Card models do well at an IPMS contest....

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by dhanners, Sep 24, 2006.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Although I don't think the club officers are not yet ready to change the "P" in IPMS to "Paper," I entered some card models in the local chapter's annual contest, "Nordic-Con" yesterday, and I'm happy to report they did quite well.

There was no dedicated "Space/Sci Fi" category, so my stuff wound up in a new "Miscellaneous" category. A modified Space Craft International kit I built of the Galileo probe won Gold, another modified SCI kit, of Voyager, won Silver, and my modified Classic Paper Space Models Proton 8K82K/11S86 won Bronze.

In addition, the Galileo won a special award, "Most Creative Subject," among the 236 entries in the contest.

So, my fellow cardmodelers, enter your local IPMS contests....
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Nice haul,

Great showing, and Congratulations.

Think you could post a picture of the models and medals?

3. Congratulations, dhanners! And I fully echo your advice to fellow paper modelers to enter local IPMS contests -- because for the first time in IPMS/USA history, the 2007 National Convention in Anaheim, California will have an OFFICIAL PAPER MODEL CATEGORY! Hooray!

I was going to make the official announcement later today after getting some clarifications from the committee head, but you can take a look at the new website at:

More details will be posted soon.

Take a good look at "Category X" at :

There will also be a "Best Paper Model" award and other paper models can be displayed out of competition in Category IX.

See you there!
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Wonderful news! You must have been proud to win Gold for your models!!! Cardmodels are PURE GOLD to me. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Also wonderful news that cardmodels (thousand years older than plastic) are finally becoming globally recognized as worthy.(We have known this all along!).
  5. dhanners

dhanners Member

Perhaps I can get some photos posted later tonight.

Thanks for the kind words, too. And that's great news about the Nats. We're finally making some headway....

One thing that struck me yesterday was that there was a grand total of one entry in the "Junior" category, and at the price of some of today's models, I can see why. Granted, kids today have a lot of things competing for their time, and modeling is a hobby where you actually have to think, but even beginner kits seem like they cost a lot.

From a price standpoint, the three models I placed with cost about $20, and that was just for the Galileo and the Voyager. The Proton was free, as was everything else I entered. They were things I downloaded from the Internet, printed out and built. Kids looking for something inexpensive to do should check out card modeling.

One of the guys who had stuff in the "Miscellaneous" category had a resin studio scale Alien Attacker from "Independence Day" and a big resin Rebel Blockade Runner from "Star Wars." He did a fine job on both, but conservatively speaking, that's $700 worth of models right there. After getting my stuff for free (or getting a great bargain, like SCI's kits are) that just seems pricey to me.

One of the things I do when I enter card models in an IPMS contest is I attach a couple of parts sheets to the entry form that accompanies the model, so people can see what the unbuilt parts look like. A lot of those folks know what an unbuilt plastic kit looks like, but don't realize the kind of stuff we're doing.
  6. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Plastic or Paper?

Congrats, dhanners,

Last year, I was displaying my card models at a local IPMS event in Stockholm, Sweden. A lot of modelers were very interested and many of them wanted links to the web to try it out.
    There were also some very fine entries (large ships) in the competition - at first, I thought they were plastic models. You had to get very close to see that they were made out of paper.

Modelers in Sweden are a conservative bunch but I think they are discovering this medium, too.

You did the right thing - good on you, mate!
    Bengt :grin:
  7. dhanners

dhanners Member

As requested, I stuck a couple of photos in my Gallery of my contest winners (except for the Proton) and their plaques. I hope it is the start of a trend for our hobby....
  8. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

After looking at the photos it is easy to understand how they won!
    Excelent builds, and well deserved recognition!
  9. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I agree with the previous poster -- very well done indeed! And I'm sure you earned some style points with your display bases, which I thought were very appropriate to the craft and also well-executed. Congrats on your awards!
  10. popala

popala Member

First of all: big congratulations David!

Second: motivated by your posts I emailed the club officers of my local Little Rock IPMS chapter (which coincidentally has a show September 29-30th with my paper models on display) and they agreed that since IPMS added paper categories, next year our local show will add those as well!
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Very well done! How did you make that excellent mesh on the galileo? Its superb. I can barely make a handrail on a ship (ok so i cant at all) and you make that look perfect!
  12. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Well done, good work is always rewarded.

The awards are always nice to receive, but what I enjoy most is the look on there faces when you tell them it is made out of paper.

Jim Nunn
  13. hpept

hpept Member

Congratulations dhanners!
    Excellent models, very finely built. I can confirm that paper models can do really well in plastic models contests world.
    At the following address is reported the list of winners of all the categories at a modelling contest i used to compete when i lived in Italy.

Just look at the "Mezzi Civili" category, "Speciali" sub-category, or just do a search in the page with "Falorni Roberto" keyword. In this way it will pop-up another prize-winner (plastic, not paper, so i apologize if i offend the purists :wink: ).

Science fiction or space related subjects in my opinion are the fields in which paper can compete at the same level (or even better) of plastic models. But do we want to compare the satisfaction of presenting an almost zero cost project (and maybe win a prize) in front of people spending a fortune with short run exclusive mega super detailed resin kits? :twisted: . Again WELL DONE dhanners!
  14. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys. And Cgutzmer, while I'd like to take credit for the fine mesh on the Galileo high-gain antenna, that is the way the part comes from SCI. They have laser-cut parts, and do a fine job of it, too. (You should see their excellent magnetometer booms.)

If you haven't tried an SCI kit, you should. They're inexpensive, and it's a novel concept -- you order the parts and they snail-mail them to you, and you download the instructions from their website, which is at (And SCI didn't pay me to say that....)
  15. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I might just try that out after I finish building everyones christmas gifts :) Congrats on pic of the week - well deserved!
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Congratulations, Dhanners!!!
    And I'm going to take your word for my entry on October 7th for the contest in El Paso, TX (DesertCon).

I was thinking on a way to show, not just the models, but also something that shows where they come from. You just gave me that idea.

Thanks and congratulations again!!
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Also got me looking around. I contacted our local chapter and asked about card modelers :) We got a big show coming up April 27th - plenty of time to put together at least one quality model - I hope!
  19. SAustin16

SAustin16 Member

Congratulations on your success!

I just joined the Forums, and some of the first photos I came across were your Saturn 1Bs. I build in both plastic and card, and your techniques and attention to detail have really inspired me. You really turn out excellent models, and I want to thank you for posting your tutorial recently. I'm going to try to employ some of your techniques and see if I can improve my models.