Card Model wishes?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by thewoodengraver, Apr 24, 2007.

1. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Here is what I'd like to design.

Crowley tracktor tug as used in Valdez.
    Alaska marine highway ferry.
    Water taxi with kayaks
    Crabbing vessel
    Bow picker fishing boat
    Long liner
    Bluewater sailing vessel
    The Poletkofski, Russian built paddle wheel
    The Double Helix, Research vessel
    A Flightwing, ekronaplan used out of Juneau.
    A Cabin Cruiser with trailer and truck to pull it.
    The water taxi used on Elliot Bay in Seattle.
    A float plane like the ones I see out at Lake Hood.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I too would like to do the cat section with JBD and launch shuttle.............

Give me a little more time and IF you have some detailed pixs that might help.

There IS a deck edging in 1/33 available I have done, and I'm also going to post an aft section, now that I got the center line closer. These are in the Parts Bin section.

These are USS ENTERPISE decking, but I can also post a generic NIMITZ Class decking to, if it is wanted.

3. damraska

damraska Member

Actually, it was your carrier deck sections that generated my interest in the whole launch assembly as a diorama.

The USS Enterprise decking works best for me, as the Halinski Tomcat I built is marked for VF-1 aboard that carrier in the mid 70s. Of course, I built that particular model with all that hatches and radom open, so I cannot realistically hook it up to a catapult.

It also just occurred to me that my two Phantoms and Corsair II are all Air Force. That's damn inconvenient.

So what 1:33 scale US carrier jets are available? Halinski makes a Tomcat from Enterprise. GPM makes an Intruder, Prowler, and Hawkeye, all of which I believe are marked for Forrestel. The Halinski Hornet is marked for Saratoga. I do not know how the Halinski Phantoms or Modelik Hornet are marked. That's not much to choose from, and they are spread all over the fleet.

I do not have any carrier deck schematics, but I will try and dig something up.

4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well............... My dad was on the SARATOGA CVA-60 and I have his cruise book........... so that will be a big help and it shouldn't be a problem to work up that deck.

The good thing is that the decks are not very differnt from ship to ship, just different marks and sometime different tie downs.

I can also do 1/48 scale so............. you are not limited to that scale nsd there are a few more naval aircraft in this scale.

Rob did a FG A-7 and it scales up very nicely to 1/48.

Glad that something I make inspired someone.............Thanks!

5. eddieh38

eddieh38 New Member

I would like to see is some ships from the V_mini_series V_Mothership & v_shuttles
  6. jparenti

jparenti Member

Okay, now I want Rebostar's Iron Giant, too! :) I've looked all over for it, so you have to promise to post a thread about it if you get any farther. I'd be very happy to try it out.
    And another model wanted, which will never see the light of day, I imagine. The USS L.Y. Spear, the ship my girlfriend's parents served on in the 1980s while in the US Navy. I think it's just too obscure a subject, but I can dream...
  7. cjd

cjd Member

Jack Skellington from 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' would be awesome

8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

This L.Y. Spear?
  9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

check Webdude Rick's website, you might find what you want

10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I spent some lunchtime looking for references to the Vimy Ridge Memorial... ;)

Someone is gonna grant their OWN wish.
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

This is just my personal opinion, but I would love to see more models of land, sea and air vehicles that were not designed expressly for maiming and killing (i.e. war machines, the curse of mankind).

There are so very many cool vehicles and machines of all sorts throughout thousands of years of technological history, land/sea/air vehicles designed for tasks like:

- construction
    - agriculture
    - fire-fighting and other emergency vehicles
    - mining
    - research and exploration
    - transportation (classic American cars/trucks/buses alone is a vast and relatively untapped field)

While there are models offered in all of these categories, card modeling (and plastic modeling) remains in large part centered on technology designed to injure, kill, and destroy. War machines are fascinating, and as a guy I understand completely the attraction (my weaknesses are pre-dreadnoughts and zeppelins). But personally, I would love to see something of a shift in that emphasis. There is so much other amazing technology, machines and vehicles to model.

