Can't find my darn snowshovel...,

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Gil, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Elk and moose

Hi Lizzie!

How are things over in Anchorage? I´ve often dreamed about going to Talkeetna for a to fly-in to McKinley - one of the fine peaks I have yet to climb...
    Yep, elk and moose are very similar but I think the kind you have in Alaska and in Canada are a bit taller..?
    In our garden, the main problem is rheindeer and hares, which I, without much success I might add, try to keep away from my newly-grafted young apple trees...

greetings from Sweden (along roughly the same latitude as Anchorage)!
    Bengt Fredén
  2. What's that line from Twain, "the coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in San Francisco". But that aside the absolutely prettiest urban setting on Earth IMO
  3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I hate February. The temperature has been bouncing between too cold (below 0F) and too warm (above freezing). I've been coaching kids Nordic skiing which is fun if the temperature is good. I've got the six and seven year old. They're really fun. Yesterday, I figured out that had a strap that would attach to my pack so that we could pretend ski-joring and dog-mushing with me as the husky. They liked being towed up the hills. That sure gave me a workout.

I haven't had any problem with reindeer (caribou) or hares (snowshoe rabbits). The caribou are farther north and the hares go in cycles. I have my apple trees planted behind a fence tall enough to keep the moose out. I've wrapped my young birch trees with wire mesh about 15 feet tall.

A couple of years ago I helped teach skiing to a group of kids in a Norwegian language class. The teacher said that moose in Norwegian is Elg. Elk to North American's means wapiti (vapiti). She had them singing songs in Norwegian and I tried to follow along. I don't remember much of it.
    I suppose with living at the same latitude as Helsinki, Oslo, and Stockholm and coach Nordic skiing I'm almost Scandinavian. I understand that Nordic skiing is even more popular here than it is in Scandinavia.

Make sure you do your planning for climbing Denali/McKinley and be willing to turn back if the weather gets bad. It's a dangerous mountain.

4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Here what I woke up to this morning.

:cry: I messed up the picture. I have to get on a conf. call. Will post it later.

:twisted: New picture!!!!