Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Peter T Davis, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

For the record, I'm going to post this announcement in here so anyone who didn't read it while we were down, can have a chance to see.
  2. JerzyBin

JerzyBin Member

I was very sorry to see your letter last night.
    If I could offer some help, please let me know.
    I am working on quite a few websites and am leasing fully dedicated Linux server in Germany that I believe can host the forum if needed under old domain address.

Since I am paying for the server anyway for business needs, I believe forum could also be used there as well.
    PM or email me if you find this offer useful.
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I must say you did an excellent job getting this back up and running very quickly. To top it off we get to check out your other sites! I love model RR - cant wait to see what the others are :)
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Can't believe the forum is back up online already. A big "thank you" to everyone working behind the scene ^_^
  5. Jim Lionmane

Jim Lionmane Member

Great job Peter!!!

I'm amazed of how quick the transfer have been, already up and running.
    Well done, Sir!

But alas, nothing is ever so good, it isn't bad for something. *Warning* Gripe ahead!

I find that the new site is slightly slower than the old, slightly annoying but tolerable.

And in the different categories, all posts seem to be doulble, one with normal posts and one with all subposts double again. I take it, that this is only a minor bug due to the extremely fast move.

Otherwise: Excellent Job!!

Kind regards

Jim Lionmane
  6. Fozzy The Bear

Fozzy The Bear New Member

What Is This!!!

Errmmm Sorry..... I was relatively new to So no high post count or anything.

But I have to say that I really don't like this new format.

I really don't want posts all jumbled with model railway and model aircraft and radio control and other hobbies, can't fathom out the layout of this at all, or why it needs to be such a hotch potch of stuff that I simply don't want to know about. I'm probably off to look for an alternative card model forum, because this is just completely offputting, the way it is now.

We seem to no longer have a proper front page with the latest post listed, unless I'm missing something here. We seem to have multiple repeated threads and multiple repeated posts in some threads and lots of links dead or wrong or missing. The layout seems to be trapped in a narrow format.....It's lost me.

Best Regards,
    Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I echo Julian's thought. I'm not a cardmodel purist so I don't mind having other forums together, but for those who are, this new move could be kind of "davastating"... Although we still have our cardmodel homepage, we can see members of the other forums on the member list.

--And yes, I do prefer the horizontal layout, although this one is far more comon nowadays
  8. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I can totally understand the need for the move. One thought...

My first thing to do ALWAYS when visiting the old site was to check "new posts"... Now here, if I do that, I see something like 300+ posts (I don't have time to check that many, I used to only check aircraft, armor, and design stuff) and a good percentage of what I saw was non-cardmodel stuff that frankly I didn't have time to dig through.

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

D aaammmmnnnnn! Now I know how a junkie feels when he can not get a fix!sign1

Glad it's back............ Thanks Peter! And for the record............. no comments on the new site because I know it's still got a lot of tweaking to do............ I'm just darn glad it's back so we can use it!:thumb:

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Here is a link you can use for at least a partial address to your concern.
    Hobbies -

Hope that helps. Fozzy and others.... Sorry you are ready to jump ship and head out already. Its only been up a few hours and I am sure there is lots to work out. Things will look different but I think Peter will do his best to address everyones concerns.

I will jump in and help Peter out too if he feels the need for some additional help.
  11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I will add my voice of concern about having New Posts display all of the other new posts from other forums also. I too always checked New Posts when visiting the forum and it would be better if we could not have the posts from other forums show up.

Having said that, I would like to thank the appropriate folks for the hard work they put did in moving to a new site. :thumb:
  12. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I want to say well done for getting the site up and running so fast.

Now a couple of questions.
    1.Will there be a seperate section for card modeling? Not really bothered about Rails etc.
    2. I have 5meg broadband and the pages still take over 10 seconds to load, will they get faster.
    3.Where is the card model gallery? I only see trains.
    4.Will there still be a download area.

Card modeling has gone into orbit over the last year or so, not sure it will do the hobby any good mixing it with others.

Not sure if I like the new format (mixed), I joined because it was 'just' card models. I am not going to jump ship though, I will see how things go.

Good luck with the rebuild.
  13. Peter T Davis

Hi everyone. Yes, I understand some people might not like sharing the platform with other hobbyists, even though that means that I'll be able to offer far more to everyone. I can't possibly please everyone.

I have, though, anticipated the problem of the 'new posts' and built in something that will help everybody customize what they want to see in that screen. Go into the edit options screen, and down near the bottom you will see a section called Exclude Forums from "Get New Posts" It may take you a bit to get it setup how you like, but once you do you won't have to see posts from sections you don't want anymore.
  14. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Thank you for taking that into consideration, Peter! That fixed it for me. Now I just see card model posts when I click New Posts. I'm sure that will make a lot of people happy.

And thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for providing us with this wonderful forum and for getting it back online again so quickly! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Peter, sorry to ask questions.

My post count has jumped from approx 650 to over 1000.
  16. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I know the site has some teething problems, which is inevitable with such a large project, but I just want to thank you for all the work you've done. I hope that this effort will give you more time for fun stuff.

17. airbob

airbob Member

Still currently working on the old GPM version of the Hiryu....will need to build another hull since exploring the Kartonmodel forum had a much better system for finishing the full hull. This is my first try at a full hull in paper...can we add pictures?
  18. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

All I can say is "Yay!! We're back!!!"

A little learning and tweaking to do, but much better than the alternative
  19. Peter T Davis

Yes, adding pictures should work. We have had some significant glitches with attachments, which I'm slowly winning the war against. I also fully intend to import the gallery, but that will be next week at best.
  20. col

col Member

Im relatively new here,but i do miss the check new or your posts top right of the old forum,and it does seem slow to load,which tends to put me off visiting as often as i may,but that aside im very happy to see the forum up and running again,i must say it was a shock when i couldnt look in,but very well done to all those involved in the hard work put in:thumb: