Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Peter T Davis, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Tunny

Tunny Papermodeler

Ouf !!! So it was just some problem with the forum. Two days ago I couldn't log in and I thought maybe the administrators locked the IP Vietnam.
    About the new interface, i feel it unconfortable than before.
    But thank all your works to revive it !!!
  2. Maharg

Maharg Member

Good work Peter. Thanks M8. :)
    My post count went back to one though.
  3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Indeed!! A VERY BIG THANKS to Peter and the rest of the crew who got us back online! We appreciate very much all the time and effort to get things up to speed once again.

I really missed checking in to my family of cardmodelers the last day or two.
    I'm very happy we're back again! (Even if my post count is down from what it was)

4. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

I'm not getting content on any of my received posts. Please send an Email as to a fix.
  5. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Hello all. A big THANK YOU to Peter. Good to see this back up. Just got to get used to this new format. Just want to say I've been reel busy lately and have not had much time for card building. But I'm still here.
  6. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I just came back to, right after a move. Haven't been here in a while. Anyway, to tell the truth, i agree completely with julian. It is good that the site is still up though.
  7. modelnutz7

modelnutz7 Member

Hi Peter,
    Thank you very much for all your hard work In getting the Forum moved and up and running again, I really appreciate It. I value being part of this community.

8. sakrison

sakrison Member

Amen. If I have any gripes about the new format, this is it. Not only can I not quickly scan for new posts from others, but new posts that I make are lost in a jumble of hundreds of new posts from other forums. If I post a request for help, or a question about technique, or a kit review, or a photo, how many cardmodelers are actually going to see it? If it ends up near the end of the list of 250 new posts each day, I'd guess very few.

The lack a distinct list of New Cardmodelers' Posts makes the forum far less useful and user-friendly. That's a shame because a week ago, you had by far the best cardmodeling site on the Net. The value is still there, but it's a lot less accessible.

I'm really grateful for the work you've done and I'm amazed at how quickly this site came back. But frankly, I'd have been happier to wait a week or two for a forum that we don't have to share and one in which we don't seem to be a distinct minority. I want to continue to support this forum--with my posts, and financially, if that would help. But with the loss of a useful and practical "New Posts" list, I don't know if I have the time or the patience for it.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Its easy to fix and has been posted a few times - it just keeps getting lost in the jumble :)

go into the control panel
    edit options
    scroll to the bottom and under misc options choose the forums you do not want to show up

please note there are a few global ones at the bottom you should leave
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

That solved my gripe! I'm excited about exploring the new format. Thank you!!!!!

"It is not necessary to change; survival is not mandatory." -- Unknown
  11. oklacnw

oklacnw Guest

Recently discovered "card modeling" on the net: I had built some ocean freighters (3) while stationed in Germany in the '50s and really enjoyed building them (wish I still had them!) Anyway, I am now 74 years old and enjoy looking at what others have, and are doing with this hobby. Am currently an HO scale modeler of the CNW railroads equipment with Western South Dakota as main senic area. Thanks for letting me join.
  12. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

Yep! If fact, that should actually make it easier for people who want to just keep up with a handful of sections. Like Ryan for example, who only wants the aircraft, armor and design sections, can elimiate all the other sections then have an even more relevant list in the new posts.
  13. airbob

airbob Member

Thank you, Peter!

Also thanks from me for all your hard work!!! have done a super job...Thank you!, Thank you!, Thank you!:mrgreen:
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I care not about how many posts I have or threads created or whatever. In fact if I had only one post and it was this one I would not be displeased. There are some minor issues that are being attended to and I think no one enjoys moving. Eventually things will calm down and business will resume as usual.

I think both sides have to realize what is going on with each other.

As for other subjects jumbled into paper modeling. The setup should be not what one wants to exclude in their forum selection but what one wants to INCLUDE... now if the other forums decide to add more then we paper modelers have to put up with the results of the excluded new inclusions. Not a very smart setup for forum software. Reminds me of online gaming when voice over IP was included in an update... next thing you find is that people come into the server with auto inclusion on and they start swearing, shouting and being annoying or playing music and you have to break from playing to go into settings to shut them off instead of having everyone off except the few you trust and want.

Also the fact that searching for new posts may include shutting out unwanted forums but the forum jump feature is so filled with extra forums now it's somewhat of a pain to use if it wasnt for the fact that the bottom is the area in question. It was bad enough the original forum had repetitive and (IMO) useless subforums but :rolleyes:.

I'm sorry but theres a reason I am not registered on other types of hobby forums and thats because I have no interest in them.
  15. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

Thank You!

Thank you Peter, for the instructions for filtering the new messages list. I'm still a little confused with how to make that work, but I'll figure it out.

I think my first post in this thread may have read in a slightly incorrect way.... I'm not jumping ship entirely, and I'm waiting to see how things develop as you iron out the bugs and problems.

I can still say that I'm not happy with the layout as it is at the moment though. It's still not straightforward or very clear and because of the way you have incorporated all your sites together has now lost much of its individual and personal identity. That is a very bad thing when you are trying to attract new members. IMHO I strongly suspect that it may in fact be a fatal error of judgement.

I also very much agree with SteveO..... That the filter list should automatically be set to exclude everything except for Cardmodels forum messages, and give the option to include your other forums with other subject matter if we want to add them ourselves.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Or it may be a great infusion of new modelers. I must say that since I have been a member I have never seen a run on membership like I have since moving here. Its going to be a test of time to see how it stands here in the search engines....

losing the moniker could be a hit though... it kinda changes the overall community feel from what it used to be.

But I still like it here!
  17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Is there a possibility that we can choose from a range of skins and not just having a fixed one?... That might be too far away, the top priority now is getting things back in order. Keep up the good work everyone ;)

And I agree with Chris that I came here initially because it is a forum only for cardmodels, that's changed now, but I'll stick to here no matter what happens next.
  18. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

I need to iron out the glitches before I can think about adding new featuers, but a lot of what you guys are asking are great ideas.

I like the idea of having the filter new posts feature working the reverse of how it is now, that you select which forums you want to see instead of selecting the ones you don't want to see. I'll do it as soon as I figure out how to code it (and have the time to impliment!).

Having options for different 'skins' is a time issue too. It's probably a weakness of the software, but each and every skin takes the same amount of work for me to setup and keep up. For example, when the company that makes this software issues an upgrade which includes changes in the templating system, I need to update, and re-install any customizations. So, if an upgrade takes me a half-hour, that's per skin. So, if I have ten skins for y'all to choose from, that's five hours worth of work. Just though you should know why I'm reluctant to add new skins.

I have a dozen other new features I'm working on rolling out too. Some major ones, that you just won't find on other similar websites, and some small ones that are just meant to make it easier to use. When I say it's a "work in progress" I really mean it. :)
  19. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Sounds great. We're not here to work against you ... we just have a standard level of bitching we have to maintain.

20. 3Turner

3Turner Member

Just wanted to thank Peter for getting the site back up and including the "exclude forum" selection as I am one of those unlucky few that is on Dial-up here in the middle of no where. Pages load so slow, but I will make do. I can actually click on a topic, then go make a light snack and when I return, the page is loaded. ;)

Again, thanks for the fast transfer of my humble retreat from work. :)