Card Modeling can be hazardous to your health

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Larry Marshall, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Saturday morning I found this site. Prior to then, I'd been blissfully ignorant of all the superb modeling being done with cardstock. I'd also been content to eat, sleep and otherwise conduct the basics of life. All that has changed and I fear that card modeling may be detrimental to my health and well-being.

As some of you know, I posted a couple msgs asking about Russell's Eindecker build thread. The insights gained from that are still rattling around in my brain. But that was only the beginning. I spent, from Saturday morning until 1:30 Sunday morning surfing the web, reading everything I could about card modeling, downloading stuff and otherwise thinking about card modeling.

Sunday morning, at 7PM, I was sipping coffee and continuing to read threads here. I'm sure I won't remember it all but geez...guys...thanks for taking the time to write all that great stuff.

I was at Staples when they opened. I bought 250 sheets of 67 and 110lb stock and headed home. Spent a while measuring, doing the math that Russell had outlined and I made up the laminations for the Eindecker (don't even know when/how to use the .024 and .018 stuff but I have them now). I printed one of the Eindeckers. I printed one of Wayne's Oberusel engines. I printed a couple simple car models so that my daughter and I could just see how the joints are made. I also printed little Teletubbies for my daughter...and a Morane for myself. Ah heck, we printed a bunch of stuff :)

We spent that evening cutting and gluing and while my "model" is completely lack-lustre (a one-piece Renault 5), I was having a ball. I then started cutting parts for the Oberusel. When I got tired I went back to surfing card sites. Went to bed at 2AM.

I bounced out of bed at 6 Monday morning. Had to spend the afternoon at the hospital so I continued reading all morning. In the evening, though, I continued working on the Oberusel. I finished up the Oberusel today and also picked up a pad of 110lb Bristol board at the art supply store.

Promise me that you'll get up from your seat and only look at this photo from way across the room:

As you can see, I much to learn, techniques to master. Something tells me that an Oberusel isn't the place to start but I'm having soooooooo much fun. Thanks again for being there/here. I think I might try to sleep tonight :)

Cheers --- Larry
  2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I find it hard to believe that you just started making card models from that pic! :-D
    That is one fine engine you have there. Wish that any of my first three attempts turned out half that good. It looks like you may have a natural gift in this hobby and I look forward to your future builds.

Don't worry about the sudden obsession you have with the forums and downloading and printing out of more models than you will probably ever get around to building. This is natural for all of us that are new to this hobby and from what I understand just gets worse with time! :twisted:

Welcome aboard and keep those build photos coming!
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I like it a lot! nice job and welcome to a most addicting hobby :D

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Larry,

The engine looks like a proffessional built it. You may indeed be a natural.
    While reading your posting, I noted the models you had downloaded. I also noted that you had been surfing the net, soaking up all sorts of info on card models.
    Well, I am sure you also followed up many leads to free cardmodels, but on the off chance you didnt, I thought I would give you a few links that might help you find some downloads to your liking. So, below are a few links that you might find enjoyable, they may also already be links you know of, in which case, let me know because I have tons of links to just about everything.
    Anyway, check out these sites when you get a chance: several free models can be found here, just look for them. page with links to many aircraft, and if you look on left of page you can navigate to even more. tons of free paper models, dont worry about d/l ing the chinese font, models are in a universal language lol. jleslies site (fellow member here) Space vehicles, sci fi, and other models be sure to look here. if this doesnt bring you to a ton of model links, then look for the words 1000's of links to models lol. webdudes site, (another member here) Lots of great models. free jets, be sure to click on the photo, then download the .pdf, then come back and click on the same aircrafts NAME and download that .pdf too (instructions in one .pdf, model in the other). Oops, only the aircraft in yellow are for download, but they change all the time.

If you want more, or have something in particular you would like, let me know and I probably have a link to it or something similar to it.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW
  5. Oh heck now, I built a Renault 5 before I built that engine :) Truthfully, Richard (and I apologize Richard for saying that Wayne designed the Oberusel) does all the heavy lifting when it comes to building one of his models.

But it is the case that I've been building models for a while; they just haven't been made from card stock.

My natural tendency is to screw up. I just don't show people that stuff. Like you didn't see the 3 cylinders that went in the garbage; the ones that ended up on the engine are bad enough :)

Russell is providing a nice series on the Fokker build. I'm just going to hang in his shadow and benefit from his experience.