In other words, do we really need a thirty-seventh version of some WWII German tank when there is not even one vintage Mack snowplow?
  12. damraska

damraska Member

I just came from a local model club meeting, mainly geared toward cars and trucks, and I was struck by the same thing--well detailed cars, trucks, and heavy machinery are fairly rare in card model form. There are many simple card models of these vehicles, but only a very few include details like those found on military hardware.

Does anyone make a card model car or truck with frame, engine, transmission, differential, steering, interior, and the like? Perhaps the Fly Model tractor and trailer? Some of the Orlik fire engines?
  13. rickstef

rickstef Guest

the PK Graphica trucks are nicely detailed, and i have seen some of our czech friends and their builds of the trucks they have.

very well done

14. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

I want a model of the USS Chandler DDG-996. That is the ship that I served on while in the navy. Actually any of the four Kidd class destroyers would be fine since I could change it into the Chandler.
    Second wish would be an endless supply of pirate ships or other multi mast sailing vessels.
    Third wish, someplace to put all these models I dream of building (barely have room for the ones I have built now not including the stacks of unbuilt ones).
  15. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Yes Yes I Want It Done As Well ..... The "v" Series Space Craft.... Yes Yes.... Somebody Please Make Them.... These Startrek, Starwars, Robocop, Mechwarior.... Everything Was Done.... How About This... C'mon It's Science Fiction.... Never Have I Seen Any Models Of Those... Now That I Mention This.... Has Anyone Ever Thought Of Making These Models.... I Would If I Could!
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Werner, you CAN make paper models! You need two programs, one of which will cost you $38 for the full version, the other is free. Go to and download Pepakura, firstly as a free demo. If you like it, I highly recommend that you buy the password, it enables the saving and exporting functions.
    Then go the Googles SketchUp program site, download the free version of SketchUp, and the materials library.

Fire up SketchUp, make something, anything, a box, paint the sides with the materials tool, and save the model as a kmz version 4 file;

Now fire up Pepakura, open the kmz file you just made, hit the 'unfold' button, and bing, model is unfolded, tabs attached, bitmaps put in the right place. Now print it!

You just made your first paper model!!

Now, go back to sketchup and do some of the tutorials, and as you make more complex models, bash them through Pepakura and see what you get. Not quite what you thought? Look at Pepakuras help files and tutorials to get to grips with its controls. You can decide where to split the model, how big it will be, where the tabs go, all sorts of stuff.

After half a dozen models done this way, I bet you will be off on your own, and then you can have EXACTLY what you want, without waiting for someone else to design it for you.

Werner, you CAN do this! Anyone can!

17. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Thanks Tim,

I'm downloading Google Sketchup as I'm writing.... thank you so much for your help!
    Can't wait to begin.....

Pepakura next!

I'll keep you updated Tim...... for sure!
  18. RichB in AZ

RichB in AZ New Member

Has anyone seen a model of the new Triumph Bonneville?
    or am I going to go the "design and build it yourself" route?

19. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I would like to see a F-22A Raptor 1:33 in digital meda. Dr. Z this should be right up your ally. Plus all forms of the F-35.
    Along with Every Thing Doug Listed.
  20. Samardza

Samardza New Member

Wish List

Here is my cardmodel wish list

Beech Staggerwing, Waco 4-5 seat Cabin Biplane, any version,
    Antonov AN-2, Bellanca Aircruiser(flying W)

Military Vehicles
    Scorpion/Scimitar, Stormer, Fox/Ferret, Saladin/Saracen

SCi Fi
    Aries/Moonbus(2001), Leonov(2010)

Underwater Habitats, Conshelf 1,2,3, Sealab 1,2,3, Tektite 1/2,
    Aquarius, Hydrolab, La Chalupa(Jule's Undersea Lodge), and the Deepcore from The Abbys

Antarctic Reseach Stations, lots of variety, and the Snow Cruiser from the 30's

many of these should be simple