Canadian Railway Structure Colors?

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Nov 10, 2006
Perth, Ontario
I have a DPM Freight Depot kit unfinished. The brick work is a Tuscan Red. What color would CP likely have painted the trim work on an older stone/brick structure. Was there a standard color? What color would CN, ON or other Canadian railways have used for their trim paint? Thanks

Eric

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Eric,

Nice to have seen you at Railfair...

David's 50 year old memory seems to match my ~25 year old memory of the CPR witches' hat station in Orangeville. It was maroon/tuscan - but again it was wood.

I would keep it "brick" colour - if the era you are modelling means that the building was relatively new, it (theoretically) would not have been painted over yet. The Smiths Falls station (also CPR) is brick, and I don't think it's ever been painted. The trim is brown and/or green, but brick is brick... ;)

Hope that helps.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's the former CPR station at Goderich, Ontario. The brick is unpainted, but even the door appears to be brick-coloured. :eek: Of course, this one has been out of service for some time, so the trim colour may not be original. Hard to tell what colour the window frames in the turret are, but the ones on the right match the door.
fresh_foe-toes_0082.jpg

Wayne

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Nov 10, 2006
Perth, Ontario
Wow fellas. Thats a lot of good info real quick. I was leaning towards a grey or green color with soot stains for the trim. I will check the other suggested groups also. Thanks guys.

Eric