Cheers --- Larry
  6. Thanks for the welcome, Chris. What is the "Jade Dragon Automata" that you're working on? Sounds interesting. One of the things that thrills me to no end is how people building very different sorts of models are aggregated under the banner of card modelers. That doesn't seem to be the case for other sorts of modeling.

Cheers --- Larry
  7. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Welcome to the hobby.
    This engine really looks good. You said you trashed only three cylinders while building it??????
    I usually have to go through few more before my engine looks halfway decent (if I build it at all that is :grin: )
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hi Larry,
    Your bragging on me too much. As a matter of fact, half the time I have no idea what I'm doing. :oops:

Everyone has to start sometime and what better way than to just jump right in there! I really admire the way you did just that! Jump right in there and do it pardner! Your engine looks great! Keep up the great work my fellow paper addict! So what if you make mistakes. You learn from them and move on. It's the process of getting there that is so much fun and the end result fills you with pride!
    One of the things I enjoy about this hobby is that if you do mess a peice up beyond repair, a new one is as close as your printer!

The paper dragon which I have printed and have yet to build is a real marvel of a model in my book.
    You can find it and many other wonderful models designed by Steven Marshall here;

Steve asks for a donation of $5 for this model but once you take a look, I am sure you will agree it is well worth that little bit of change.

Oh yeah, about the thickness' of the stock I made; I was just experimenting laminating different amounts and combinations of 67lb and 110lb to see how close I could get to something I could use for the Eindeckers. I am sure I will not use all the thickness' that I made but whatever is left over can be used for something else eventually, even if I have to laminate another sheet or two to it.

Welcome to the forum Larry and thanks again for all your praise!

9. Ha...professionally designed, maybe, but not by me. But thanks for the kind words.

Well, aren't you nice. The scary thing is that I have been to all of these sites with one exception. Haven't fully investigated them though, so thanks for the reminder.

Cheers --- Larry
  10. I should have Michael, but my expectation is that this first model will have lots of warts.

As long as I'm talking to you, I have a question about your kit keys. I do all of my Internet/graphics stuff on my laptop EXCEPT that when I need to print something I turn on a desktop and print. If I buy your kits, is there a way that I can work with them on my laptop but print them from my desktop? Ultimately I need to network my printers which would solve the problem I guess but that's not how it is right now. Any ideas?

Cheers --- Larry
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Without networking your laptop just moving the files manually to the desktop with a thumb drive or something similar is one option, the other is just plugging the printer you want directly into your laptop ;) should be easy enough to move the laptop close enough to the printer ;) - this is especially easy if they are usb printers but should be easy enough in any case. Why do you only print from your desktop?

Russell gave you the link I got it the dragon from. I have only just started cutting and its going together very well so far. Its a gift for my sister in law and if it continues like this it will be well worth the 5 bucks. Assuming I dont screw it up like I do half of them ;) heh heh
  12. <grin>...looking to you for guidance, perhaps.

I figure that what's the worst that can happen. I create some paper for recycling and maybe make a fool of myself by talking about it here :) So far I'm thrilled with the medium in spite of my limited skills with it. With the help of you and others here, I just might figure out how to do some of this stuff. Sure hope so.

I couldn't say it any better than that.

I'm now a registered owner :) This model is just too cool! I think I'm going to buy a few airplane kits too. This community is just too great not to support those who bring us great models, often for free.

I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with the Eindecker parts that aren't on .7mm.

Thank you for doing the build-along.

Cheers --- Larry
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Not sure what you mean by "work with them". I can always send you two registrations, one for laptop, second for the desktop but don't know if this would answer your question.
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Have you gone back to bed yet? :p heh heh
  15. be honest, I'm not sure either. Mostly, when I buy something I figure I own the copy that I bought. Obviously, your protection scheme limits my ability to sell that copy if I choose to do so. Other than that, I don't know what limits the protection places on my ability to store, move, manipulate, print your kits. As a newbie I don't have enough saavy to speculate. Maybe it's best for me to wait until such time as I get my printers networked, etc. and I get smarter about this. Thanks.

Cheers --- Larry
  16. Good night's sleep last night but the night before...not a wink. This time, however, it wasn't because of card modeling. In fact, I've gotten nothing done on that front for the last 30h or so.

Cheers --- Larry