cardmodels in fiction

Discussion in 'Extended Mediums' started by lizzienewell, Sep 10, 2006.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've been working away on my science-fiction model,my reason for cardmodeling. I am quite pleased with this scene. The story is set on another planet that resembles Alaska or Norway. The Seaguard men had implants that they used as an interface with their WIG aircraft but they got an electronic virus and died. I had to build the craft out of paper to figure out how they work. Yes, I did build the models described in the scene along with the rubberband gun. You can see my warpwing skips(ekranoplans) in my other posts.

Peggy, the protagonist, has been leading her clan's seaguard in adapting to life without men with implants. Now don't make jokes about that. I get in plenty of innuendo on my own.

My thanks to this group for directing me to much of this information about ekranoplans. When I get this manuscript published you can proudly read about cardmodelers in the future.

She(Dark Lily Comryez) said, "I want to design skips like the Seaguard once had. They're sort of boats, sort of airplanes, and sort of robots."

I leaned against my pillow. "Nobody has implants anymore. Who would fly your skips?"

She said. "We could use skips without implants. Wouldn't you like to fly one?"

"Not really."

She peered over the edge(of the bunk) and her arm swung down to drop a sewing glove onto my bed. "We can use that to control remote robotics. So why couldn’t we use it on a skip?"

I picked up the glove to fit my hand inside, but it was too small. "It's unsafe to fly a skip without an implant. Manual controls aren't quick enough."
    Her feet swing down. "I'm going to design skips, and I’m going to fly them. I'll show you." Dark Lily dropped from the bunk and went to a closet. She rummaged and then turned with an armload of toys. They tumbled onto the quilt, not toys but lightweight models made of thin sheets of pressed fiber--maybe cellulose paper.

I picked up a model, a rectangle held into an airfoil but with no fuselage or cockpit.

"They fly." Holding a stick with an elastic loop, she scooped one up. "Let's go into the hallway."

In the corridor, Dark Lily drew back the elastic band and secured it to a clip on the stick. "Watch this." She set the stick on the floor and hooked the model onto the elastic loop. Bracing the stick with one foot, she touched the trigger with her toe, and the model shot along the corridor, skittering against the flooring. The model rotated to a stop. "Not very stable, that one." Dark Lily retrieved the model. "A skip should remain longitudinally stable. If this one hits a bump she'll go over."

I crossed my arms. "That's why we can’t use them. The pilot needs an implant to make the wing adjustments. Skips are inherently unstable."
    She tucked the stick under her arm and opened the door to our room. "If I build a stable design that needs minimal adjustment, it'll work with hand controls." From her desk, she took an open note volume. "See that's the first skip. It had fixed wings, no need for an implant."

Images of the craft were grainy, and in black-and-white. One of the pictures had the entire prow section opened with some sort of vehicle exiting her fuselage. This ancient and bizarre craft was nothing like our skips. I touched an image and it became a grainy video of a huge stubby-winged craft scudding over the sea, waves slapping the wings, water splashing wing flaps and hull. I touched another image of a monster skip, this one mounted with missile launchers. Fire burst from the muzzles of the guns.

Dark Lily said, "The Orlyonok--means Eaglet--designed on Earth for troop transport on an inland sea called the Caspian. Her stability is in her size. She's not really a skip but an ekranoplan. See, fixed wings."

"Too big for patrol work."

She ignored my objection. "We can reprogram our skips' processors to fly with fixed wings, or with mostly fixed wings. The onboard computer can make the adjustments."

I tossed my head and forced myself not to look at her oddly familiar mannerisms. "It's not worth it."

She said, "But it's possible to fly a skip without an implant. People used to do it. The Russians were the first to build them and the first to conceive of using skips for sea rescue."

The Russians must have been as daft as the Comryez. For Danna's sake, the Comryez totem was the horned puffin. The silly little bird could scarcely fly, especially after overeating. The Comryez had nice smiles, but they didn’t have much else going for them. Without commercial fisheries, arable land, or timber, they subsisted on charging travelers. Their sole resource was their treacherous pass-- navigable only at high tide, and I controlled one end of it. "With fixed wings, it's an airplane."

"Any craft that operates mostly within the surface effect is a skip, a ground-effect-aircraft. It doesn’t matter if the wings are fixed or retractable. Airplanes can have warpwings and ekranoplans can have fixed wings."

I sat on my bed and spread out the models, each one slightly different. A turquoise blue model had three tails. An orange one had a wide tail stabilizer.
    With skips, my patrols could move faster, covering more territory. I could go home to see Sable quickly and more frequently. These models opened possibilities. Even if her plans were frivolous, friendship with Dark Lily was to my advantage. Comryez lived by their wits, intelligence, and creativity--thriving where others failed. I complimented her work. "Well woven. I'd like to know more about your plans."

2. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

How fary away are you from publishing? I like the concept. A world without men? Just read in the paper of a movie about to come out where men will be the childbearers. According tot he paper the movie takes place in 2027 and no woman has borne a child in 18 years.

The thing I love about science fiction is that you can explore a wide variety of themes from different points of view.

Is writing your "day job" or is this something you do as a hobby?

