Cardmodeling under Linux

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Ron, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi guys

I find myself being drawn closer and closer to Linux and further away
    from Microsoft these days. I can't really explain why other than almost everything I've tried under Linux just works and works quickly. I guess the fact that the OS and 99% of the software is open source and free has quite a lot to do with my obsession :) Do any of you guys do any of your day to day image manipulation, design or anything else under linux? I'd really be curious to hear what you use and your results.

All the best :)

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Ron,

Do you know what I want? I want a PC that doesn't have ANY operating System. When I want to use Coreldraw, or Rhino, or whatever, THAT is what I want to do, not faf about with some d****d OS. OS's should be as near invisible as possible. I don't have to worry about how long the ink tube in my ball-point pen is when I write on paper! I don't care what material my table is made from! Does the light that comes out of my light bulbs change if it is made from a coal fired power station, or a nuclear one? No. And that is how OS's ought to be. Taken ABSOLUTELY for granted. And invisible.

But they aren't, are they? That is why they hack us off so much. They get in the way. They stop you doing what you want to do. The make you feel like you are trying to type while wearing boxing gloves. Like trying to run in treacle.

When there is a Windows Zero, or a Mac Zip, or a Unix Nix, I might get excited about OS's. Until then, I think they are all a pain in the butt.

Tim P

PS Guess who has just had to rebuild his HD........ Thank goodness for back-up software!
  3. Ron

Ron Member

I have to agree with you 100%! The only differences in code should be to accomodate the machine's architecture and never mind the OS. I guess we're
    stuck with em though as these individual apps would be huge if they had to contain all of the mundane stuff the os takes care of. I'm just going on about linux as one can use as much or as little as one wants and you're not forced to use explorer, IE and the rest of the crud that permeates the MS environment. Hope your HD re-build went ok :)
    How are the studies going?

All my best
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

I am sorely tempted. I think that it would be interesting find out how many apps can be ported to Linux. That's the only tether to uSoft that I have.

5. barry

barry Active Member

I lost the plot when writing in machine code went out of fashion, at least in those days you knew what the computer was going to do. Now who has any idea what the damn thing is doing, runs slower as well.

barry (card carrying luddite)
  6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Yes....makes one wonder what Amiga might be now if the Commodore had tried competing with Apple instead of Nintendo. Me loves me Miggie, yes me does
  7. charliec

charliec Active Member

A lot of Windows applications can run on Linux using Wine (Windows emulator). I haven't used Wine in years but I believe the newer versions are
    very competent so most Windows applications will run o.k.

8. Gil

Gil Active Member

OK Ron, time for you to port and report!

9. Atomsk

Atomsk Member

Come over to the dark side. Come over to embedded. Fondling the hardware is alive and well, at

Is there a decent vector drawing package available for Linux?
  10. Ron

Ron Member

Ok guys,

Here's Adobe Photoshop 7 running under Xandros Linux 3.0 and Codeweaver's Crossover office. It's a wee bit slower with my current setup tha Windows but still useable without any failures. I need to check into a few un-needed services running and it should be snappy as heck. The only problem seen so far is that when optimizing images for web use, Imageready had to be opened separately. Pretty good considering it was never designed to be used outside of a MS environment.

The next image is The Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) running natively within Linux. ( yes :) it's free) It needs a bit of getting used to but to be fair, I need to spend some time with it. So far, image resizing is precise and colour depth adjustment is simple within the same window.
    The help files are extensive so I get lots to read! The screenshots were taken with a free app included with the OS

I have one problem with linux up to this point. My printer (Canon i850) isn't directly supported. Canon Japan has drivers but I need to sort it out.
    I know that 90% of the major manufacturers are supported so don't let this deter you. There is a solution for this and that is to buy the drivers. These are highend drivers and probably worth paying the 30 bucks for. I'll let you know about the japanese canon drivers.

Talk soon :)
  11. Kugelfang

Kugelfang Member

I've been running Suse Linux for a number of years now. Wine always seems to be on the verge of handling the applications I want, but not quite. Now, it's pretty decent with 'office' type applications but don't put too many eggs in that basket. By the way, I've not found that CrossOver Office offers any more capability than Wine (on which it's based), except maybe ease of installation. Printers have been an issue for me. Frankly, I want to replace my old HP820Cse but finding one that meets both print quality and linux compatibility has been a challange.

