cape cod railroad steam to run like a trolley back and forth

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by ponchew, Nov 11, 2006.

1. ponchew

ponchew New Member

Hello, I am an amateur looking to create a replica of the old 1920-30 Cape Cod Railroad. It will be installed for winter display on the Macmillan Pier in Provincetown as part of my artist recreation of the old Railroad Pier. I am trying to figure out what train to buy and how to wire it to have it operate automatically like a trolley car going back and forth stopping at bumpers at both ends and reversing. I would like to use N or HO scale and just was recently told by a local hobby store that this was a difficult task. I find that hard to believe. Is this true and could anyone direct me toward what train and where to get it?:wave: thanks
  2. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Hello and Welcome: Difficult, perhaps. Impossible, no. Model railroaders are known for their ability to come up with solutions to problems.
    Since I'm a "wet"(west) coast modeler, I won't attempt to give you info on The Cape Cod Railroad. I'm sure there are North East modelers that know more than I do. Do you have any old photo's of the railroad that shows equipment? How much space do you have to work with? There are commercially available systems that allow a train to reverse at the end of the line and I believe I saw a magazine article on how to set up pre programmed stops.
  3. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Hi: Reference my previous post, here is the name of one company that makes auto reversing units. They also state in their ad that you can use the system for up to five intermediate stops. If you can find a copy of the current (December 2006) Railroad Model Craftsman magazine, on page 115 there is an ad for the Minatronics Automatic Reversing Unit. Their address is 561-K Acorn Street Deer Park, NY 11729.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Didn't one of the magazines cover the Cape Cod railroad in the last few months? I'll have to check my library.
  5. ponchew

ponchew New Member

thanks for all the info

hello everyone,
    thanks for the info. I do have a picture of the old railroad of which i found on on the capetrain website. And have found a local model railroad club that can help me too.
  6. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

I'm sure you'll get lots of help from your local club. Your project sounds interesting to me also. We have an automated branch line on our club layout, which is in a local museum here. We run a gas electric railcar back and forth but no intermediate stops. Fortunately, one of our club members was an electronics geek for a post production company in Los Angeles before he retired, so we had his expertise to rely on. Post some pictures of your progress.