Either way, keep at it and when you do publish let the forum know when and where the book can be purchased. I always like good science fiction and look forward to reading yours.

3. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

I look foward to seeing you listed on Amazon. SciFi has always been a weakness of mine.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Clark - the first bit may answer an earlier question for you and Lizzie will chuck the rest if she has any sense. :grin:

The monsters of the Caspian were a doomed breed, it is a relatively small and calm sea.
    They couldn't get up out of the way of unexpected big things like rogue Atllantic waves quick enough. Or for that matter ordinary Atlantic waves
    They couldn't change direction in less than a week.
    Lots of power was needed to get unstuck but relatively little was needed for cruise, so heavy footing the gas at the wrong moment pitched them up and flipped them on their back.
    Elsewise they were great - mostly.

Now the skips were different and Dark Lily was right they could be flown without anything as complex as an implant, sad that it had not been realised sooner.

The skips of course had always used advanced near-organic engineering that enabled them to ingeniously overcome the serious limitations that had been encountered with Earthly wigs and it turned out that only a little adaptation was needed to adjust that engineering and the programing of the onboard computer for control through the sewing glove.
    With the skips the gull wing that serves birds so well in flight at height became the inverted gull wing to facilitate interaction with the surface. In straight flight in ground effect the reverse delta shaped centre section was the primary source of lift. The outer panels adopted an angle of attack to the airflow that generated litlle lift and very little drag but by significantly increasing aspect ratio greatly reduced induced drag. In particular the ability of the outer panels to near instantly vary their camber and section also gave outstanding control in pitch.

The true beauty of the engineering displayed itself when it came to changes in the direction of flight, a task the Earthly wigs had never been able to undertake satisfactorily.
    Bird like the wings would flex subtly along their entire length, the outer panels increasing their angle of attack, greatly increasing their contribution to the total lift needed, and enabling the craft to bank into an attitude with much of the wing clear of ground ground effect.
    The resulting turn appeared to balance on a horizontal outer panel. A graceful pirouette, and one that could be swift.
    Similarly the flexibility of the outer panels enabled kinetic energy to be rapidly converted to potential energy trading speed for height to overcome sudden variations in the surface below, the other problem that had been such a shortcoming of Earthly wigs.

Attached Files:

5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I've gotten two rejections for my first manuscript from editors/publishers and have a synopsis of my second manuscript in with an agent. Getting published takes time. Once an editor is interested it will probably take two years to get the manuscript published. I don't expect to see my work published for about six more years.
    Clark and Rick, you will have to be very patient to see my novels on Amazon.
    I've been writing for six years as my unpaid occupation. For some of that time it's been a full time occupation. Right now, I have an additional job to bring in money.

My fictional world still has men, about one man for three women. The virus killed off only about ten percent of the men, but before that the men were dying faster than the women in boating accidents anyway. I like keeping men acting like men and women acting like women as I play around with this. If men gave birth to children then they would be women, and the story would just have the labels swapped. I have the women giving birth and caring for children, as they usually do, while the men take the dangerous jobs, as they usually do.

6. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

You've got it exactly. Have you been checking up on all my posts?:) I know you have been sneaking a peek at my notes. ;-)

I figure the skin of the craft is made of a fiber that contracts in response to electricity which allows the entire surface of the craft to adapt to the wind the way that the shape of a dolphin's skin adapts the water. Some sort of silicon polymer would work. The implant in the pilot's brain is wireless and sends and receives data to the central processing unit of the craft. This speeds the reaction time of the pilot since radio waves are faster than neuro impulses and the pilot doesn't have to coordinate hand movement to operate levers or buttons. Just think, the pilot might be able to move the wing faster than he can move his hand.
    Dark Lily thinks thecomputer could handle more of the reflexes and manuverability could be traded off for more stability then the slower reaction time of the pilot would work fine.

7. clarklfarris

clarklfarris Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that these machines were that unstable. I should have realized however they would need a relatively calm surface to function properly. Still, very impressive concept.

I am glad to see you are sticking with it. Every author that I ever read about or heard of faced numerous rejections. You will perservere.

Regarding matriarchal (sp?) and I am assuming that your fictional society is one, there are many historical examples of such. Again, whether it is 2 months or 2 years let us know when we can buy a copy.

Good luck,
  8. Maurice

Maurice Member

What me ... sneak a peek ... I wouldn't be so bold ... :)
    Yes I have been keenly following your design and construction of these delightful little critters.
    Did most of the above with the intention to browbeat you into using the inverted gull wing but yourself and your Consultative Committee got there without.
    I'm not surprised the menfolk have been dying off if you've been sticking their cellphones in their brains, sort of Bluetooth's revenge.
    I take it the contracts you were offering to males to join up are short term and expire on death in a fishing accident. :grin:
    I sincerely wish you perseverance and success with publication.

9. dinsour

dinsour Member

Don't let a few rejecttions bother you. Heck I got a box full of them and I used to let it bother me. Until I got one that was not a form letter.
    The guy wrote that he liked the story very much but they didn't think it was suited to their target audiance.
    If the men in your story were dying from a computer viruse, they must not had their shots of Nortains Anti viruse .:grin:
    Keep plugging away, you'll get there when the time is right.

------------73 Ron