cardboard sources

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Ron, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron

Ron Member

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good online source for former material? Many of the models I have sitting here are calling for .8 - 1mm
    material. The stuff I have been using has been the artist's mounting board but sits at just over 1mm thick. Piotr of Kartonworks was mentioning to me that Halinski sold the stuff but I was hoping for a N.American source

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

DUH :p

got any big desk calenders in your shop?
    rip the back off.

or try gift boxes, those should work

3. charliec

charliec Active Member

Not my idea but....

Over at Jim Nunn has been documenting his latest build -
    an armoured car. He makes the comment (Feb 2004 ezine) in his write up that the easiest way to get exactly the thickness you want is to laminate sheets of 80 gsm paper (he refers to it 65 lb paper) with 3M spray adhesive.

I haven't tried this myself but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work.

4. If there is a print shop in your area see if they will sell you a quantity of chip board. Any shop that does stuff that comes like packages of writing paper should have piles of the stuff. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  5. Ron

Ron Member

Mark, Thanks! Thats the word I was looking for. I spent hours looking at mounting board, illustration board etc and saw chipboard listed all over but said...nah...

Chipboard in northern Ontario is the roughest grade crap to come out of
    a wood mill. Quite literally it's made from chips of wood, glued and pressed into 1/2 or 3/4 inch 4x8 sheets.

Thanks again!

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Chip board. Chipboard. Two different things? Over here in Blighty chipboard is the flooring stuff in 4x8 sheets. And it is not only full of wood chips, but it usually has bent nails, gravel, cement and other rubbish too. Ugh.

Hmmm. Chips are Fries. Crisps are chips. Trunk is a boot, hood is a bonnet. Pavement is a sidewalk. Faucet is a tap, lift is an elevator, Aluminium is alooominum, and a Lieutenant with an F is a Lieutenant with a OOOO. A Mall is a Mawl, a decal is a transfer, and a tomato is a tomato.

Would a rose by any other name, smell as sweet?

Shakespeare came from Stratford upon Avon. If we'd have heard him speak, he'd have sounded just like (loike) Jasper Carrott.....

I'm rambling, aren't I......

7. No, a mall is a maul AKA hammer, it's aluuuninium, a tap is someting you use to put threads in a drilled hole, lifts go in your shoes, pavement is where the rubber meets the road and a side walk is what I've been shoveling this white stuff off of. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Ha! .. and let me guess, we BOTH drive on the wrong side!!

So if I walk on the pavement, I'm either safe, or dead. Maybe I get a citation; is that good, or bad? I know, I'll ask a solicitor. Lawyer, that is.

I just love the English language! You can play with it for hours on end! Flammable. Imflammable. Inflammable. Non-flammable. Hmmm. Might be important one day.....

9. If an asteriod strikes the Earth can it be said to have been on a collision course or a collusion course as both objects will meet/meat at the same point for the same purpose, or is it porpoise :roll: :roll: I really feel sorry for some one coming from a logically structured language trying to learn much less commumicate in English/American, God forbid Aussie :wink: .

I mean, lets see

I say we blame the French and the Germanic word introductions to the language
  10. cardfan

cardfan Member

Let us not forget

bury, berry
    minute and minute

I had to add that very small part...

11. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

My paper modelling uses stuff just around the house. look at the cardboard from cerial boxes, baking soda, kitty litter containers. if its too
    thin, double it up. The cardboard from VHS tapes is real nice. For making non-glued pressure fittings (like in rocket stages) I like the covers of magazines, with the waxy surface, they slide nice. Don't be in such a hurry to spend your money.

12. 57townsman

57townsman Member

I say we all just learn Polish and be done with it :wink:
  13. I would, but my key board doesn't have enough consanants (hey I'm part Polska by the way)
  14. Ron

Ron Member

I think I have a touch of OCD :) Getting the perfect material for work or play always makes me feel a bit better. I went around asking for chip board or 'chipboard' for you Tim or here's a new one, 'millboard' and got what the doctor ordered. The kind lady at the framing gallery ordered me in some .45pt stuff which roughly translates into 1mm. A 48 x 48 inch sheet was 3.00 canuck funny money so it should keep me in formers for a long time :) 5 sheets of it should be in tomorrow

Thanks for all the help guys :)

15. neoneanderthal

neoneanderthal New Member

wot ... not no one not never heard of the term ... strawboard
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

17. Ron, Dick Blick has binding board in three differnt thicknesses. Pricely though :shock: :shock:
  18. Ron

Ron Member

Found some!!

The stuff from the lady at the framing place hasn't arrived yet but I did find it today. I went for a trip to the local comic book collector's store and found perfect 1mm board. It's used as backing when storing comics. 250 sheets of magazine sized board for 7.95 Canadian. It's strange how things are right under our noses for the longest time before we find them

Thanks for all the replies guys :) Tim, how did your order turn out?

19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I was out when the Postman visited, so I have to collect the parcel from the sorting office, Monday probably. I'll keep you posted.
  20. trying an experiment today. use spray adhesive on multple sheets of card to build up the thickness I want
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.