WIKI confirmed

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by sakrison, Jan 5, 2007.

1. sakrison

sakrison Member

A "Paper Modeling FAQ"?

Since disappeared from the ether, several people have suggested on this forum that we pool our resources and resurrect it.
    Why not do it here, on this forum?

Let me propose a new feature listed right up front on's home page:

"Card Modeling/Paper Modeling FAQ" (

It would include such topics as:
    Advantages ("The glue tastes better.")
    Basic Tools
    Optional But Way-Cool Tools
    Adhesives ("The stuff you chew off your fingers.")
    Printers, Inks, and Paper
    Basic Techniques
    Conversational Polish for Cardmodelers
    (including a handy list of expletives your kids won't recognize)
    Your First Models
    Kit Reviews ("Where to Find Reviews")
    Building Advanced Skills
    Your First Advanced Model
    Your First Serious-Nutcase Model (See Also: "Yamato")
    Canopies and Other Mysteries
    Teensie-Weensie Parts (see also: "Electron Microscopes")
    Gun Barrels, Masts, and Other Infractions (See also: "Handy Polish Expletives")
    Publishers: GPM, Halinski, Gomix, and the like
    Sources: Where to Buy Printed Kits
    Sources: Where to Buy Downloadable Kits
    Sources: Free Models ("Let's see the plastic modelers do this!")
    Customizing Models ("Photoshop and other forms of torture")
    Designing Models ("Now that you're really nuts...")
    Ask the So-Called-Experts (with answers heavy on "see the Dmsetnfapveh thread under Plkjrcv Models, on this site.")
    Some Useful Stuff That Defies Categorization
    Gallery of Paper Models ("To inspire you or convince you to take up knitting instead")

It could be set up like other forum categories, but I suggest that it will be more useful and easier to manage if we limit contributions--keep it as concise as possible--and use it to ease new modelers into the regular conversations and archives on this site. We could appoint a panel of editors--mostly experienced modelers, but also a newbie or two who still remembers what it's like to not know any of this stuff. The panel would set up and maintain the FAQ using information from anyone who wants to offer it.

Most of what we'd need is already here, we just need to gather it, boil it down a bit, and organize it. What's not here, we can find--if anyone can.

I'd keep the panel small. (I hate meetings, almost as much as I hate writing by committee.) And I'd encourage contributions and suggestions from everyone.

This is already the best English Language cardmodeling forum on the net. (Thanks to all the great--if someone twisted--people who gather here.) A new FAQ will make it even better!

Any thoughts?

No worries,
  2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Perhaps it's possible to start with the existing one and update it and add to it? I wonder if the author could be persuaded to either 1) Allow others to do that, or 2) become a member here and head up the team who could help maintain it?

True it is mirrored, but a lot of the links have gone 404 and there could be a lot of new info added.

3. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

I'm with Rick on this. My first foray into paper modelling was to find the Card FAQ. Lots of good stuff but as you say some of the links are 404. I also agree with the suggestions about the structure, set up etc. Another thread was started about creating a "magazine". How about combining the two somehow? Just a suggestion. Still I think this is one of the best sites and adding the FAQ feature would make it better yet. As someone else pointed out it could/would be a lot of work. That being said I'm in just let me know what I can do.

4. sakrison

sakrison Member

Steve Brown did a tremendous job putting the CardFAQ together in the first place. We certainly don't need to reinvent his effort. It would be nice to have him as a member here, if only for his knowledge and enthusiasm for the hobby.

At the least, we should probably have a conspicuous link to the CardFAQ somewhere on this site.

If you know of "404" links on the CardFAQ, let Steve know, and maybe suggest new links. I'm not sure how to reach him, though. His personal link on the CardFAQ is a 404.

The point I was trying to make is that, if we want to expand the audience/membership for this hobby, we need to be looking for ways to keep the site useful and friendly to beginners. I think this forum does a good job of that, judging from recent posts by new members. But we can always improve.

P.S.: Thank you to Thomas Pleiner for pointing me to the new CardFAQ mirror site.
  5. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

Could it be hosted as a WIKI? THat would allow it to be updated.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

You could try PM ing him.
    Did you not notice that Steve Brown is already a member here, was recently discussing the future for the Card-faq and gave it's current location.
    He seemed to me to be undecided about whether to freeze the existing faq as a historic document and start afresh or to update. Action either way (or not) probably depending on the future availability of the necessary time.
    In the past he has preferred to work on his own.

PS I'll leave you to sleuf out the member name. :grin:
  7. Erik J

Erik J Member

The Steve Brown Card FAQ, while still useful, is definitely out of date and needs to be replaced, not revised.

