Canyon Mtn N-gineers Website Updated

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well planned and nicely thought out railroad, Great pictures. I have signed your guestbook.

Shamus

upguy

Oregon Western Lines, CEO
Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
Well, Charlie, it's not really an organized club because we don't have any bylaws, etc. When I say "we," I am referring to individuals that have expressed an interest in model railroading. (I have probably had a couple dozen people in this classification.) Some of them have even helped me in some way in the construction on at least one occasion, but with only one exception they have not returned on a regular basis to help. I don't think this is a personality flaw on my part; but, I suppose, anything is possible. :eek: I think it is more a problem of dedication to the construction process. (Most want to operate trains or talk.) I understand that this is not uncommon in clubs around the globe.

So, most of what has been accomplished to this point has been the result of my work and my resources. Obviously, I would not be as far as I am without the assistance of others. However, there would be very little progress to show if I had to wait for others to appear. I did have one other individual that was available to contribute a considerable amount of time and effort for a while, but he changed jobs and is now traveling out of the area with his job responsibilities most of the time. I haven't seen much of him in the last six months. In the meantime, I'll just keep plodding along. Someday (probably when the layout is mostly complete) others will be willing to come on board.:rolleyes: Time will tell.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, upguy, I'd love to help you with the construction. To me, that's probably the most fun! (Does this mean I'm going to build layout after layout after layout? Probably! :)) The only problem is, though, that you're located over 2,000 miles away (according to MapQuest, as the crow drives). Maybe if we could get some high-speed rail... :)

-Rory

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi upguy!
I've had the same sort of experiences with trying to get together with other modelers. It's really hard to get people that can devote time on any regular basis to model RRing. After you factor in jobs, kids, spouses, emergencies, & anything else you can think of, it can really thin out the crew at the monthly meeting!
So I've been a bit of a lone wolf at this for quite a while now, & I really kind of prefer it that way now. Especially now that I have this wonderful forum, with which to share the joys of the hobby with other folks.
And Rory,
I believe that building a layout is just like an artist building a sculpture, or painting a canvas - Once you get to a certain stage with it, it's time to start another one! :)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Yeah, Charlie, I keep telling myself that I can't start a new layout until: (1) I have the hill on the east end of the layout covered in trees (my pines, 11 of which are awaiting limbs and foliage), and (2) I have the logging camp and sawmill built and installed. And it would probably be a good idea to finish out the engine service facility, put the fence around the school, add in that walkway from the parking lot to the station... Well, it looks like I'll never finish it, so I'll just have pick a time and say "There, that looks done!" :D

-Rory

upguy

Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
I spent some time this afternoon working on the layout. I have redone the backdrop around the Enterprise operator pit so a little more of the track is visible behind Telocaset. I'm starting to try to get some of the scenery started in the area also. It's too early yet to say how it all will turn out, but here are a couple of pictures to give you the impression that something is being done.

Attachments

• mvc-014s.jpg
    mvc-014s.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 236

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That looks like a great project you've got going there, upguy!
Looking forward to seeing more!

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Upguy,

Are you insulating both of your rails on your turn outs? I dont want to sound out of line but I've always thought that the common rail didn't need to be insulated. or is this for DCC,which I haven't gotten into yet and haven't a clue to what gets insulated.

upguy

Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
Shane,

I have insulated both rails between the main lines because that is a requirement of Ntrak modules, which many sections of my layout were originally planned to be.

It is my understanding that it is better to not use common rail wiring practices on DCC equiped layouts. I do have the layout wired for DCC, but double insulated tracks are not necessary for it. In fact, it would probably be better to not have the tracks insulated at all. However, I will have a way to connect all the tracks electrically--probably by feeder wires that will be routed through toggle switches of some sort. (I don't have all that figured out yet.)

Presently, the track is powered through rail joiners and widely spaced feeders wired from buses which run under the layout. The spacing between the feeder wires will be reduced as I get the time, which will also reduce the need to depend upon the rail joiners for a good connection. Hope that helps your understanding of my wiring.

Here's a picture taken at Union, Oregon, on the layout

Attachments

• mvc-006s.jpg
    mvc-006s.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 174

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Upguy, enjoyed my visit to your layout, signed your guest book, wished I lived closer. You have a large and well set up layout, I love doing scenery and I'm sure you would let me work in a couple of those areas, oh ya, and run some trains too. :D

Bill P

upguy

Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
Bill,

Thanks for the offer of helping with the layout construction (and the operating). I, too, wish you lived closer. I just returned home from working on the layout--another three hours spent by myself, but that's okay.

I spent the afternoon trying to make old boards into usable lumber for some of the modules. I didn't accomplish a whole lot, but I have the day off from work tomorrow. I may take some more time constructing module frames.

I looked at your guestbook entry on my website. Boy, I didn't realize how many pop-up ads Homestead was subjecting visitors to until I checked it just now! There sure were a lot of ducks to shoot! I guess that's the price of free web space.

Here is a picture that I took today.

Attachments

• mvc-048s.jpg
    mvc-048s.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 107

upguy

Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
Mike (aka Tyson),

Well, maybe my website will help someone to decide to settle (or retire) in my area. It is a beautiful part of the country IMHO. :D I'm trying everything that I can think of to generate some interest in this area for model railroaders.

Are you guys just visiting my website because you know that every time I post here I try to attach another photo? :rolleyes: Pretty sneeky way of getting more pictures if it is. ;)

Anyone planning on attending the N Scale Collectors Convention in Medford, Oregon, in June? I'm still trying to decide how I can work it into my schedule. Perhaps I'll be able to meet some of you in person if it works out.

Attachments

• mvc-047s.jpg
    mvc-047s.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 99

upguy

Jan 26, 2001
Canyon City, Oregon, USA
http
After many, many frustrating attempts to update the website, I was finally able to access it for a few changes (Homestead finally got around to removing obstacles).

Things are looking better in the worker department for the Canyon Mtn Ngineers. There are now 3 of us that are regulars every Monday night. One fellow recently moved from New Mexico and the other one from Alaska! I'm expecting another man and son to show up (am maybe do some contributing) soon.

Work is mainly consisting of finishing up the track work on the existing benchwork, so we can do some more scenery. Bob (from New Mexico) is a very knowledgeable (genius, to me) about electronics, and he is building a signaling system better than I ever expected in my wildest dreams! :D

Pat (from Alaska) is laying track faster than I can plan. I hope we don't have to rip it out somewhere down the line; but, I guess, that often happens anyway as a layout evolves. We are almost to a point that some operating sessions can be attempted and some experiments can to done to see just how well everything will come together.

Here is a recent picture of the Telocaset module (where most of the scenery work has been done to this point).

Attachments

• mvc-177.jpg
    mvc-177.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 63