cardboard source

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Getter1, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good source of 0.3mm, 0.5mm, ect, cardboard for former material. I can only seem to find 65lbs. and 110lbs. cardstock but cannot find a source of anything esle.

Thanks for any help,
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

John, and others, one of the best sources for great cardboard is your local hospital or clinic that does xrays. The undeveloped film comes wrapped in 2 sheets of the sweetest stuff ever. It measures 1mm thick is uniform and makes great laminating material. Just ask for the radiology department, and ask them about it. They usually just throw the stuff out and you may have a lifetime supply just for the asking. Alot of the outpatient clinics/urgent care centres have tons of the stuff, alas some of the bigger hospitals are going digital so hurry on down and check it out. For thinner carboard stock, shirt boxes gift boxes at your local dept. stores are a great source, be around a family member on a holiday and you can make out like a bandit. This is also a great time to get odd shaped plastic blisters, bubbles etc for canopies, astrodomes etc. If all else fails Kelloggs and General Mills cereal boxes are perennial favourites. Good luck, T

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy John,

Ok, now as for mm's, I am just an old country boy from arkansas, we use technical measurements like "a smidgeon bigger than" or "bout two hairs thicker than" when we talk about thickness. But, For thin fomer material, try manila folders, for thicker, try the green desk file folders for yet thicker, my favorite place of all is my local picture frame shop. They throw away in a day, more "matting material" than you will use in several months. It comes in several thicknesses and if you will just ask to speak with the owner, explain what you want it for, they will probably do like the people who own the local shop here and they will give you all the scraps you can handle. Not only do I get scraps, but some larger pieces suitible for diaromas.
    And like I said, they work in all thicknesses, so you are sure to get some scraps the thickness you want.
    Now when I say scraps, I dont mean "trimmings" like we have when we build a model, I mean pieces generally 1" to 2" wide at the minimum, and somtimes as big as 12" x 18 depending on what they have framed.
    For parchments and other "papers" they use a thinner matting material.
    So, I hope this helps give ya some ideas. You dont have to go out and spend alot of money for former material, heck, I have used the card that internet provider disks like aol and ppl pc come on in the mail before. Just look around, its all around you.

Have a good day,

4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Perhaps this isn't exactly what this thread was intended for but since it's in the same vein I'll go ahead and ask my question.

Exactly what does the number of pounds mean ie 110 lb cardstock?
  5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check some of those sources out.

I didn't know if there was a commercialy avaliable pack of the specified thicknesses or not. Well I have a TON of plastic model kits around and perhaps some of the boxes can be of use too.

Thanks agian,
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Do a google search for a more acurate and longer answer..........but basically the pound rating on paper deals with how much 500 sheets of the large sheets( I don't remember the actual size...17 x 34??) that are used by print shops. These are cut down into what were normally use in the 8.5 x 11 size range.

So if 500 of these sheets weight 110# that's where the number comes from.......same for 24# and 20#.
    There are other factors like bond and stuff but basically that's what it means.
    70# bond is 110# card stock.......
    24# bond is 65# card stock........

I hope I'm correct in this if not I'm sure someone will set me straight.

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

8. 46rob

46rob Member

My favorite source for cardboard for formers, etc is old cereal boxes and the sheets that shirts and stuff come packaged with to keep them rigid. I just laminate the patterns printed on regular printer paper to it and it works just fine. Cheap, too, and it's right there in the kitchen traveling around to find the stuff. For a bit heavier--I keep the cardboard backings from pads of paper.
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

for those in the office environment

Deskpad Calendar, the backs of them, and each year new ones are replaced

Also check your local autoparts store, or tool rental place, they some times have promotional calendars(first hand knowledge, brother works for United Rental)

10. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I would suggest that you consider making you own backing card stock. After trying several different types and sources for card stock I came to the conclusion that what I needed was a consistent thickness and a consistent density. On a large model any inconsistency in thickness will cause fit problems. What I have been doing is laminating 67 lb and 110 lb card stock to build up .5 and 1 mm stock. The best glue to use is 3M 77 spray contact cement you can purchase the glue at Home Depot and most craft stores. The glue is solvent based and with a little care the finished product is not warped. 4 layers of 64/67 lb paper will give you 1 mm stock and 2 layers will give you .5 mm stock. For .3 mm plan old 110lb stock will do. Some of the newer models have been requiring .9 mm for this I use 2 layers of 110 lb stock and one layer of 64/67 lb paper. While the glue is setting up I place the laminated card stock between two sheets of glass this gives me a very consistent thickness. I also recommend that you rotate each layer of the card stock 180 degrees.

Now the question is, is all this work worth it. I have a Halinski Tiger that I built about 5 years ago this was made with cereal boxes, shirt formers and such. Some of the card stock I used has de-laminated and the model is not in very good condition. You will find that the made up card stock is quite dense and has a very consistent texture and is a pleasure to work with.

Jim Nunn

For reference 64/67 lb card stock is .008/.009 inch (.2mm)
    Greg that’s about 2 RCH’s ;^))
    110 lb card stock is .010 inch (.25 mm)
    And 24 lb paper is about .0045 inch (.11 mm)
    Each layer of glue is .0015 to .0025 inches
  11. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Jim Nunn, Thanks for the info. I read somewhere about layering cardstock, but the atricle gave no information about the thicknesses of each type.

Thanks to all for your advice.