Car stalls, restarts and will not move :(

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by TCrox, Jul 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCrox

TCrox Member

RS4 3 RTR
    Finally got a full tank to run through (no case on). So I let it cool down, started it up, put the case on and ran for awhile. After about a half a tank the car stalled. So I took the case off and checked it out, looked fine. Started, eventually, but when I give it throttle it doesn't go anywhere. Any ideas on where to start??
  2. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ok how hot is it running and dd you check out the hole drive train to see if anything is makeing it so it wont move? Put it on the ground or table and roll it and if it rolls ok then the drive trainis bad. maybe check the clutch shoes for glazed material.
  3. redheat

redheat Member

Sounds like the clutch is not engaging, take alook at the clutch bell, shoes, bearings, if clutch is engaging dif could be problem, Is your radio on , check batterys on car are they good . All 4 wheels locked down?
  4. TCrox

TCrox Member

I didn't have a chance to try it out again, and I have no idea about what's what in there yet. I found a pebble lodged in the "purple gear" lol right under the air filter, whatever you call that. Those look a little warn already, is that normal? I'll see tonight when I get home if it fixed it or not...
  5. redheat

redheat Member

Pebble that'll cause a headache, spur gears maybe?
  6. TCrox

TCrox Member

yeah, whatever gear it's called that's directly under the air filter.. that's the one that had the pebble. Removed it and it ran sweet for a tank of gas. Then I put in a new brand of fuel out of a brand new gallon... ran like SHlT! Hardly ever hit 2nd gear, and the only time it would was if I was 75% throttle or less. Off the line was about the same as my electirc rustler, top end too if I kept full throttle. Could the entire gallon be bad? I find it hard to believe that me running out of gas would cause that much damage... I doubt it but could me putting a new air filter in there cause that? I'm picking up different fuel tomorrow, we'll see how that goes.
  7. redheat

redheat Member

What brand of fuel %%%% you didnt pick up airplane fuel by chance did you? As long as you squeezed all the oil out of the filter element the filter should be ok. Your fuel should be just fine as long as your using the correct fuel. Back to the filter is it a different brand? When changing fuel you should take it easy for a tank or to so the engine can adjust to it.
  8. TCrox

TCrox Member

The second tank seemed to be a bit better... I can actually get to almost 80% throttle now, but it still seems slow as hell. Of course I forgot the fuel can at the house and just have the squeeze bottle with me today. I'm 95% sure I didn't get plane fuel, unless the guy at my lhs is a complete moron (could very well be)... but there's a section for nitro cars and a totally different section for planes in the store so I highly doubt it. I may have picked up some 16%... I won't know until I get home. Gonna run it at lunch, see how a few more tanks run.
  9. redheat

redheat Member

Might be a good Idea to use 20% with at leased 12to 16% oils, the more oil or lub. the longer your engine well last. Just check the bottle , Trinity Monster Blend great stuff.
  10. TCrox

TCrox Member

If it helps the fuel is blue, the old fuel was pink (or purple). Just ran another tank and noticed I don't have any smoke at all! No white smoke, no fuel coming out of the exhaust... too lean?
  11. redheat

redheat Member

Yea brother put the brakes on that puppy, okay now blue now that leads me to believe that you are using Blue Thunder 20% , old fuel being Trinity platinum thats good. Dont understand the no smoke thing ,thats saying lean throw a little rich on that motor. Lube content makes a dif. Blue Thunder does make a Race Formula is that what you have ? If so that'll require retuning it .
  12. TCrox

TCrox Member

Yeah, I had to start over on my H/S needle. It's close now, back to screeming at least when I mash on the throttle. When I hit top end the smoke isn't as thick, but at least it's not spitting fuel out of the exhaust anymore.

Again think you for your help and patience, you rule!
  13. redheat

redheat Member

Thanks, I just cant get enough of this stuff, just watch your temp. and try to remember that when adjusting your settings start rich and go to lean, good idea to take notes on settings. Red
  14. TCrox

TCrox Member

is it worth it to try and tweek the L/S needle? I mean if it's running and running fast is there much to gain?
  15. redheat

redheat Member

not really ,keep in mind that better than 3/4 of that throttle is H/S, if your bogging a little on the bottom than lean it out about1/8 turn.
  16. TCrox

TCrox Member

I think I just smoked my engine, litteraly. So I understand this correctly... If I were to open up (counter-clockwise) my H/S needle 3 and a half turns, this would be a very rich mix right? So if it's spitting fuel out the exhaust I'd have to close it (clockwise) little by little until it stops blowing fuel... right??

That being the case, at lunch I opened it up to the point that it was spitting fuel, closed it little by little, and I got to the point of getting a good stream of smoke, no fuel. I just went back out and ran 1/2 a tank through to have it die on me and there was smoke coming off the heat sink. I'm at a loss now becuase I thought it was set right. Any ideas?
  17. redheat

redheat Member

Smoke coming off the heat sink is a good indicator that you got things a little on the hot side, did the performance start to slow down before you notice smoke? CC=rich, CW=lean, and yes 3.5 out is rich, now did you take a good look at that fuel and if so what is it?
  18. TCrox

TCrox Member

Performance dropped off like Bush supporters on a Howard Stern radio station. The can of fuel is at my house, I'm at work. My lhs is my 1st stop on my way home. Thank god it's Flash Friday!! I hate taking the freeway's during a Friday rush hour, but at least now I have a chance to see some hooters on the way there! :)
  19. redheat

redheat Member

Hooters hey I'm up for that, I'd stop running the car until you find out what kinda fuel your running in your car. Now I'm gonna have to go soon so here's my take on what's going on. If your running the correct fuel ,and I think that you are then check for any air leaks, start with the heat sink bolts, back plate, carb., make sure that your lines dont have holes or tears, I think that what is happening is that your getting air in the system and thats making you run hot, by the way do you have a temp. gun if not I would recommend purchasing one great tool to have ,so anyway go threw your car with a fine tooth comb and let me no what you come up with , Ill be back Tuesday good luck with the trouble shooting, RED
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.