich are from tichy:

loco3.jpg

Finally, a closer picture of the sideframe on place:

loco4.jpg

nalmeida

I completed the front part so it's now on to the details:

locot3.jpg

The front grid was a bit tricky but I think it looks right, I already started on the cabins interior:

locot4.jpg

nalmeida

Everything done on the critter so now is on to the paintshop!

c_final_1.jpg

I went for the swivel seat and I really liked the way it looks, on the front I added the fuel cap. I was undecided about adding lights and horn but decided not to do it, it would "overcrowd" the little "animal" and the industry I'm running doesn't need it:

c_final_2.jpg

Here is the cab interior, there's the brakewheel, the reverse/forward, the gauges, the gearshift, the seat and the throttle:

c_final_3.jpg

nalmeida

Well the critter is ready, painted an weathered, here she is:

c1.jpg

From another angle:

c2.jpg

The other side:

c3.jpg

Interiors:

c4.jpg

On another track:

c5.jpg

Well, that was it, it was my first scratchbuilt piece of motive power and it gave me lot's of enjoyment, will try on something smaller very soon!

webmaster

That's a cracking little loco.

Is that turntable scratch built? If it is, do you have any pics of that as well?

Gary S.

Wow!

One of the best things about The Gauge is I get to see what others are doing, I get to see what is possible, and then I can give it a try. I wouldn't have dreamed that so mcuh detail could have been put into a bunch of raw styrene.

I love it.

doctorwayne

Very nice modelling and good photography too. Are you planning on using link-and-pin couplers? I noticed the multiple coupler pockets to accomodate various car heights, and link-and-pin would be easiest on which to change heights. By the way, what's the source for the checkerplate that you used for the walkways? (or is it chequerplate up here in the Great White North?)

Wayne