Card Models with wires?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Derrick256, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Derrick256

Derrick256 New Member

I am working on building a model and this model im making has wires, how would anyone go around doing that, making it from paper would be too small, would anyone go for real wire?

Any sugjestions?
  2. rman

rman New Member

You could use wire painted the color you need or cover the wire with thin paper printed with the color.
  3. bclemens

bclemens Member

Hi, Derrick256,
    I use scrap copper electrical wire- I straighten it by rolling it on a hard surface under a metal file.

Sometimes I then sandwich it between two sheets of paper and cut it out for color- sometimes I use CA and glue the wire to the edge of thin paper and roll it depends on the situation. Or you can use paint or markers and simply color the wire.
  4. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Another trick for straightening wire is to grab both ends of a piece with pliers and pull. A set of hobby pliers is desirable for cutting, forming and trimming the pieces. A set usually includes short-nose, flat-jaw, side cutter, and end nipper pliers. A pair of round-nose pliers is also very handy for forming tiny loops.

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I use wire whereever a plan calls for it. I personally use flower wire from craft stores - wide variety of gauges that bends fairly easily. I typically color it with a sharpie - paint if I cant get the right color from that. I find gluing the darn stuff to me model the hardest part :)
  6. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Hi, Chris! That's why I made this handy applicator. It's just a sewing needle with the end of the eye cut off with a Dremel cutting disc; the pointy end is glued into the end of a bamboo skewer. I pour a small amount of thin CA glue into a small container, such as a plastic bottle cap, then dip in the applicator, which picks up a small amount of glue. I then wick the CA onto the wire/paper joint. I don't have a soldering setup, so I also use this technique for making wire/wire joints (not the strongest joint, but works for me). When the applicator clogs up, I burn out the residue with a match.

7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

What's the application

The type of wire you use depends on the application.

1. If you are building WWI aircraft and trying to simulate flying wires or control cables, there is nothing better than stainless steel wire for paper models. It can be ordered, quite inexpensively I might add, in a huge range of diameters starting from .001" all the way up.

For WWI aircraft 1/72 to 1/33, anywhere from .002"-.004" will do just fine. Order it from Small Parts Inc. They are on the web. Look for wire, stainless steel.

To attach it, to a paper model is even easier. Since it is so small and strong, you can use it to "drill" a tiny entry hole and slip it in place.

2. Antenna wire is a different story. Use the lowest test weight you can. Color it on one side with a black permanent marker. Drill the locating holes and fix it in place with CA. Allow it to have a minuscule sag as antennae wires often do. I would not recommend tightening the monofilament because the resulting tension will easily warp the paper.
  8. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

Further to what CT said, a spool will probably outlast you and can be willed to your inheritors. ;-) I've had a couple of spools for about seven years and have used probably less than half of each.

I might also add that steel rod is appropriate for some construction tasks. It is hardened and therefore more difficult to cut and bend, but it is also sturdier than annealed wire and is therefore better for making parts like masts and spars that might be under a lot of tension from rigging lines.

9. Derrick256

Derrick256 New Member

Cool thanks guys I was thinking the wire woud pull the papder and rip it off or bog it down since the wire needs to be thick but thickening it with paper might do the trick.
  10. Boris

Boris Member

Hi All

I read about an additional idea: it is possible to create wires off thin fishing line or a nylon wire. It can be glued with a slack, and then by aplying closed source of heat the line becomes shorter and tighter. The source of heat can be a cigarette (if you smoke) or a soldring iron without touching the line itself.
    The fishing line can be glued with superglue easily.

I didn't try this, I only saw this idea at Vyacheslav Sokolets' site ( Paper wings).
    Also it is possible to color the fishing line so that it will look as a real antennae and such.