Cardstock Containers

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by rockislandmike, Mar 20, 2003.

1. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Over in TrainOrders, one of the regulars has created 48' containers from cardstock; you may have seen his, or others, already. He sent me the template, and I have since created fifty-four of these; many 48', but I also shrunk down the template so I could create 40' containers as well, which is more in keeping with my era. Some are based on prototype; others are fictional/freelance, some even "protolance". I'm posting four pics as examples. In the first pic, there are three plastic containers; the rest are from cardstock. All containers in the wellcars are cardstock.

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Those are pretty cool! they look great! A big cost savings too I'd imagine!
  3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Pretty darn neat, can't tell the paper from the plastic! :cool: Got to be the way to go for anybody needing large amounts of em'.
  4. guppyman

guppyman Member

Very nice! So how do I get that template?
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Wow Mike - those are great! You sure have been busy! Like Tyson said, you can't tell which is card and which is plastic. Way to go!

:D Val
  6. alex_mrrkb

alex_mrrkb Member

Mike ... your containers are VERY cool !!! I love them !!!

My yard could really use 20 or 30 of theses ...

About that template ... is it a graphic file ? Posting it here would be very appreciated !! If it is not "computerized" (IE cardboard or paper) ... describe it to us so we can build ours !!

Thanks !!!!
  7. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Really Nice Work!

I dunno about those UPS conainers, Mike. You could be asking for trouble. I mean, let those guys on your layout, and they'll wind up trying to take over and assimilate everything.:D
  8. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Those are great!!!

I'll take a couple of dozen twenty footers in O Scale. Please and Thank you!

Please post the templates and or instructions soon.
  9. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

They look great,
    If they could be weathered they would look perfect.

10. rockislandmike

11. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

As part of the printinng instructions, How do you "Enlarge the margins to six inches on all sides."........

What does that mean? six inch margins on all sides???? The paper is not that big????? (BTW.... we work in centimetres here.)

Also, the "default" paper size for Word when adjusting the margins?? A4?? Letter??

I'm confused with this bit of the printing instructions.

Hope you can sort me out. :)

12. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Just a couple of tranparent "Gifs" that are local to Australia if you wanna use them. I've been mucking with the template to get some logos etc on it, and it's looking good. :):)

Attached Files:

13. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Of course, at this point, they need to be put on a white container.... (cause of the "messy" edges).

Anyone else with some samples??

Attached Files:

• tnt.gif
      File size:
      5.3 KB
  14. satokuma

satokuma Member

One can even advertize just about anything on these really cool templates....

15. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Thanks for the info Mike. I love working in cardboard so these containers will be just up my alley

SLUSSERS New Member

1. What do you print them on ? Plain paper or cardstock?

2. Is there a way to modify the template in order to attach the
    ends to the body ?

3. Where do you guys get the logo's like UPS and others?

Here is one I designed. Hope this is right.

Attached Files:

SLUSSERS New Member

And another:

Attached Files:

18. rockislandmike

Woodie, what I would suggest instead of those instructions is to figure out how big the container needs to be for HO scale -- 6.613 inches --- and then make a box in Word (or I used Publisher) to make the size right.

Letter paper definitely.

And I used 110lb cardstock.
  19. rockislandmike

Almost any logo can be found on the web, including older ones. Just do a search using Google Image for whatever you're looking for.

If the company still exists, *their* website's the best place to start looking.
  20. rockislandmike

Last comment for this morning, if you want to be more prototypical, all container roadnames end in the letter "U" and would be four letters max (including the "U"). Road numbers are also prescribed as well, with the first digit being a "6" for dry vans, followed by a "1" or "2" for 48' units (depends on the era, and this is my recollection only). Then typically another four digits.