Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Werner Smuts, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

My name is Werner and I have done a few paper models, but i really need help. I'm really tired of making Aircraft canopy's out of paper and not using the full potential of some models i had built. How do i make clear plastic canopies for my models. Is there a thread or something explaining how to create plastic canopies for paper aircraft.

Thanks for the help!
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You're in luck..................... Yes there are several threads and Ted (The Master) CMDRTED is here and has even listed a vacuum plans for vac-u-forming them.

Just give a search and check out the Chris' archives.
  3. Werner Smuts

Werner Smuts Member

Thank you, I guess you won't know how much I appreciate this, you've helped me more than you can realize!
    This seems to be so much easier than I originally thought it would be.
  4. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I just felt like giving my two cents: When I want a clear canopy, I actually just take a piece of clear plastic (from any sort of merchandise packaging, like the box of an action figure), and just cut out the printed shape of the canopy on the plastic and fold it the same way.
  5. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

This is a good place to mention this product. A couple of weeks ago I was digging through my modeling tool box and found a tube of "Watch Crystal Cement". GOOD STUFF!! It has a hypodermic needle nozzle so makes a fine line of glue. Clear, and doesn't fog clear parts. I don't know where I got it, but it comes in an orange and white box, and is listed in the MicroMark catalog.

6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

7. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Plastic Canopies from Plastic Wraps

That is what I do, too - I have an immense collection of plastic wrappings, for example for marker pens or pencils.
    Sometimes they fit quite OK if you´re lucky, with a little scissors or knife trimming or a little heat shaping.

A great, cheap and quick way to do a cockpit canopy, I think.

All the best,
    Bengt :D
  8. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

The same thing I also do. But the problem i face is I am not able to stick plastic pieces together so I always end up with compromising results.
    I am looking for some special glue which can glue the plastis to a plastic and plastic to a paper as well.
  9. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Have you tried superglue or the glue used for plastic models? I use a combination of both when gluing plastic to paper. A small amount of superglue to attach the plastic to the card/paper, then I add plastic model glue along the rest of the edge and let it soak onto the paper/card.
  10. sakrison

sakrison Member

I've had good luck with WeldBond glue.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.