Cardstock Trebuchet

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by SCEtoAux, Jul 28, 2004.

1. hapes

hapes New Member

I'm interested in building a functional treb, though Shiela's looks pretty cool. Of course, she's very careful to point out that it won't last many firings, so...
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This build works really well. My kids use it all the time. My paper was also only 44 lb - if you make it with 110 it will be able to take a ton of abuse. The pouch they give directions to build simply put - stink. I used the pouch made out string technique from shelias build and it works beautifully. I will post some pics soon if you wold like...
  3. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

p.s. welcome to the forums!
  5. hapes

hapes New Member

So, somewhere in those links, I saw something about printing one sheet on paper, unlike the 6 pages on cardstock (which I have printed on 80 lb paper). Anyone know what that page is?
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

i did them all on the same weight.... worked out fine. I used about 44 lb paper
  7. hapes

hapes New Member

Re: the paper sheet. It seems to have stuff I need for this kit to be completed, for example the paper tubes that support the arm. Of course, it's not available on the site.

Is it just strips of paper?
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Those are not tubes at all. they are cut off round pencils. There are lines on one of the pages to show the length.
  9. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Way Back Machine

I was able to get it last night on the WayBackMachine. Just go to:

In the search space on the WayBackMachine, type in the web address, and it bring up quite a few dates for the website. The pdfs for the trebuchet are there. The only things missing, and I checked out several dates, were a few photos in the instruction web pages (wish the instructions were pdfs as well).

10. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

I didn't use the link for the Trebuchet files. But very useful for some other sites that I had that couldn't pull pics from google cache links. Thanks
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I found my pdf ( I didnt make it, a buddy did) of the instructions send me a PM if you would like me to forward them on to you. Please include your email address for faster service.
  12. hapes

hapes New Member

Hmm..So far, I've been able to make do without the PDF instructions, but I believe the fulcrum joint and joint for the weight are a little weird, so it might be good to get those directions. I'll PM you, yes indeedy!
  13. hapes

hapes New Member

So, I've completed the card construction part of this model, and I have created a duplicate of Shiela's pouch, but I have some questions about the pouch itself, the attachment to the throwing arm, and the throwing arm itself.

1> I duplicated Sheila's pouch...but it's flat, not really a pouch. Is that an issue?

2> One end of the string is permanently attached to the throwing arm, the other attached such that it will release at some point along the arc of the arm. Is this correct? I'm thinking that I will attach a paperclip permanently to the end of the swinging arm, tie one end of the string to that, then having one end of the clip sticking forward such that the free end of the sling slides off at the right point (based on angle of clip). Does this seem reasonable?

3> When I have 70 pennies in the weighted end (as per a previous post in this thread), it drops rather dramatically, to the point that I'm concerned that it won't fling things properly. It never swings past just a smidge beyond vertical. Of course, perhaps the weight from the sling and ammo may slow the rate of rotation enough to make it smooth, instead of being significantly jerky. Would you suggest fewer pennies? Or an alternate weight?

I apologize for asking what are probably stupid questions, but I've never built a siege engine, and I'm expecting to use this at the office against my coworkers :) Thanks so much for your help to this point, everyone!
  14. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I used Sheila's technique for a few of the pouches. When the sling lines are tied to the short sides of the rectangle it forms a cupped pouch looking thingy that works good.

About the hook and sling. Yes, one end of the sling is attached to the throwing arm, the other slips off of the hook at some point in the arc of the arm. For the hook you straighten out a paper clip then bend it double. Wrap a paper slip a few mm above the open end and bend the end of the wire up to capture the paper. Tie a knot at one end of the sling line, then put it into the end of the throwing arm. You will see a few triangular looking voids when looking into the end of the throwing arm. Slip the wrapped end of the paper clip into the same void where you put the knotted string. Friction will hold it in place. The other end of the sling has a loop or small metal ring on it to slip over the end of the hook sticking out of the throwing arm

I use 70 USA pennies for the counter weight. I have built quite a few of the cardstock trebs and so far it has worked out very good. The action does seem a bit jerky, but the results are great. Imagine sending a grape to someone across the room.:grin:

The angle of the hook, length of the sling, counter weight mass, and mass of the projectile all combine to determine when the sling releases from the throwing arm. The easiest things to experiment with would be the angle of the hook, the counter weight mass, and the mass of the projectile. Try changing one or more of those until you get the performance you want.

Attached Files:

15. hapes

hapes New Member

Thanks, Doug!

Between you and cgutzmer, I'm all set, in terms of explanation. I still have to put it together (tonight) and test it. I didn't have any paper clips at home, so I stole 3 from the office (If they complain, I'll leave a dime in the box). I also need to remake my pouch to make look more like yours, Doug. I just seized the ends as they lay flat, which led to a U-shaped pouch, which I suspect won't work as well as a cup shaped pouch. But, I have no more string, so I need to get more of that, too!

Anyway, thank you both for your help!
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well doug was my source so really all thanks should go to him - I am merely a middle man :D
  17. hapes

hapes New Member

OK, well, I finally got it working, in a fashion. My first attempt at a sling is inconsistent at best, with about a 50% rate of forward fire. The rest of the time it just drops behind the treb. I expect that's due to my improperly constructed sling, and short sling length. The launching takes too long unless I use just my fingers to hold it down until I launch, and my ammo currently is rolled up aluminum foil. The cat loves that part!
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use a hersheys kiss wrapper (or two) for my ammo too :) if its coming off that quickly bend your paper clip a bit more. Also does the string length on the pouch lines mach up pretty darn close with the required length? I had to make mine twice cause my first was a bit too short and didnt work for squat. Mine go about 15 feet in the air now and roll all the way to the end of the living room (launching from the dining room) total of a good 30 feet or so. Not too bad for a piece of foil - I dont think I could throw it any further than that.... at least not without hurting my arm :)
  19. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yep, I use Hershey's kisses wrappers for the ammo also. Four of them rolled into a ball seem to work just right.

I modified a trigger from Ripcord's Trebuchet site to use on the cardstock trebs. The string tying thing just didn't do it for me, too clumsy. Go here Ripcord's Trebuchet and choose Triggers from the menu on the left. Scroll down about 1/3 of the way to the section that starts with:
    and look at the pictures to get an idea about making one. I used metal paper clips to make them for the cardstock treb. I tied them on with string on some and used sticky tape on others. Works good.

About the performance of the treb. You need to keep experimenting with some of the parameters I mentioned above to tune the machine in. You might also want to try a different kind of pouch. Check out the pouches on Ripcord's Trebuchet site. I made one like the first sling illustrated on the Slings & Pouches page using a small piece of cloth. It does not require too much sewing. Check out some of the other ideas there. :)