Card Models WIKI

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Jun 23, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I am going to start working on the WIKI! I am going to begin by bringing in the structure from Steve Brown's old CardFaq. However I wont actually do it until I get some kind of permission from him. A while ago I tried to get a hold of him to no avail. If anyone knows him or of a way to get in touch with him please do try and get permission for me.
    Thanks all!
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Hey all, I need some help..... I converted steves cardfaq into a wiki page with links waiting to be filled. However no matter what I do I cant get the lines to break. They keep on the same line and wrapping around and around to the next line without inserting the darn breaks. I cant figure out what I am doing wrong.....

Also I am going with making it look like the old cardfaq because thats what lots of people were used to and it seems to be a good format. If anyone has other ideas, now it the time to bring them up. Nothing is set in stone at this point but once we start movng on the project I dont want to have to start over :)

Also I know I have asked before but I am going to ask again ;) who would like to be involved with the WIKI design project? Of course anyone can contribute but I am looking for a few people I can count on to help get things rolling well.

Possible jobs (but not limited too)
    - Helps define structure of site
    - Ensures new pages are kept to accepted guidelines
    - writing new original content
    - copying info from the old cardfaq to the wiki, this includes reformatting as needed
    - finding other old archives that could have info brought to the wiki
    - searching for links to currently active sites/information that would be good to have in the wiki
    - Proof reads pages new and old to ensure spelling, grammar, links etc etc etc are as they should be

3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

My time is limited but I could help some.

4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks Bob! What kind of a position(s) might you be interested in? Trying to figure where peoples interests lie :)
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I could probably offer up some time to proofing and searching. I'm not a designer, definitely not the best builder, but I can nit-pick with the best of 'em.... ;)
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks John! I imagine everyones time will be limited - its a hobby after all (at least for most of us) Thats why I am hoping to get volunteers focused on particular jobs

What do you guys think of keeping the cardfaq look?

7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have posted teh opening page to our WIKI (just an idea for now) This is only the structure with no content. I dont want any content until we can get an ok from steve. If its all original then fine ;)

Please take a look and tell me why i lose all my line breaks :(

I am a WIKI noob
  8. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I can be a mover, searcher, or proof-read. I could eventially help with designing.
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks bud!
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

Count me in for proofing, editing and mayhap some content later when we establish what we need/want et c.
  11. GyverX

GyverX Member

I looked at the page and Holy cow!!!!

I'll edit it and see if I cant get the breaks to go where they should

I didnt find the problem but I found the solution. Right now its in preview mode but I will fix up the formating

Edit: ok, See if that helps.
  12. DrBill

DrBill Member

Chris: Glad you got the wiki started. It's a fantastic medium for information, how-tos, and all that other encyclopedia-type stuff. I'd be happy to contribute as proofer, editor, or contributor. One suggestion: remove the topic numbering so that new topics can be inserted where appropriate without forcing all following sections to be renumbered. There are lots of potential topics to be added that don't fit neatly into one of Steve's original categories (e.g., cardstock choices, vacuforming, etc.).
  13. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

One of the best things about Wiki's is that everyone and anyone can contribute.
    Anyone can edit or add information in any category or create another chapter category, subject, page, etc..
    Just jump right in!
    In time I'm sure this Wiki will be one of our greatest achievements and it is wonderful to be starting it from the ground up!
    I think this is one of the most exciting parts about this new forum and will be a boon not only to newbies but experienced modelers as well!

14. Frank Kelle

Frank Kelle Member

I may be stupid, perhaps blind: but where can I find the wiki? :confused: Perhaps it is interesting for you, if an non-english-speaking person is able to deal with it or where problems occure.
  15. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I'm gonna make you feel better, and let you know I just found it myself....

It's the button at the top right of each page. Hidden in plain sight, I guess....
  16. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I'll offer to help 'if needed', maybe be a 'Contributer' or 'proofer'.

What spare time I have is/was spent on the new/old sites. So maybe a couple of hours a night and more at weekends, just let me know.
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thanks paul! Thats more time than I will typically be able to spend :)

To all - please do feel free to modify as you like! Its in development right now. Please only make minor changes to the main page. Create a new page if you plan on a major change so we can all compare. :)

I was going to ask for translators too so that would be awesome if we get some foreign language speakers involved!
  18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That could be part of the Wiki right there.
    A section on languages and translations for common cardmodel terminology.

19. Frank Kelle

Frank Kelle Member

Thanks John, I am afraid I am getting older... or just operatingblindy wall1.
    I had thought, I would be a seperate thread here...
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Gonna take some getting used to here but it will be all right :)