car help

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by WESTSIDERIDER310, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a nitro mt and the problem i got is that the throttle arm and the brake arm are all connected to the same servo. And when i hit the brake it pulls my throttle all the way back and the car stalls. Any advice on how to fix that problem.
  2. timrock

timrock Active Member

you need to adjust the throttle/brake linkage.
  3. i did adjust it, the only way it works is if i make the brake very tight, like if i don't hit the throttle the brake is engaged.
  4. dirtovallMaster

dirtovallMaster New Member

you need a longer link for the break
  5. timrock

timrock Active Member

i think you would need a shorter one if anything.you can put the break link to a hole on the servo arm that is closer to the servo.that will give it less of a throw tawrds the break when you let off the throttle.
  6. dirtovallMaster

dirtovallMaster New Member

longer one for the throttle i meant.
  7. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

OK, the thing you have to adjust is the idle screw. That will limit the travel on the carb so that it will not close the carb all the way. Look at your manual and see wich screw is the idle screw if you are not sure (its the small one with the spring) and turn it clockwise with the vehicle running untill the engine picks up RPM stop and turn it back just slightly. then try your brakes and everything should be fine.
  8. timrock

timrock Active Member

dont take any advice from that guy.it has nothing to do with the idle.it is the linkage without a dout.
  9. timrock

timrock Active Member

if you adjusted the idle that far the motor would be screeming and would engage the clutch and take off.
  10. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Hello again MORON. You have prooved that lima bean have intellegence.
  11. timrock

timrock Active Member

i hate it when people like rockn82 misslead people.
  12. tfhughes_28

tfhughes_28 Member

hey guys...Read the manuals......i have one as well...sounds like the idle screw for sure. If the idle is set by the throttle trim then when the brake is applied the truck will stall..it's in the manual.
  13. timrock

timrock Active Member

nah.his problem is that the break is being applied when he lets go of the trigger.the break should be applied when you push the triger.he needs to do somthing with the linkage.to be totally sure what to do exactly i would have to look at it.but it is most likly not just bringing up the idle on the carb.
    you should get a Transmitter with,not only,throttle trim but with Throttle.ATV
    i design and use my own Mechanical motor/speed controls for my electric powered cars.they use one servo for throttle and break just like your Nitro does.and i need the Throttle ATV to use them.
    my buddy went nuts with his custom nitro truck trying to set the linkage right for using one servo for the brake and throttle.because he didnt have Throttle.ATV
  14. timrock

timrock Active Member

bring up the idle on the carb and if you Do have Throttle ATV on your transmitter,then you can,probably,just use that to adjust it with out even touching the linkage.
  15. thanks guys i will try both ways and see what works.
  16. timrock

timrock Active Member

anytime buddy good luck
  17. if i set the idle screw and when i hit the brake it still pulls the throttle arm back, after time won't it brake the idle screw.
  18. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

You need to do a bit of both. you need to adjust your linkage so the you dont have any binding/braking when the servo is at neutral and you need to set your idle so that your car doesnt stall out. That being said you stated that your problem is that when you brake you stall the engine... so you adjusted the linkage so that the engine doesnt stall but now you are having brake drag when idling. so you need to reset the brake linkage so that you dont have that drag and adjust the idle screw so that you dont stall. dont listen to Tim hes an idiot and (by his own admission) knows nothing about nitro.
  19. dudex

dudex Member

adjust the idle on the carb first. so that when you break your motor does not cut off. then adjust the linkage so that when you let go of the throttle your engine goes to nuetral and when you brake your carb does not close any further than when at nuetral. Then set the brake manually so that it doent drag at nuetral but you still get good braking power when you break with the transmitter. Make sure your wheels dont lock up when you break because this will just cause you to skid like in a real car.
  20. timrock

timrock Active Member

rsocmax:i never said i know nothing about nitro.i know more than you did when you got talked into rebuilding you motor after every race by a machine shop.you are the idiot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.