Can't please everyone

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
I copied this posting from the Bachmann forum. Thought it was rather humorous.
Bill

I have had all kind of problems with my large scale equipment.(1) when I carry the shay under my arm all the little parts
break off! (2) the shay is too slow. can it be rewired to go faster? and can Bachman make this stuff more rugged for the
outdoor railroader so we can have fun without leaving parts all over the yard? I would suggest cast on grab irons like they
have in HO scale this was one of the most wounderful inventions. please make the next large scale more rugged.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Dear Mr. Bachmann,

I have an HO-scale 2-8-0 Consolidation. When I take it to shows, I like to hit it repeatedly with an 8 pound hammer. Pieces keep breaking off, and the engine no longer runs. Can Bachmann make these things more rugged so that they can withstand repeated blows with heavy hammers?

Also, I would like to run a train under water. I've been trying to run my Prairie Flyer set under water, and I keep getting shocked by the power pack. I don't understand why Bachmann can't make a power pack that doesn't shock the user when the pack is placed underwater. I think this is irresponsible engineering on the part of Bachmann.

Oh, and one other thing. I prefer to run my trains at night by the light of a full moon. The moon is at about one quarter right now. Can you make it full so I can run my trains?

Thank you,

-A Complete Idiot

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Here's another one from the Trains.com forum. Is there a full moon out or something?
I have assemble some Detail West Switch stands - Ground throw. After painting one, I was really disapointed. My black looks too fake, too shiny. I have used Tamiya Paints. Do you have any paint mix to make it more real like ? I always see in magazines that Floquil Paints looks to be the best. Unfortunately, I am not able to get this product. Tamiya & testors only.
===
Sounds like you used paint with a glossy finish instead of a flat finish. If you can repaint and don't want to get more paint, or can't find a flat finish paint, try adding a little talcum powder to the paint you have. (Experiment with this first!)
===
Since I am a beginner in painting. COuld you tell me what is talcum powder and if it's easy to find ?

I noticed last week that the train slowed down as it got farther away from the throttle, so I decided to increase the power. I plugged the pack into the 220volt dryer socket and the train took off smoking and roaring like a steam locomitve should. The problem is it's a SD40 and now it doesn't want to move.

Also, you told me to make sure that the decoder was firmly installed, but those darn 12-penny nails go through the whole engine. Can you send a replacement? Thanx

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Here's another one, also Bachmann (coloring is mine):
Q: If I have my Acela on a mile of Straight Track will it gain more speed and power being that it is on straight track?

A: Unless you have additional power feed every 50 feet or so, your Acela will slow down as it moves further away from your
MRC power pack.
(Are we doing your physics homework for you?)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I was tempted to post that, but I figured I'd better behave! :)

OK, I'm not the most worldly guy (well, maybe a little), but at least I know what talcum powder is! I have a kid, so I'm pretty familiar with the stuff! :)

It takes different strokes to move the world, but unfortunately some are rowing in the wrong direction!

-Rory

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Actually, most kids are "exposed" to talcum powder at a very young age, right? By the way, you can't refuse a double dog dare - haven't you ever seen that movie?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Stupidity follows the water cycle. When the sun is out the stupidity evaporates, and rises into the clouds. When it precipitates,,, all the stupidity falls, and everyone gets stupid.

If you don't believe me, try driving in the rain,or snow,or.......

It HAD TO have been raining !

I run my toy trains underwater, in all phases of the moon, and when I get shocked I hit everything with a big hammer.... Works for me. OOPS, that was the Talc I just hit, now everything has a "flat" finish.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Here's how I explain stupidity:

1. Some people are stupid nearly all the time. This is due to a defect in their personality or brain. Aside from those who are afflicted with a medical condition, these are usually the clueless people: airheads, hair twirlers, college protesters, etc.
2. Everyone is stupid for at least some of the time. The human brain simply can't handle everything that we put into it at every single moment, so sometimes our intelligence shuts down and we make errors in judgement.
3. At any given moment, at least 1 in 4 people are being stupid. For example, if you are driving down the highway and there are three cars around you, then the driver of at least one of those cars is being stupid. It could even be you! (Probably because you are distracted while thinking about which one of the other three drivers is being stupid).

So, basically, none of us are immune to occassional bouts of stupidity; but some suffer from chronic stupidity.

Anyway, the other day I was carrying talcum powder under my arm when...

-Rory

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
So why do we get stupider when we are grouped together...nothing in this world dumber than a cluster of humans...except maybe Turkeys...and those who call in for Windows Technical Support on everything not related to Windows...does that change the 1 in 4 rule?

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Justind,

The fact that I'm stupid 1/4 of the time makes it difficult to be precise, but I think that group-stupidity is the result of amplification of individual stupidity.

It works something like this:

* If only one person in the group is acting stupid, then that individual is shunned.

* If several individuals happen to be stupid in sync, they have the potential to seek each other out and give each other Moral Reinforcement. Moral Reinforcement works on the principal that individuals suffering from stupidity will continue to do so if they believe their behavior to be correct. Seeing others act stupid around them provides "proof" that their own behavior is correct, so they therefore continue to act stupid.

* Even if an individual is not begin stupid, acting stupid sometimes becomes appealing because it looks like so much fun.

* Stupid people are usually the loudest, and the loudest people are usually put in positions of management.

* As the Stupidity Movement gains strength within the group, the group begins to divide into two camps: the Stupid People and the Generally Non-Stupid People. This division is the "falling down" point of the group, because the Generally Non-Stupid People get angry with the stupidity of the Stupid People. Anger can cause stupidity, which means that the Generally Non-Stupid People begin to act stupid. The group will then reunite under new management (the Loud Stupid People).

* Eventually, those few Generally Non-Stupid People who are left get completely frustrated and give up trying to make things run right, so the whole group Goes to Hell in a Handbasket.

* When the group reaches the Goes to Hell in a Handbasket stage, some people will "wake up" from their stupidity, and the group will again splinter into two or more camps. The majority will remain with the Stupid People where they will Burn in Hell, and the rest will scatter to the Four Winds.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

-Rory

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Rory,

Have you ever been to N.H. during a snow storm? If you ever get a chance you'd be amazed at all the stupid people.

As for turkeys you just cant get them with a car their to darn fast as I have tried,But deer like to jump out in front of me.

"You might be from N.H. if your grandparents drive 60mph in three feet of snow":D :D

Shane

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Mr Bachmann,
Are you telling me I need track and a power supply for the Shay (the one with it's bits lying all over the yard) before it can run????

Sheeese ... is this a ripoff or what??????

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Nope, I've never been to New Hampshire, but I'd like to visit some day.

I have, however, been in both Houston and Austin after the bridges have frozen over. It seems that many people don't realize that you should SLOW DOWN when there is ice on the roads. Scary...

-Rory