Car Pulling Challenge

Art Lamb

Hey guys, and girls how about seeing who can get the most cars being pulled by a single loco. You get to pick the loco and then we load until it cannot pull anymore. I realize that we cannot send a judge to watch you in action, but I think we can trust everyone to be honest. Once you do this take a picture and post it so we can all get a look see. This is kind of like is done at shows.

What ya... think...
Art

Virginian

Sounds kinda fun to me, Art...could we start the contest in about 6 months?
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
...I only have one Trainmaster and about 10 cars on my roster so far...(No trouble pullin' all those, at about a hunerd miles 'n hour
eek.gif
(scale mph that is!!!) Level track? Grades? Set Speed? Duration? or Distance pulled?
"The game is afoot"
VGN
cool.gif

Art Lamb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Virginian:
Sounds kinda fun to me, Art...could we start the contest in about 6 months?
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
...I only have one Trainmaster and about 10 cars on my roster so far...(No trouble pullin' all those, at about a hunerd miles 'n hour
eek.gif
(scale mph that is!!!) Level track? Grades? Set Speed? Duration? or Distance pulled?
"The game is afoot"
VGN
cool.gif
</font>

How about as Catt is the moderator we get him to setup some rules, and then we have a go at it. I can then practice for awhile and take home the prize. Which of course is nothing, but it could be fun for all of us.

Art

C

Catt

Anybody else interested in doing this? C'mon you people let's get involved here.Post and let me know.

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life

shamus

Registered Member
Okay guys, I'm in, if you include HO. I'll use my two three truck shays in tandom. hehehe

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 03-12-2001).]

C

Catt

Hey listen up you woman stealer
biggrin.gif
The contest will be one loco only.

------------------
Catt! NARA#1 & A freelancer for life

Virginian

Hey, if shamus can use two shays, then I get to hook up my new Mallet to a buddy's 4-8-4 at SCMRS
wink.gif
(Sonoma County Model Railroad Society)
But really...I think two or three catagories would be neat..seperate scale catagories, steam and diesel sub catagoris in each scale...maybe 'shays' are in a class all by themselves
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
(
wink.gif
) If HO is included, I've got a BIG layout to run it on, with the club's rolling stock to make use of, all set to NMRA standards ( not a requirement...but shall we consider ...no "light load" cars??
Hey, I think this is gonna be fun!!
I've got 37,I think it was, HO, and my loco's not even 'set up' or 'greased' yet.. I was chasin' my caboose on the 4x8 oval at the train shop!!
rolleyes.gif

VGN
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-12-2001).]

Art Lamb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Catt!:
Hey listen up you woman stealer
biggrin.gif
The contest will be one loco only.

</font>
Hey Catt... how about any ONE loco... and the cars have to be at NMRA standard weight. On the level, and you have to produce a pic to be included.....

Art

Virginian

May I suggest that anyone interested shoot some ideas to Catt re: rules and he could decide which to use, then post them. That way, everybody gets to fully participate. I'm on board...I only request that some time be given for replys and then the 'Contest' be open for, oh, a month or two maybe?
Hope the passenger cars, boxcars and coal hoppers I ordered come in soon
biggrin.gif
...I'll have to find a feller to team up with...hey, could that be allowed, one engine, but any number of of 'rolling stock' 'leasors'?
VGN
cool.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Listen PussyCatt,
eek.gif
you gave me your word regarding my taking Susan away from you, she is mine, and whats wrong with you Art, spitting back quotes from Catt. Keep your distance.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
She is still having a nice time with my workers.
ent4tn.jpg

Here she is in miniature on my flat car.
heislergirl.jpg

---------------------------
Okay guys, I am out of this contest, I have very little FLAT places on my layout, mostly grades. (Logging you know) So have a good un.
shamus

[This message has been edited by shamus (edited 03-13-2001).]

Virginian

Hey shamus!
When I get my Appalachian Mountains built, WE can have a contest..you pull logs, I'll pull coal.
biggrin.gif

But why make 'strict' rules: some can run on main line 'flat', some can run on grade,some can run Z, some N, some can run HO, some can run to the store for another 6 pack
rolleyes.gif
..."les jes awl hev urselvs a good ol tyme" ??? Hey guys, how many cars can U pull on your layouts??
wink.gif
So Catt and Art, whatcha think?? VGN
cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-13-2001).]

W

wt&c

well let me git my old revell gp7 out of the box (n scale) and the last I checked she pulled a good 35 cars
biggrin.gif

------------------
NARA Member #8
www.a&a.77th.com/
The Appalachian & Atlantic Railroad
"QUALITY at WORK with SAFTEY in MIND"

Virginian

shamus,
I'll check the grade %s on the SCMRS layout tonight...in the meantime...as soon as I get my Mallet payed for...we have a contest
biggrin.gif

ART , Catt:...As far as N scale goes....
I'm locked down on the actual construction on the new layout as I have just been diagnosed to have carpel tunnel syndrome; left hand,wrist,forearm...not much use for a while...it'll be drawing, reading, internet reasearch, learning from the guys at the club.. right now I can't even finish taking up the 'test' track out in the shop!!
mad.gif

But consider me in and I'll try to stay with it, if I can.
VGN
cool.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Okay brother V.
Lets have fun. I tested mine this morning, using a 3.t.shay, it pulled up the 5% grade -
9 log cars with three logs on each, plus 8 box cars and caboose. with 9 box cars, started to slip. My 5% grade starts out for about 6' on the straight, then into a curve (36") then (still climbing) back to the straight. About 20' all in all for the climb.
No idea what the shay would pull on the flat.