It certainly inspired a lot of people coming into the hobby, and the need for a basic, easy to understand FAQ is still there. If it turns out that the original author wouldn't be doing it, one member (NOT a committee) of this forum should undertake the task to write a new one. As a group we could all discuss what the topics ought to be. After that, step back and stay out of it.

We have a terrific forum here at Cardmodels and should contribute 'how to' articles that go into subjects with more depth, photos, and step by step directions than found in the Brown FAQ. The recent link to the excellent Polish site thread on building/detailing the Ju-88 (original Cardmodels subject was on curving paper into cowl rings) is what such articles should look like.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, and I do think the FAQ and subsequent articles would greatly benefit us all.
  8. sakrison

sakrison Member

No argument from me. And like I said, I hate writing by committee--or reading the results. I guess I didn't suggest a single author because I didn't anyone to think I was trolling for the job. I'll be happy to help whoever does it, in whatever way is useful.

Steve's FAQ impressed the socks off me when I first found it. It still does.
    I think one of its potential disadvantages might be that it's too long. It's mass, while impressive, might also be intimidating to a newcomer. The advantage of doing a new FAQ connected to this forum is that we don't have to include everything in the FAQ, itself. We can make it an introduction to the hobby and link it to the resources that exist in threads on the forum.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Personally I like the idea of a WIKI. Easy to use. Easy for many to update and work on at the same time and there is no reason it cant link to threads or info here as needed. If this is going to get off the ground someone needs to jump in and get it going. I might do it after self assesments at work are done..... man I hate these things.
  10. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I second the WIKI idea. One person could certainly do the initial post (and probably should, to make it go quicker), but later on others can update or add. But where to host it? Could this forum's server do it?

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I do not know if this is a private server or not here so I have no idea if they can or are even willing to host a wiki for us but I have looked through my host and I can and will host a wiki for card modeling. I have never attempted such a thing before and I am in the process of researching it. I would like anyone that is willing to participate to post here with what they can offer - time (very important), advice, proofing etc etc etc :D please only say you will help if you truly intend on participating early on. Once its off the ground and the basics are in place anyone can participate of course but the ground work needs to be solid.

Right now my main request is if anyone has ANY experience with a WIKI it will save me lots of time and effort - let me know :)

Also, Steve, if you are out there please chime in!
  12. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I'll certainly be glad to help with time. I help maintain a number of WIKI pages at work so I'm at least familiar with the editing side. Can't help you with what it takes to set one up as it's done for us.

13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I wont be awake for more than a few more minutes.... ;)
    Do you happen to know what software they use? My two options are tikiwiki and phpwiki..... tikiwiki looks like it might be a bit more user friendly but it also starts as a bit of a space hog in comparison. My resources aren't unlimited. Also if you know how big these darn things get would be nice.
    Good night all!
    p.s. I am off work tomorrow and getting this started is hopeful....

p.p.s. setting it up looks fairly easy - i hope :D
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hello everyone!
    I just confirmed with Peter that there will most definitely be a WIKI (and a donate button) on the website after the upgrade.

There is no confirmed date but it will hopefully be soon :)

I would like to make this the official information gathering thread for anyone interested in helping get the WIKI organized at start (OK - before start) :D adding to info as it grows in size and helping to maintain it. I personally have never built a WIKI so if anyone has that kind of knowledge off the bat it would be a great help. You know, solid foundations and all. I know we had another thread about this and I will dig it up and try to merge pertinent info and suggestions unless someone else beats me to it (hint hint).

I hope that I hear from many of you! I would like to get one core group of people together that would like to help manage the WIKI.
    Thanks all!
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Without a doubt ... AWESOME!!!

This can be a tool to help in SOOOOO many ways. A reference, a tool, security for the community.

Think we can get GPM, Halinski and the like to contribute information?
  16. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Wow, yes!!!

I guess it will have its own search engine and all.

I can think of all the information on the Parts Bin section being in the new WIKI.

I hope this to be a successful venture for all of us.
  17. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Great News Chris!

You devote a lot to this forum (and elsewhere)! Having a Wiki can only help to expand the hobby even further.8)

18. dfarrell

dfarrell Member

What is A Wiki?
  19. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

A wiki is basically a single large collaborative document. I personally envision it to be something like the old cardfaq.

As far as the parts bin being part of the wiki I would say probably not. It's not a place to download from - it is more of a large reference document. However where convenient we can link back to the parts bin as needed.

We also want to keep in mind this will be integrated into so we don't want to compete with the forums - we want to make sure that the two (forums and WIKI) enhance each other.

Keep the ideas coming!