Canadian Railway Signage Q&A

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Some weeks ago I posed the question as to where I can acquire prototypical railway signs! The answer is from two Canadian manufacturers: Osborn Model Kits and from Signalisation. Both companies have decent web sites for info...take a look yourself.

Now the question. It seems to me that most model rr layouts are viewed from a perpendicular point to the track. Therefore, should signage be placed so the operator can see it and respond accordingly or should it be placed for the engineer in the cab?? An example is speed limits or whistle blow points etc. If the operator can see the sign they would adjust speed or horn blow as necessary! What are your opinions please.

Thanks
Eric from the Algoma and Rideau

Pooh Bah
Eric: It would depend on the purpose of the signs. If you're photographing it for a magazine (or the Gauge) you'll want to have them in prototypical fashion. If they're information for your operators, you'll want them so that they can read them.
Maybe, put them in properly and have a duplicate sign on the fascia board.

doctorwayne

It also depends on how far the scene is from the operator. Most of my layout is only a couple of feet deep, and with walk-around throttles, the whistle posts, speed limit signs and clearance warnings are usually pretty easy to see. Of course, I'm the usual operator, so I do know where they are, too. ;):-D

100_5848.JPG

100_5849.JPG

100_5680.JPG

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Wayne,

That's a gorgeous shot (the last one). Looks like something out of Ian Wilson's books!

David,

What you wrote was exactly what popped into my head as I was reading Eric's question. So Eric - you have a seconder for the "repeat on facia" idea! ;)

Andrew