CAPS and TIMING questions

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by dj6666969, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ok I have a Atomic force 17 turn motor and I did not put the caps on it and it runs just fine. My question is do I need them on? I do not get any interferince at all.

For timing it says the motor has adjustable timing, my questions are is it worht it? How do you do it? If any 1 has a link they could post on how to do it that would be great!
  2. redheat

redheat Member

Did it come with 2or3 capaciters? either way just tigh them into each other and solder to motor tabs. I would use them to help with radio interference. Timing can be a little tricky that 17t is probably set at about 15 and 20 degrees. I would never advance past 20d ,I found on my Gem motors 17t that about 14d works good batterie last alittle longer and motor last longer . What are you running it in? RED
  3. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I am running it in a traxxas 4tec, would the caps really make a differnece I have had no problems at all! How do you set the timing? How do I know where it is at?
  4. redheat

redheat Member

I would use the caps do what you want thats up to you , Now timing you have 2 screws at the end bell loosen them, you dont need to remove them . On most motors each mark is about 6degrees timing so count were you are at. use the marker on the end bell and count from zero mark to were the mark on the can is .
    That well tell you were your timing is set as I said before I would gess at 15 to 20 deg.
  5. redheat

redheat Member

I meant not to excide 30degrees that'll totally fry that motor.
  6. redheat

redheat Member

What are you using for a ESC?
  7. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

novak 410PCH...no motor limit, which is awsome!
  8. redheat

redheat Member

After you get your 17t worked out drop a Speed Gem 7t and drop your gearing that thing well fly. THat 17t should get you around the track purdy darn fast to with the right gearing. Make sure your gearing is correct for that motor or youll smoke it. RED
  9. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well for the 17 turn I was running I think a 27 tooth pinon and a 66 tooth spur, my LHS has a 51 tooth on its way
  10. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

for speed gems the lowest turn I can find is 9t
  11. redheat

redheat Member

That 27/66 is more for a stock motor like a 27turn with a fixed 24deg. timing. Try looking on the Tower hobbie site for the other Speed
    Gem motors , there cheap about 31. bux each .
  12. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

well the way I was told big pinon small spur equals speed!
  13. redheat

redheat Member

Brother the pinion that I suggested is big 27teeth big and the 66 spur well flat out fly thats why I said w/ a stocker motor 27t. And yes you are so right the bigger the pinion and the smaller the spur the fast you'll go but keep in mind that gearing is the real key to top speed the motor is what is gonna get you there faster, you cant over gear or under gear motors or youll fry them.
  14. redheat

redheat Member

Heres a little more help for gearing ,just keep in mind that a good starting point would be this always start with a pinion gear that is 2 teeth lower than your motor , for example you have a 17turn motor set at 16 deg. timing use a 15 tooth pinion gear, I'd even say change your spur to a 82 tooth and work down if you need to youll end up with a lot of punch and good top speed. RED
  15. redheat

redheat Member

Lets get off this 13
  16. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

huh, and also for gearing ill try what you said.
  17. redheat

redheat Member

good luck with it , if you give me your tranny ratio I can figure out your final drive ratio for you , RED
  18. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I downloaded this gear program that tells you the speed for like different spur gears,pinons,tires,and motor RPM's, iv been messing around wiht it and all but I dont know how many RPM's my motor is. I checked on towerhobbies and the kyosho motor site but no luck. The motor is a Atomic 17 turn by Kyosho. Can you help me find out the rpm's?
  19. redheat

redheat Member

Try about 23,000. RED
  20. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ok ill give that a try
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.