Aircraft Model Contest!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Ron, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Ron

Ron Member

The Aircraft competition has been extended until December 19 to give everyone a chance to get their entries in. Good luck !

Hi all

Rob (JRTS) has kindly donated the funding and the idea to start up another competition! Thanks to Rob, we have 2 aircraft models to give away for the first installment of our competition and 2 more for the next. If all works well on this one, the same will be offered for different categories such as architecture, vehicles or whatever subject that draws sufficient interest.
    2 forums have been set up similar to the Digital Navy competition.
    The closing date for the first competition will be Dec.10 2004
    We need a judge! If you are in the position to pass judgement on us all, leave me a pm :)
    This forum is for your actual entries. Please be sure to include your name, the name of the subject, the publisher's name and a max of 3 pictures.
    All pictures should be within the same post.
    This is for sharing those winning techniques with the rest of us :)
    Feel free to keep an image journal to show us what you're up to!

Here are the prizes for the first Aircraft competition
    1st Prize - Modelik 14/03 Focke-Wulf Ta 154
    Runner Up - Modelik 13/04 Albatros D.V

Here are the prizes for the 2nd Competition
    1st Prize - Modelik 20/04 Ki-115 Tsurugi
    Runner Up - Modelik 16/04 Jak 23 Flora

Rob, Thank-you once again! This place wouldn't be what it is without you guys :)

2. Falcon

Falcon Member

are helicopter models ok to enter the competition?

Regards: Falcon
  3. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Falcon et al:

anything that flies, planes, helicopters, blimps, balloons.

hmmmm, what about the flying bird models HMMMMMMMMMMMM

4. Ron

Ron Member

Anything that is man made and flies is good for this one :)

5. tino

tino Member

The contest seems to be good and I am thinking in participate for two reasons:
    1st - For the prize...
    2nd - Because we almost only see ships in this forum (even I am thinking in making a ship, how about Akitsushima?).

Sorry the question can I enter with more than one model in the contest?
    10of December will be short time to enter in the two contests with the GPM He 111 but maybe I can make the Halinski Ki 43 instead... :wink:

How can I put 3 photos in one post? :roll:
  6. Ron

Ron Member

Hi Tino :)

There is just 1 aircraft contest for now. After December 10, we will start another. I'd really like to keep it to one entry to make it fair for everyone.
    When posting, you can add as many attachments as you like. Just make each picture an attachment . Remember, you can also use the preview button to see what you message looks like before posting.

All the best

7. mark_h

mark_h Member

i am going to make this contest :)

i will make or the avia free one thet pablish in this site or one of my IAF mag models

ther is some spaciol models thet we need to mak

wat i need to make to win the contest ?
  8. Ron

Ron Member

It doesn't matter what type of aircraft it is as long as it's a machine that flies.
    Even theoretical stuff would be cool like DaVinci's flying machine as long as it's a card model.

All the best!

9. mark_h

mark_h Member

machine that flies

wat u mean?
  10. Ron

Ron Member

An airplane of any kind is good as long as it's 1:48 or larger.
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Let's see;

ZMC-2 149.4 ft / 48 = 37.35 inches
    LZ-127 755 ft. / 48 = 188.75 inches

Ron, seems unfair to the LTA people...,

Brings up and interesting question though. Airships are by definition "ships". This means that they can actually be entered in the "ship" contest...,

Sturbing it Around, Gil
  12. Ron

Ron Member

OK Ok Gil....ya got me :)

What does everyone think of this? Should LTA's be included? If so, we need some minimum specs and I don't have a clue.

13. Texman

Texman Guest

See previous statement
    So, I would think the airship would qualify. But do they fly
    or float?

14. Gil

Gil Active Member

The answer is both. Water bourn ships share similar traits. What's more interesting is whether they can be entered in the "ship" contest. The rules do not stipulate what the ship floats on...,

Sturbin, Gil
  15. shrike

shrike Guest

If a submarine counts as a ship, then an airship should as well. We won't get into that nasty liquid/gas discussion.
    OTOH, in USN parlance at least, submarines are tradionally 'boats' no matter how big, and an airboat is something completely different.

Hmmmmmm Visions of Barsoom dance before my eyes.....
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Everyone understands that the contest is for airplanes (aeroplanes). No need to quibble over LTA as they are solidly in their own group.

Shrike, used to be "boats"..., the newest FBMs are officially called ships. The Fast Attacks are still "boats"..., I see you liked the "Chessman of Mars"..., brings up the idea of creating a Martian Floater model. In fact it's amazing Hollywood hasn't picked up on the series...., be really cool...,

Best regards, Gil
  17. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

If there's enough interest it might be a good idea to have a seperate contest for airships.

It's going to be pretty difficult as it is to judge similar entries for both the airplane and ship contests. Adding airships to either contest will make a difficult job even harder.

18. silverw

silverw Member

Ships should float on water
    Airplanes should be man made, and have wings that are used for lift, and fly in the air

I'm just going to drag out my Aero, rescale it to !:48, and use that :!:

Thanks Ron and Rob for the incentive to get back to it :twisted:

CRIPPEEZZZE....I can't even get my ship built!!! :shock:

19. DeWayne

DeWayne Member

Can I enter a balloon? Depending on circumstances it would fit into two catagories ;-) Float in the air and a bad landing would result in floating in water.

with tongue in cheek
  20. shrike

shrike Guest

My father-in-law who works in bremerton still refers to them all as 'boats'. Of course that may well be long habit.

Probably just as well that Hollywood hasn't picked upon them given the history of ruining good stories. We'd just end up with Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom as Carter, Tars Tars Binks and Jolene Blalock as Dejah Thoris. Of course given that all she'd have to do is wear bronze nipple armour, lay around waiting to be rescued and eventually lay an egg, it's probably within her acting ability. :twisted: