Cant you speed this forum up?

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Its a little slow at times, I hate to waitto read what I have written, after all that is why we post isnt it? To see what we right and if anyone agrees? LOL

Maybe we can help raise the 3 K needed to do what ever needs done, any agree with that?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yes, there's no doubt that the Gauge server has been exceptionally slow. We mentioned a while back that we would be changing servers soon, we have pushed this one to the limits. It's as frustrating to us as it is to you, so we ask you to bare with us for a bit longer, Peter is working on it and we'll let you know as soon as we have any information. At this moment, the Gauge is running fine, but as you have experienced, it can really get sluggish sometimes.wall1

I want to take this opportunity to ask those of you that haven't signed up for the Gauge Google group, to please do so. It doesn't cost anything and it will provide a means of communication should this forum go off-line during the changeover period. We have no idea if it will take ten minutes or ten hours to make the change, but we want to be prepared. There is a thread right here that tells you about our Google group.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Something I've found that helped other forums is using an image host like imageshack for any attached images. That way the imageshack servers are handling all the image downloads and the gauge server takes care of the pages. There should be plugins or modifications for vBulletin to do this without too much trouble.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
LoudMusic said:
Something I've found that helped other forums is using an image host like imageshack for any attached images. That way the imageshack servers are handling all the image downloads and the gauge server takes care of the pages. There should be plugins or modifications for vBulletin to do this without too much trouble.
Not everyone wants to use an image server although many here do. That's been one hallmark of the Gauge to allow uploading pictures directly to the post. Again, the problem will be solved when we do change servers and we don't want to place any restrictions that we don't have to while we're waiting, We only ask that everyone have a bit of patience until we do change.:D

I have had problems like this before, most notably on AOL dialup.
We now use a cable connection at 100Mbps. I don't think that's a super
fast connection, but opening The-Gauge and then The Caboose takes
under 10 seconds. Our internet connection at the office is noticeably slower.
Our ISP at home is Charter Communications. There are times when a response
drags out, but mostly it's not much lag time.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
cidchase said:
I have had problems like this before, most notably on AOL dialup.
We now use a cable connection at 100Mbps. I don't think that's a super
fast connection, but opening The-Gauge and then The Caboose takes
under 10 seconds. Our internet connection at the office is noticeably slower.
Our ISP at home is Charter Communications. There are times when a response
drags out, but mostly it's not much lag time.

I don't want to go bursting anybody's bubble, but I believe what you have is a 3Mbps connection to the internet. The 100Mbps connection is between you and your cable modem ;)

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
I have a question - I do not know much about internet sites, but how does the Gauge survive? Is it done from a free Website or does it rely soley on the advertisement banners on this site. Just curious.. I know that I do not want to open a can of worms, but would voluntary donations from Gauge members be accepted toward this absolutely generous wealth of knowledge in the model railroad community.. Just curious.. I know i would kick in a few bucks for it. Heck im paying major $$$ for A subscription for a well known popular train magazine... This is a practical website and it is down to earth and easy to understand. If anyone has a question, there are several responses the next day , if not sooner.. This " magazine in question" would take a month or more to get the question published, if its published..
God Bless those responsible for "The Gauge"

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
hooknlad said:
I have a question - I do not know much about internet sites, but how does the Gauge survive? Is it done from a free Website or does it rely soley on the advertisement banners on this site. Just curious.. I know that I do not want to open a can of worms, but would voluntary donations from Gauge members be accepted toward this absolutely generous wealth of knowledge in the model railroad community.. Just curious.. I know i would kick in a few bucks for it. Heck im paying major $$$ for A subscription for a well known popular train magazine... This is a practical website and it is down to earth and easy to understand. If anyone has a question, there are several responses the next day , if not sooner.. This " magazine in question" would take a month or more to get the question published, if its published..
God Bless those responsible for "The Gauge"
That's a very generous though there Michael, one that doesn't go unappreciated.:) The fact is that the Gauge is soley supported by these banner adds and "click-throughs". The Gauge is owed by Peter Davis who also owns a few other specialty forums, and to be frank, I don't know how he does it, but he does; he's never asked for anything and he has never suggested to cut back service. To be sure, he is right now arranging for us to move to a different server so that we will go back to having faster and more complete access.:D We are all aware that we have maxed out this server and that's why we are having slow access when we do. This incidentally is not the first time Pete has had to move to a new server. Let's face it, we are up to over 5,000 members, around 1,000 of us have been active on this forum these past 30 days. We are not counting those that are registered, but don't log in when they come and visit here.

But back to your offer, we appreciate it but as of now, Peter seems to have everything well in hand. It's members like you that make our jobs worthwhile. Mikey, myself and all the moderators volunteer our time because this is the best train forum on the planet, and I've said it before, I get more out of this than I can ever give back.:thumb: :thumb:

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Jim Krause said:
Dang! I've been blaming my 10 year old computer and Windows 98 software.

Well keep on blaiming because that computer sure isn't helping your situation :)

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Thank You Peter Davis for your Support !!!

Don,
Thanx for your prompt answer.
announce1 I would like to Personally thank Peter Davis :thumb: for making "The Gauge" available to all of us. I'm glad that "The Gauge" is available to all to use . All of the moderators and all involved deserved a great big round of applause as well. This site is a very informative, Non spam site, that allows ALL to join. Any type of Spam or rude behavior is duly taken care of and is dealt with w/o the knowledge of the members. I truly feel safe on this site and the information displayed is beyond that of what any competitive site or magazine could offer. Magazines do not allow the readers to become friends. A lot of Love and happiness seems to be brought out from the members, you definitely can't do that with a magazine. If any of you Mods or Admins need a hand, I'd like to volunteer my time and input in keeping "The Gauge" a great Site.

Thanx again to all - especially to Peter Davis

balloon6 bounce7 balloon6
P.S. I just downloaded the Spellcheck offered from The Gauge, it is great !!!!​

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
hooknlad said:
Don,
Thanx for your prompt answer.
announce1 I would like to Personally thank Peter Davis :thumb: for making "The Gauge" available to all of us. I'm glad that "The Gauge" is available to all to use . All of the moderators and all involved deserved a great big round of applause as well. This site is a very informative, Non spam site, that allows ALL to join. Any type of Spam or rude behavior is duly taken care of and is dealt with w/o the knowledge of the members. I truly feel safe on this site and the information displayed is beyond that of what any competitive site or magazine could offer. Magazines do not allow the readers to become friends. A lot of Love and happiness seems to be brought out from the members, you definitely can't do that with a magazine. If any of you Mods or Admins need a hand, I'd like to volunteer my time and input in keeping "The Gauge" a great Site.

Thanx again to all - especially to Peter Davis

balloon6 bounce7 balloon6
P.S. I just downloaded the Spellcheck offered from The Gauge, it is great !!!!​

Thanks for the kind coments :D :D We'll keep you in mind if we need any help :) :) .... very thoughtful of you and it's very much appreciated...

I don't want to go bursting anybody's bubble, but I believe what you have is a 3Mbps connection to the internet. The 100Mbps connection is between you and your cable modem

I'm sure you're correct, Loud, the # means little to me, just what the
network setting lists. I'm just sayin' it works fine for me at home. I hope it
does for you as well>:)

And Thank You, Peter!!:thumb: :thumb: