Design Competition

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rickstef, Mar 18, 2006.

1. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I am proud to announce that and Brickboy have teamed up to present to you, the Brickboy design competition.

I would to see all of our designers and repainters have a go at the design.

Only requirement which I have, the design has to reflect, the style, the topics, the attitude, of the site.

There will be two deadlines in this competition.
    The design and voting periods

The design period will run to the end of May(US Memorial weekend)
    I will create a forum thread for you to post your designs, two pictures, one of the finished model, and one of the kit layout.

The voting period will run from the beginning of June to the beginning of September(US Labor Day)
    A poll will be set up at that time, with all the designs listed in the poll.

The winning design(the one with the most votes)(in case of a tie, Brickboy and I will choose the winner), will be added to the brickboy design gallery for all the world to download.
    Brickboy will also create a drawing of the winning design for the winning creator.
    The other designs will be placed in the Parts Bin here on the site.

Also, the winning design will be printed, by me, as a freebie giveaway at this year's International Paper Model Convention, in Dulles, Virginia.

There will be close to 350 people attending the convention, so if yours is the winning design, this will be a great start for kids to get into the hobby, and for parents to get their kids hooked.

I will be printing and building the winning design on my DesignJet Plotter, and displaying the brickboy at the table.

You are probably wondering, how to create this brickboy, well, good news, Brickboy has made available his brickboy template to us.
    You can get it here

If you need ideas, visit Brickboy at

If you need any more help, info, or have any more questions, post them here, and I will try to help you along.

Have fun, be creative, be clean, surprise us.

2. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Is Poobah eligible?
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Yeah he is.

Post him, and when the voting takes place, he will added to the poll

4. rickstef

rickstef Guest

5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Another request.

Please read the which is included in the template file.

All rules, regs, requests must be honored.

Thanks all

6. keith

keith Member

have you checked the design link on that site?
    ermmm.......thats rude!!!! :)
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ok, there are some kits of a more adult nature, you would have read that if you read the News section on his site.

besides the one or two that are on there, the rest are very family friendly.

8. Brickboy

Brickboy New Member

Hello everyone,
    Let me start with that I'm honored to run this competition on your board. There are some truly amazing models around!

As a add-on to the read me file, creating the artwork is not required but If you want to, go ahead! I will create the artwork for the winning design and the original drawing will come your way.

Brickboy was never aimed at children. Somehow people think that papermodels are kidstuff, just like comics. Actually, I have received complaints from parents that it was to difficult to build :D
    Brickboy can filed under so called "platform toys", where various artist can create a design for the same toy.

I hope to see some nice designs but more even that you all have fun building my little fella!
  9. possm_23

possm_23 Member

adult nature that legal......?????????????:twisted:

since i have been doin paper models for only a couple of yrs....i dont think i will all that time i have only successfully completed about 6 models....and been unsuccessful on many many ill just sit back and watch the masters at work........:) :grin:
  10. keith

keith Member

Can i enter this brick-dawg?

It does reflect the style of the comunity as i didn't bother with the build instructions :)

Seriously, if i edit the rear end, can i enter it?
    I added an extra arm piece and ears, they do fit on the sheet.

11. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I like it, go for it

once we go to the voting, it will be added

12. Brickboy

Brickboy New Member

Enter away and if we don't like it, I'll build it anyway :D

O wait, I've seen the image now. Great! He looks a bit like the robodog from the Wallace and Gromit animation. Hope to see the real thing.
  13. keith

keith Member

I've put a 3D model (metasequoia) of brickboy on the page as well, for anyone who wants to mess about with the layout of parts. (CTRL F5 if you can't see it)

Nearly finnished first :)

keith - gone fishing
  14. Maurice

Maurice Member

Piling it on a bit there I see Keith. :grin: :wink:

Catch anything ?

15. keith

keith Member

Maurice? have you become another one of my cyber stalkers? :D

You know i love modular models, it's like having paper lego, and anyway, overkill never hurt anyone :) (and i'm very good at it!).

lets see your entry then..................
  16. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ok Folks,

we are 3 sundays away from the end of the design phase of the competition.

and we have 4 total designs

and I KNOW that we have more than 4 designers and repainters on this site.

Are we scared to compete?

Please don't let me down

17. rickstef

rickstef Guest

All Right People,

We are 2 days from the end of the design phase of the competion.

And I STILL only have 4 designs.

Are we all waiting for the last minute rush?

Let me be impressed folks

18. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Sorry Rick, two things prevented me, lack of talent, and the subject just didn't spin my wheels.
  19. rickstef

rickstef Guest

i don't have the talent either, but i know we have some of the best designers and repainters

ever hopeful