Card Modelling with 3ds Max

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Arjun, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

Has anyone tried card modelling in 3ds Max? I've tried using the UVW-Unwrap function of the platform and I'm having a hard time getting the right shape at the right scale. I've been reading unwrap tutorials such as this one, but as you can notice, that doesn't help card modelling, when you see unequal scalings there.

And of course, searching the forums doesn't help- "3ds" and "max" are too short for search!
  2. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

I use 3d max for all my models. I rarely use the unwrap flatten method, except for difficult mesh like cones, cylinders and curve surfaces. I flattened them manually with rotating the planes, snap to 3D vertex is a useful tool. you can place the axis perfectly.

For scaling you have to make a 'base measuring scale', for example a cube or sphere are good ones. You have to render every flattened parts always with this base cube or sphere. Then you will have to resize to make them the same scale with matching the size of those cube /sphere.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Thats a great tutorial.

I model in Max. I use a loose interpretation of the final material for the model as a placeholder. I unwrap in Pepakura and use Illustrator to finalize all the details and pretty much finish the model in general.
  4. Arjun

Arjun Member

Manual unfolds will take a lot of time, and calculations as well. I'd prefer something faster, so I need to know the tricks of the unfold. Looking at your tank models, I wonder, how long these took.

The base technique is a little hard to understand. If I'm not wrong, do you put these base primitives near the mesh components before unfold? Then, that makes the unfold a lot clearer and closer to scale, but I am trying to avoid odd unfolded shapes, such as a cone whose base is an ellipse or vertical faces are not identical, when it was a perfect cone to start.
  5. julescrafter

julescrafter Member took a lot of time :p
    now I use pepakura, the first "victim" was my haunebu II model :)
    when testbuild they just joined perfectly. For the scale, I use "base" technique similar to that I have mentioned before, but not with manual unfolding anymore.

6. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

any reccomendations for basic tutorials or simple projects for a newb to Max?
  7. Arjun

Arjun Member

I'm not too keen on going back to Pepakura, unless my model is fully finished and no proper unfold is possible. I'd like to use all the facilites of 3ds Max and Photoshop for preparing the layout.

My first experiment was using the flatten/unfold combination. I can't get the right kind of seams for an unfold, the way I can in Pepakura. In the Flatten mode, I get the pieces in the shapes I want, but the shapes are not accurate. In Unfold, all of it gets scrambled again.

Then, of course, I can texture the model as most 3-D modellers do normally, then use Pepakura to unfold. However, I'm trying to bypass that particular phase, and finish the unfold entirely in Max. Box mapping is something I have yet to try. I don't know how to unfold a cone.