I would second The Gimp. Powerful... but it can be confusing. One thing I am excited about is SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics). I've found Sketsa (Java based--so it's cross platform) to be a pretty decent vector drawing program and am looking forward to making model designs in it. I'm slowly writing a program in Ruby (also cross platform) for unfolding 3d models and saving them as SVG since that Japanese unfolder--darn can't think of the name of it!--simply will not work under Wine.

On the other hand, it's really nice to be able to convert just about any document to *.pdf format. I've never had any operating system problems with Linux. Rarely have I ever had an applcation lock up. And even then it's simply a matter of logging off and logging back on to take control. Very please with KDE, too. In fact, when I do work on Windows machines now I feel very constrained by it. And being free from virus fears is downright liberating! Even if you're running Windows I don't know why you wouldn't be using Firefox as a browser and Thunderbird for email.

12. Ron

Ron Member

More from the Linux front...

In the past couple of years, Linux has made extraordinary strides in detecting hardware and peripherals. I plugged in my scanner after a few months of non use, turned on the pc and Linux picked it right up. This is a Agfa Snapscan 1212U USB scanner. The app that came pre packaged with the original install is called Kooka. It's fast, simple and the results are great. It's funny really...
    When running windows, a trip to and a 12 meg download are in order to get my scanner to work. With this os, it just worked.

Here's a couple more shots of whats going on.
    Next...lets see what we can do with a few more Windows apps under
    Crossover Office and sniff around for some more native replacements

talk soon :)

13. cieciwa

cieciwa New Member

Inkscape ?
    or Sodipodi
  14. Ron

Ron Member

Vector graphics are a reality under Linux. I'm sure the programs
    aren't nearly as polished as their windows counterparts but they are very useable. I thought I'd give Inkscape a shot Inkscape does not directly import .cdr files but it does import .svg. After installing the Corel 11 service pack, svg export actually worked and Inkscape opened up the file as it should. I'm not versed with vector packages but the basics I do know, were easy to accomplish such as change the fill, stroke etc. We need a vector pro to give us a proper review. There is an up to date Windows version as well for anyone that wants to play. Here's a shot once again.

More to come
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ron, D/led it just now, will have a closer look tonight. Nice clean workspace, I have to say!

Tim P
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Ron, I tried out inkscape tonight, but couldn't get it to run for more than a few minutes without it keeling over, usually taking the rest of my PC with it. I am running it under windows 98 se. Any suggestions? When it is working, it looks neat, although the screen refresh is slow sometimes. Coreldraw 11 is fine in comparison, even on this old pc and system.

Tim P
  17. Ron

Ron Member

Hiya Tim

I ran the official release and a daily build under Windows XP with sp2. To try it out, I exported Marek's latest 1:50 Sopwith Snipe (sweet kit btw :)) to .svg within Corel 11. Inkscape actually loaded the file in about 6-7 seconds whereas Corel took about 30 to load the same svg. Once loaded, Corel was fast to refresh the screen on zoom and simple operations
    went quickly. Inkscape had troubles when zooming in and you could watch the screen refresh piece by piece as it rendered. Another problem was when I dragged the window over to the side of my screen (almost 1/2 off) a console opened up full of error mesages. I closed the console and the program shut down too :( Screen refresh was just as bad under Linux.
    Maybe it's just time to go back to looking for something else

On 2nd thought, maybe it's time to give up this rebellious attitude and cave in to what I'm used to and what works. I like your idea of a completely transparent OS. Maybe a way to strip the garbage out of Windows is available :)

All the best :)
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

19. Ron

Ron Member

I've played around with the trial version already and I think it will be a good thing. One would think MS would give a person all of those options right off the bat but noooooooooo. Imagine, Windows without messenger, IE, OE :)
    ahhhhh to dream :) Get this though....disk defragmenter under XP 'requires'
    IE 5.0 or greater. Go figure

20. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I have been running XPlite on my system since I upgraded to XP a couple of years ago. Its a great program which makes windows run even least in my case.

The program, which was given to me by my brother in law who used it with 98SE and Win2k wouldn't install Windows without it.

Though my word mean nothing in the computer world, I highly recommend it. 8v)