cardstock truck/trailers

Although mainly due to the fact that shortage of funds prevents me from buying all the trucks and trailers to fill my intermodal yard, I came up with an idea that not only will benefit my own layout, but layouts all over the place. I have checked the net and no company makes N scale trucks or trailers for that matter made of cardstock. Below is the prototype that I drew up and will continue to release new trucks and trailers in the near future. What I need is input on whether this would benefit any of you. I have been a gif artist for the last three years, as most of you know by my traingif lineup and am expanding to N scale. The prototype model is partially finished below and will post the finished kit once the fenders, wheels, etc are added. This is just a black and white, but I can duplicate any paint scheme. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• truckprototype.gif
    truckprototype.gif
    37.5 KB · Views: 245

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Looks like a good start, Ed. Q: What about the wheels/tires? Seems they might be a little hard to make look realistic w/cardstock. Maybe we need to get out the old Hot Wheels cars for parts!

RockIslandMike, as you probably have already guessed the trailer is just a simple rectangular box with the ends glued to it. As for being optimistic about the truck itself, I can understand as I too am optimistic about how it will turn out. I've laid out the template so that the middle section is one solid strip running between the two sides (which I can't get a pic of). I was just fooling around with an idea a while back that if a trailer can be folded and be as realistic as the ones that can be bought then what about the truck, maybe it's a far fetched idea but the thought of buying 60 or 70 trucks to fill an truck transfer scene or enough to represent a large industry has me giving thought to a cheaper way.

CN1

May 6, 2003
How about you glue the template to foamboard?

I found at Business Depot some foam board about 1/4 to 3/8 thick. The foam is sandwiched between two layers of light cardstock.

Just cut and paint..

:wave: :wave: :wave: ;)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Super idea

For N gauge you have a great idea there WVRR! .... seen from 2ft and more the effect would be OK.

Sir-Prize, thanks for that link... it's worth trying to scale down the drawings to N scale. Wheels only need to look black not thick! .... I d/loaded two of them to try. I might even try sticking the cab side onto a moulding putty and carve out a solid cab, then make a mould and hey presto ... inexpensive trucks! There may even be craft beads out there approximately the size of wheels too.

Now then .... which of you are going to go out and make two measurements to post in here so that dear old Kettlestack can start? :) :D :D :D

It's been some time since I got this excited about anything for my layout ... Thanks again you two.:thumb:

Errol