Canon's Hwaseong Fortress

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by cdavenport, Dec 7, 2009.

1. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Canon models are some of the best. I was amazed at the level of detail in this model that only measures 9.375 inches at the base. It really holds up fairly well in my staged photo. (I need training in digital art to make these look more photo real.)

That's my son, Michael, who needed the model for a class project he is doing. He and I worked on that model a solid 8 hours!

Attached Files:

2. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Great photos and a nice model - well done!

3. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Well done cd! I like the last photo. Now if y'all were inside the fortress, in samurai garb, fending off a horde of invaders.....that would be impressive! :twisted:
  4. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

You jest. But, I actually thought of doing that. I tried finding some large images of samurai warriors and putting out faces in the outfit. Then, I could composite "us" on the castle walls.

But, I realized there is a problem. This is a Korean samurais in Korea.
  5. davelant

davelant Member

I think it might be plausible if you put the samurai on the outside of the walls. Japan invaded and temporarily occupied parts of Korea in the sixteenth century, viewing the peninsula as the royal road to the conquest of China. You can guess how that turned out. This fortress was built much later, and as far as I can tell never saw combat.

But don't worry about what I say; I make "vroom" and "ka-pow" noises when I play with my paper airplanes.
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Your history is quite correct. I was stationed in Korea and learned as much as I could. In fact, Korea was once referred to as the "doormat of Asia." If it wasn't the Japanese invading from one direction, it was the Chinese from the other.

I have forgotten the actual number, less the nK invasion of 1950, Korea has been invaded a bunch of times!
  7. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

And your point would be......what? sign1

I'm sure more than a few of us go "clank-clank", "choo-choo", "star wars noises", "ship noises", and so forth and so on. You're in good company.:mrgreen:

And thanks for the mini-history lesson. I find background like that most interesting.
  8. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

I like it, too. It puts the model in perspective.
  9. mauther

mauther Active Member

10. can't_decide

can't_decide New Member

Good looking work on the model. I also like how you've put yourself into the work.